Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blair, Teague, Lawson and Holiday make their case

Default Blair, Teague, Lawson and Holiday make their case

who will it be?

Four primary draft targets -- Blair, Teague, Lawson and Holiday -- make their case why Pacers should pick them

By Mike Wells and Mark Dent
    Posted: June 16, 2009
    IndyStar

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ake+their+case

Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, Wake Forest's Jeff Teague, North Carolina's Ty Lawson and UCLA's Jrue Holiday worked out for Indiana Pacers coaches and officials Monday at Conseco Fieldhouse.

The four prospects ran plays, shot jumpers and showed off various other skills as the countdown to the June 25 draft continues.

--- excerpts ---

Q: The Pacers play an up-and-down style with a lot of 3-point shooting. Can you adapt to that?

Lawson: "Definitely. We ran up and down during my three years at North Carolina. This is my style because I love to play up and down. I'm knocking my 3 down on a regular (basis) now, so it's a great fit."

Q: There's been talk about knee problems. Do you think that can hurt your stock?

Blair: "It could. . . . I feel good, I feel great. My knee is stable. I've been playing on it for four, five years straight. It's up to the teams. It goes back to high school."

Q: Why should the Pacers select you?

Teague: "I'm a hometown guy. I grew up a Pacers fan. I've been here my whole life, so all I know is Pacers basketball. I feel I have a great relationship with the fans in Indiana, and I think I could bring some more fans to the games."

Q: Why should the Pacers select you?

Holiday: "They should select me because I bring a lot to the table: height, skill and ability at the point guard position. I have an advantage because I went to UCLA. That means defense. And I'm just a great person."
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-16-2009 at 07:20 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Blair, Teague, Lawson and Holiday make their case

I really hope its not Teague, #13 its too early for him (unless we can workout a draft day trade to get another player). Holiday would be the best pick but he'll be gone by #13. Blair and Lawson seem like realistic picks.

But who knows, we got Granger at #17. Anything can happen
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I don't know why but what Holiday said made me laugh - "I'm just a great person!"

Better not be Blair, we already have Granger, Rush, and Dunleavy, why do we need another 6-7 6-9 Forward! I can see us taking a point guard, but goodness sake don't take some small guard. We already have 3 small point guards and their defense really suffers because of it!

What happened to picking an athletic big man?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to picking an athletic big man?
    You can't pick one if there isn't one worth picking.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    Better not be Blair, we already have Granger, Rush, and Dunleavy, why do we need another 6-7 6-9 Forward
    Blair is nothing like those 3. That's like saying "We've got Pippen, why would we want Barkley?"
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I don't know why but what Holiday said made me laugh - "I'm just a great person!"
    Me, too. For some reason that is hilarious.

I think Teague at 13 is way too early, I am not a huge fan of his. Lawson is okay but he is limited. I am really intrigued by Blair but I would most likely take Holliday at this pick if these were the four we were considering.

However, I am pretty convinced the Pacers are going to draft James Johnson out of Wake Forest. Just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Blair is nothing like those 3. That's like saying "We've got Pippen, why would we want Barkley?"

I don't know why people are getting so hung up on Blair's height, anyways, not to go too off topic. Yeah it's a consideration, but not a deal killer, far as I'm concerned.

Just by way of comparision, one of my fav all time teams was the Sonics in the mid 80's. They used to run a roster of Tom Chambers at center, with Xavier McDaniel, Derrick McKey, Nate McMillen, Eddie Johnson, and Dale Ellis. Chambers was the tallest at 6'10. The rest fo the guys were 6'7 and under.

They won with good shooting and bruising, stifling D. Now, granted, this team isn't built like that Sonics team, but my point being that it's HOW the skill set is used and not the physical size. Just by way of comparision, X-man was only 6'7 or so, and would put you on your butt on a regular basis, no matter how big you were.

Anthony Mason was another guy who played that way. Same with Charles Oakley.

My biggest concern with Blair is "how tough can he play?" I was hoping Patrick Patterson might be that guy for us, but he opted to stay in school. (Not a smart move in a draft with a dearth of big men)

Thanks for the post, Putnam.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Out of those 4 Ty Lawson

I would pick him because he is a game changer, Lightning quick, comes from a winning program.

Blair/Holiday are probably gone

Teague- good range, score first, but a stretch.

JOB said the player we draft we will have seen him play 4 or 5 times. I do not know if this is correct because if Johnny Flynn drops and you have a choice b/t him and Lawson what does Larry do?

KEEP IN MIND GOLDEN STATE'S DRAFT HISTORY

Mood

Out of the four I really like Jrue Holiday and Blair. Lawson is too small, we have a couple of small guards already. Teague just seems to be disinterested, I was reading some quotes from gms at workouts. They too said he didnt talk on the court or let people know where to go. He didnt guide the big men. I just dont think he is ready yet.

Jrue taller point guard who seems like a great kid. He played out of position last year so stats really doesnt show what he can do at the pg position.

Blair was a man among boys last year. Like everyone else the only thing that concerns me is his height. I agree we do need a bruiser, but the pf we should draft will go in the top five, Jordan Hill.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

No offense, but everyone keeps saying Barkley for Blair, that's not fair to him first of all. Also, Barkely is once in a couple of generations type player. Blair isn't Charles in any possible way.

Tell me one other "Barkley" ever, I'm too young to remember Wes Unseld, but I really can't think of another guy who was able to do those things at his size, period.

It's justification to take an undersized guy early, imo. If he WAS the next Barkley, he'd be the #1 overall pick. Let's say he's like the next Maxiel, then I'd be okay with it.

I'm not saying Blair can't play in the league, but the Barkley argument is not valid, imo.

Yes, Kravitz I'm looking at you.

Yes the Barkley comparisons are silly. Once Chuck lost weight he must have had about a 38 inch vertical. Dude could sky, and was quick. I like Skaut's Charles Oakley comparison. Or Wes Unseld if you are old school (but that could be a stretch). At minimum a Rick Mahorn-type toughness.

The height doesn't worry me so much, since he has the length and the attitude. It's as if people would value him more if his neck was two inches longer, making the top of his head 6'9". I never heard of a guy bothering another person's shot by the height of his head.

For all the talk of his intelligence, aggressiveness in going after rebounds, positioning, good footwork, and yes the blurb about being good in the community I hope that Blair is available at #13 and that Larry pulls the trigger.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-16-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Yes the Barkley comparisons are silly. Once Chuck lost weight he must have had about a 38 inch vertical. Dude could sky, and was quick. I like Skaut's Charles Oakley comparison. Or Wes Unseld if you are old school (but that could be a stretch). At minimum a Rick Mahorn-type toughness.

The height doesn't worry me so much, since he has the length and the attitude. It's as if people would value him more if his neck was two inches longer, making the top of his head 6'9". I never heard of a guy bothering another person's shot by the height of his head.

For all the talk of his intelligence, aggressiveness in going after rebounds, positioning, good footwork, and yes the blurb about being good in the community I hope that Blair is available at #13 and that Larry pulls the trigger.
    Agree 100% with the height thing.

I remember meeting Jason Maxiel at IHOP right before the draft and the first thing I thought was, "This dude is way too short to be an effective PF in the NBA!" What I failed to take into consideration was his muscular frame, long arms, and quick leaping ability.

That's what makes short PFs like Maxiel, Paul Millsap, Brandon Bass, Reggie Evans, and Carl Landry successful on the NBA level. Whatever they lack in height, they make up for it in other ways. Those are the five guys that are currently playing in the NBA that I'd compare him to.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I thought that was funny too. Glad he thinks so!

I've warmed up to Blair after reading this. He fits a very specific role, and he knows that. It doesn't solve our problem for low post scoring by any means, but maybe in time he could become decent. Dale Davis averaged 8 ppg for his career and maxed out at 11.7. But, he averaged nearly 10 rpg in his prime playing around 30 mpg. Now, Blair is no Dale, but that's the kind of toughness I think of. If we got him, I'd hope we get a later pick to grab another talented guy.

I originally didn't want either of the UNC guys, but I've changed my mind. I'd be alright with Hansbrough because he is definitely a worker and he is bigger than I thought he was. I thought he'd measure out short, but he's 6'9.5" I think we'd have to be in the teens to get him though, as I think he's a Jerry Sloan type of guy. And I think Lawson will wind up being better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. He's played the best college teams in the country, improved each year, and thoroughly dominated the tourney last season. He's very effective and I think he's a hard worker. Plus I think all the doubt will motivate him to prove a lot of people wrong. Loved what he said about where he'd be in 5 years. Top 3 PG is awfully ambitious.

It's not the height thing, how can you look at Blair and the first thing that sticks out is he is too short? I look at him and think man this guy needs to drop some freakin' pounds. No thanks. Tractor Traylor Part Deux.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The scary thing is that he actually believes it. I don't know the guy, but he is screaming JO pt. II (and has been since I first saw one of his interviews).

I have a problem with players who think they're better than they actually are (JO, AJ, Shawne, Baby Al, Sarunas....do you see where this is going?).

GMs, coaches and teammates eventually will too.

There's something I've been wondering, and ESutt raises it here:

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    I've warmed up to Blair after reading this. He fits a very specific role, and he knows that.

In a weak draft where the Pacers just aren't going to get a super player at the 13th pick, they have a choice between a second- or third-tier player and a role player who can do something really well, but not everything.

Which is the better course of action?

Supposing you pick the second-tier guy. He's going to give you 8-12 minutes off the bench and be weaker than our current starter at whatever position he plays. On the other hand, if you pick a role player with a single outstanding quality, you've got something. Blair would be the Pacers' top enforcer in the paint from the moment he stepped on the court. If that is something the Pacers need (and it is) then Blair gives you added strength in a positive way, while the other kind of player only gives you depth.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    It's not the height thing, how can you look at Blair and the first thing that sticks out is he is too short? I look at him and think man this guy needs to drop some freakin' pounds. No thanks. Tractor Traylor Part Deux.
    It's my understanding that he did. I read that he's lost 35 pounds since his sophomore year. I think his weight is in the 265 range?? For you old school guys, that's comparable to Anthony Mason from the old Knicks. Same height and weight.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I thought of the Mason comparison, but Mason was really good with the ball- a great dribbler and smart passer, which is pretty rare for a guy that big and I don't think Blair has that.

I think most of the league was convinced "Big Baby" Davis would be an absolute bust, hence his drop to round 2. I know I did. I'm still not sure he should be a starter anywhere, despite how well he filled in for KG, but the development of his game was impressive. I don't think anybody was raving about his work ethic going into the draft, but somehow he found it.

Predicting a guy's love for the game and desire to get better has to be one of the hardest aspects to the NBA draft, or any pro sports draft. Carlos Boozer seemed to have no measureables but succeeds wildly. Then you have the Mel Turpins, Joe Barry Carrolls, Michael Olowokandis, and even David Harrisions of the world who seem to punch the clock as long as the checks arrive.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Predicting a guy's love for the game and desire to get better has to be one of the hardest aspects to the NBA draft, or any pro sports draft.
    Just ask Brad Miller.

Skaut, Blair just dropped a ton of weight from the end of the PITT season to the workout period, forget sophmore year. The counter concern from that is that dropping it quick could also mean putting it back on quick. Personally I liked him at his PITT playing weight, as long as he didn't go beyond that.

Of course his knees might beg to differ. The knee issue is the concern. I'm assuming that they did an MRI and/or XRay and found signs of wear or damage that could grow into a bigger issue, at least from the way it was reported.

Then again I really hate drafting against injury concerns. A lot of teams jumped over Granger because of it, and plenty of apparently healthy guys get injured out of nowhere. Grant Hill comes to mind there.

Ima - I just don't read Jrue like you are. I think he comes off as a nice, freshman aged college kid that likes to goof and is pleasantly easy going. He's not intense and therefore things like "I'm a great guy" come off more funny to me than egotistical. When I've watched interviews with him that people thought came off bad, I just didn't see it.

Of course Blair comes off just stellar. I couldn't imagine a nicer guy outside of Hibbert, at least as he presents himself. Sincere and thoughtful, educated - totally belies his enforcer style of play which intrigues me.

The only way I want Lawson is if we have another first round pick to acquire him. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but when's the last time a UNC player has actually had a really good pro player? It seems like forever as all their last few batches of stars haven't really amounted to more than role players. The program may be winning, but in terms of producing really good pros, its last few batches have been busts.

I'd love to have Holiday or Blair, but I doubt Holiday is available at #13, and there's a 50-50 chance that Blair won't be either. I'm enamored with Blair's style of play. Our frontcourt doesn't really have much attitude or personality, I think Blair would definitely bring his fair share. Yes, he's short, but look at what Paul Millsap is doing for the Jazz.

I'd be concerned about Jrue if I had ever read anything that pegged him as anything other than a really good kid. Since I haven't read that, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the modern-day Wes Unseld comparison for Blair. Blair's a warrior who was arguably the most productive player in college basketball all while playing overweight. It's scary to think how good he could be with his likely increased mobility, agility, and stamina.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Q: Why should the Pacers select you with the 13th pick?

Blair: "I bring a low-post presence, toughness, rebounding. I think I would have fun. The coach is great. I could fit in this system. They play four out, one in. They spread the court. That's the way I like to play. The city is great. This is a good team, and I think I would fit perfect. I'm a tough worker. I work hard. I try not to take any plays off."

Q: How important is it to be a role model?

Blair: "That's the biggest thing besides playing basketball because there are a lot of kids that look up to NBA players. I want to be one of the successful role models in the city I go to and in Pittsburgh. I want to be an entrepreneur in Pittsburgh because I won't always be here. I always want to be able to go back and be that person that everybody looks up to."

How can you not love what this guy has to say?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post: