Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Smith anybody? ESPN trade rumor

Banned

Default Josh Smith anybody? ESPN trade rumor

ESPN.com
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...%3d09DraftBuzz
    POSTED: June 15 -- 2:08 p.m. ET

Smith
    Chad Ford: The big trade rumor flying around (if you're already tired of the Shaq-to-Cleveland talk) centers on the Hawks' Josh Smith. Several league sources told ESPN.com that the Hawks have been working hard the past few weeks to see whether they can find a taker for Smith.

The Hawks have some financial issues coming into the summer. Two key players, Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams, are free agents. So are a few others on the roster -- Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia and Ronald Murray. Although the Hawks would like to keep those players, they can't afford to pay all of them. That has opened the door to the possibility of trading Smith, who, although talented, has a reputation as a difficult player to coach.

The Hawks have had no problem finding teams interested in Smith. The issue is the whopping $6 million trade kicker attached to his contract. The trade kicker essentially would require the team that trades for Smith to pay him the $6 million immediately. In this economic climate, many owners will balk at the payment.

"You are going to see very few owners willing to do things like that anymore," one GM said. "I'm not saying he's impossible to trade. There are a few owners like Paul Allen, James Dolan, Mark Cuban and maybe Daniel Gilbert who would pay the money. But there aren't many."

Default Re: Josh Smith anybody? ESPN trade rumor

No thanks. Troublemaker, awful shooter. Fun to watch when he's not on your team though!

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He had a little bit of an off year last season but he's young (23) and a major stat-sheet-stuffer. The attitude turns me off, but he'd be the power forward of the future we've been looking for.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He would bring good defense, terrific rebounding and shot blocking, which are things we definitely need. I just have questions about his willingness to adapt to a team setting. I think he is a little too selfish and lazy for what we are looking for. Talent is definitely there and I wouldn't mind if we made a deal to get the guy. I think we could get him fairly cheap, like a TJ Ford and #13 for Josh Smith and #19, which I think I would enjoy seeing happen. Maybe you put him in an environment like we have and he is a different person. I can't imagine the locker room in Atlanta to be very positive. Jack, Rush, Granger, Smith, and Hibbert all of a sudden sounds like a pretty solid unit defensively.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was interested in a Murphy for Smith swap until I read that bit about the trade kicker. That's not just a kicker, that's a killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

Agreed Naptown.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I was interested in a Murphy for Smith swap until I read that bit about the trade kicker. That's not just a kicker, that's a killer.
    The Pacers can maybe send another trade kicker in Tinsley. I would send Ford, Tinsley and 13th pick for him and filler

I hope the Pacers stay away from Smith. He brings some good things but also might bring some really bad things that don't make any possible deal worth it.

With our system, he'll be on the perimeter and have freedom to jack up threes, which is not a pretty thought.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers worked soo hard to rework the team chemistry into how great it is now... why ruin it all w/ one trade?

Plus the trade kicker of paying him an additional 6 million would be an automatic veto from the Simons (on top of the bad chemistry/ character he'd bring...)
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    With our system, he'll be on the perimeter and have freedom to jack up threes, which is not a pretty thought.
    I disagree, he would be dunking on people that dare to double team Danny. I like the player but I have some issues with his atituted. Also think that the Pacers can't have to many boy scouts in the team, they need one or two crazy guys who wants to play hard and get in the other team head.

Whats the trade kicker? Why does he have to be paid $6million? Is that what the Hawks owed him?

Smith is a hard-case. Bird spent too much time and efforts putting together a team that has great chemistry. With Smith in town, our locker room is guaranteed to have issues
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Whats the trade kicker? Why does he have to be paid $6million? Is that what the Hawks owed him?
    a bonus written into his contract as reward for accepting a trade

I'll rather pay him 6 million extra to play than pay Tinsley 6 million to sit, and he has the hellacious athleticism to be a matchup problem for everybody at the 4 when on a team that runs the ball.

The head case issue worries me. I'd do it to get rid of Tinsley, but such an offer would get hysterical laughter and a big "click" on the ATL end of that phone conversation.

well if he gets traded im done buying jerseys i would only have 1 jersey that hasnt been traded "knock on wood" Demarcus ware...

also ive watched him play alot and got the chance to watch him in person.... my conclusion was that he hates playing in that hawks offensive because its nothing but isolations. Hes a willing passer and in every interview he talks about having to play defense. He would solve a lot of our on court problems and would be a blast to watch play. However i have no idea how he is in the locker room. But if jack comes back and with danny and foster still here id take that chance.
    Last edited by ThA HoyA; 06-15-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Mood

He just seems like Ron Artest without the offcourt issues... I just wouldn't want those interruptions with our young developing team...

Mood

I would imagine that a guy like this being on the market, would be someone LB is wanting. He could be a piece that gets us to that next level. The thought of having a starting lineup of Jack/Rush/Granger/Smith/Hibbert with Dun Dun coming off the bench is pretty scary. The locker room trouble could be just an atlanta thing. I'd give him a chance.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

billbradley

i get the whole maturity worries, but he plays in a slower offense that doesn't fit his skill set. his poor shot selection could be the result of the hawks offense that puts him closer to the perimeter and iso other players. i skimmed his free throw attempts and 3 point attempts before bibby and both looked higher after bibby. maybe a pacers team that uses more of his strengths would alleviate frustrations causing to hinder the maturity process (in his game and attitude)

i would try to do something with murph and tins for smith, speedy claxton, and something else. i doubt thats enough though

I wanted him last year when he was a free agent. He has a bit of an attitude, but I haven't heard anything that points to off the court incidents, which is the main thing to avoid. He's young, he can score, and he blocks shots. I'd take him.

Banned

The Pacers could be an scary team if they get a guy like him. He could be the perfect complement to Hibbert and Danny, his defense is really good and can also guard almost any position. If the Pacers keep playing up tempo, nobody is going to be able to run with him and stop him, one thing that I also like about him is that he is only 23 years old, meaning that he can still get better.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    I would imagine that a guy like this being on the market, would be someone LB is wanting.
    Skill wise absolutely agree... but attitude wise completely opposite... after Artest, Jackson, Williams, and Tinsley (all but Williams was a Walsh charity I'll give them a chance, we can mold them into better people case...) I'd imagine Bird isn't going to make that mistake again... Those players not only turned the city against the Pacers but they deeply divided the Pacers locker room and ruined the team chemistry...

Yes Smith had any off court issues like the others.... but has been equally disruptive as the others in the locker room... and I'm sorry, but chemistry is needed to be a successful team...
    Last edited by tadscout; 06-15-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Some people who think we should trade for Smith, who would we trade?

From the looks of things, ATL wants to shed salary and we have no expirers. And please no one mention pick up Quis' option because that would put us in LT.

Smith is a good defender but he still doesnt solve our problem of not having a PF with low post moves. If this was the case, I would rather make a move for Amare over Smith
    Last edited by MillerTime; 06-15-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Some people who think we should trade for Smith, who would we trade?

From the looks of things, ATL wants to shed salary and we have no expirers. And please no one mention pick up Quis' option because that would put us in LT
    Exactly, PLUS you're asking the Simons to throw in an additional 6 million bonus of their own money... on top of all they are already losing...

Maybe the Pacers could send Tinsley over to Josh's house to dust and mop, maybe wash his 8 cars once a week. Tinman makes about 6M+, he could be the highest paid house keeper in the world. He's not do anything anyways.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I disagree, he would be dunking on people that dare to double team Danny. I like the player but I have some issues with his atituted. Also think that the Pacers can't have to many boy scouts in the team, they need one or two crazy guys who wants to play hard and get in the other team head.
    Yes, that's what he should be doing, but if he's out on the perimeter, then that can't happen. We're talking about a system that encourages guys like Marquis Daniels to shoot three-pointers.

I like Josh Smith for his various skills and think that he's fun to watch, but I don't picture him as our long-term PF solution. The way it looks like our team is being built, we need someone that is a capable man defender at that position. Smith, while he's a great shot blocker, is not someone that you turn to to guard the formidable post players of the league (which is what we sorely need to improve our interior defense).

Sports Logo

Interested, sure....why not?

Do we have the pieces to acquire him? Nope....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.