Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Kobe May Opt Out

  1. #1
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,828

    Default Kobe May Opt Out

    Kobe Bryant can opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent July 1st, where he can sign a five-year extension with the Lakers for approximately $135 million.

    Bryant conceivably could depart the Lakers for another team, but that scenario appears highly unlikely.

    The club's long term outlook as a perennial title contender will affect his decision, according to sources.
    LA Times
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,3950569.story
    By Mike Bresnahan
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. #2
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,558

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    I thought Kobe had said already that he would not opt out of his contract.

    And anyway, their outlook as a contender for the near future is good, I could see them defending the title next year. However, they will have to continue to upgrade, they really need a couple of hard nosed players in there. Bynum looked more aggressive last night than he had for most of the series, but I would still shop him a little just to see how much value he really has.

  3. #3
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Kobe should opt out and take less money so that they can resign Odom and Ariza and Brown if he's so concerned about contending. Will he? Nope.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    I'm not sure I'd want to pay Kobe 27 million each year for the next 5 years...As good as he is, he is aging, and you can see it in parts of his game. He added a lot of miles to his legs these last 2-3 seasons.

  5. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Kobe will do whatever is best for Kobe. Just as he always has.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Member Pacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Whiteland, IN
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    I'd grossly over pay Kobe for the last two years of a contract if it meant having a real, legitimate shot at titles for the first three.

  8. #7
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Maybe we can put together a package for him!

    [/learningdisability]
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #8
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd grossly over pay Kobe for the last two years of a contract if it meant having a real, legitimate shot at titles for the first three.
    But they probably won't be able to re-sign key guys because of that gross overpaying!

    Can Kobe really be that obtuse? Hopefully he'll do what I mention above and opt out so that the Lakers can keep their core.

  10. #9
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    I disagree. I hope he opts out, takes the money, and puts them in a corner where they can't fill out the rest of the roster with competent NBA players and then the Lakers can repeat 2004-2006 again.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #10
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. I hope he opts out, takes the money, and puts them in a corner where they can't fill out the rest of the roster with competent NBA players and then the Lakers can repeat 2004-2006 again.
    Do you really want to see the Celtics win again next year?

  12. #11
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    No - the Spurs!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    I have no desire to watch another half-decade of Celtics/Lakers dominance.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  15. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no desire to watch another half-decade of Celtics/Lakers dominance.
    don't worry, cleveland and Shaq are on the way....

  16. #14

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    From what I read, Kobe would opt out to sign a max deal with the Lakers under the terms of the current CBA. If he re-signs after the next CBA is negotiated there may be less money and options for the player.

    Kobe has made it clear he's not leaving. Opting out gives him the most flexibility as far as negotiating a way to keep everyone from this title team in LA as well as maximizing his own leverage over the situation.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  18. #15
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    I think he opts out as well. From there, there are two options:

    1.) More money, worse team.
    2.) Less money, better team.

    This off season will tell me more about Kobe than these playoffs did.

  19. #16
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    If he opts out there will be so many less Laker "fans."

    Would New York give up their LeBron hopes and settle with Kobe with the money they have for this offseason?

  20. #17
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he opts out there will be so many less Laker "fans."

    Would New York give up their LeBron hopes and settle with Kobe with the money they have for this offseason?
    They don't have any money this offseason.

  21. #18
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,839

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Kobe isn't going anywhere. He is finishing his career as a Laker. If he opts out, it will only be to sign a new deal with the Lakers.

  22. #19
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,828

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he opts out as well. From there, there are two options:

    1.) More money, worse team.
    2.) Less money, better team.

    This off season will tell me more about Kobe than these playoffs did.
    I could bet anyone that Kobe will exercise the first option
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  23. #20
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't have any money this offseason.
    Most of their players are FA this summer and have a high payroll so yeah they're better off waiting for 2010 to get someone good.

  24. #21

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could bet anyone that Kobe will exercise the first option
    (1.) More money, worse team.)
    And then whine and complain about the other players on the team.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Opting out gives him the most flexibility as far as negotiating a way to keep everyone from this title team in LA as well as maximizing his own leverage over the situation.
    How does taking more money help keep the current players on the team when the Lakers need to re-sign a few of them ??

  25. #22

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Kobe will probably opt out, only for the sake of getting a new contract under the current CBA agreement. With the current CBA ending ending in 2 years and, if current economic conditions remain the way they are, the owners will have much more bargaining power and the NBAPA will likely have to offer greater concessions.

    With that said, Kobe (who turns 31 this August) will be a free agent and be able to resign with the Lakers for a 6 year deal, which takes him out until he turns 37 and should be at the end of his career.

    So no, unless something drastic were to occur, Kobe will not leave. Besides, I think a guy like Odom will take a pay cut, while a guy like Ariza will see a raise. Plus, don't the Lakers have their Bird rights too?

  26. #23
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,262

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    The Lakers can pay as much at they want. The more luxury tax they pay, the more money the Pacers get.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  27. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,151

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kobe isn't going anywhere. He is finishing his career as a Laker. If he opts out, it will only be to sign a new deal with the Lakers.
    What a gamble. If he opts out with Manu Ginobli reportedly on the market what makes Kobe so certain the Lakers won't use the opportunity to upgrade that spot with Manu?



    Bball- "enjoying this fine Kool-aid mix that Chicago J sent me"
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  28. #25

    Default Re: Kobe May Opt Out

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does taking more money help keep the current players on the team when the Lakers need to re-sign a few of them ??
    I can't know Kobe's full intentions for sure, but my assumption is that opting out is based less on salary and more on the freedom this CBA allows.

    Possibly he would sign a long term deal with a no-trade clause and early player option. Maybe he'll back-load the salary so most of the money comes when the cap has improved in three or four years. These may not be available under the new CBA. The word is that the owners want to shorten the length of guaranteed contracts by a year or two and cut some of the options the players have.

    I'm sure flexibility means more to Kobe now than money.

Similar Threads

  1. Shaq loves Kobe!!!
    By RaptorsFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
  2. Granger vs. Kobe
    By Hulk54 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
  3. Michael versus Kobe: Whose better?
    By GrangerRanger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 11:07 PM
  4. Detroit not good enough for Kobe...trade gets vetoed
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM
  5. OT: Arenas Sounds off on his critics and questions Kobe (SI.com)
    By avoidingtheclowns in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •