Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Tbird 2009 draft analysis #8: Earl Clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tbird 2009 draft analysis #8: Earl Clark

Tonight we kick off the weekend early with the 8th draft analysis of 2009, an in depth study of the enigmatic forward from Louisville, Earl Clark.

Clark is a player I've had my eye on for almost 2 years now, as I was intrigued by him early on in his junior season playing for Rick Pitino. I kept a close eye on Clark all year long, and along with that I've probably done more study of the Cardinals in preparing for this series of articles than with any player I've done the last 2 years, which is saying quite a bit I promise you.

Earl Clark embodies the old line about being an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by question marks. He has unique abilities in this particular draft, and has both amazing abilities and maddening tendencies in how he goes about his business on the basketball floor. For this reason, I feel like that Clark has major upside for a likely mid first round pick, but he also carries more risk than anyone else in this draft I think. Of course, last year in this series I gave the riskiest player lable to Eric Gordon, and that risk seemed to pay off so far the Clippers, so with that in mind I am sure that someone in the mid first round is going to hold their breath and roll the dice on Earl Clark. This thread will try and answer the question of whether that team should be Indiana.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the following facts are true:

1. Indiana needs an inside player who can play at the same time with either Troy Murphy or Roy Hibbert, so we can limit the amount of time those particular players must play simultaneously.

2. Indiana needs a bigger player capable of defending the more perimeter oriented "4 men" that are currently are so in vogue in the league right now.

3. The player we truly need for the first requirement isn't in this draft, but might have been in last year's version, and/or next year's draft.

4. It's at least "possible" that the player for requirement #2 IS in this draft.

5. Jim O'Brien likes "perimeter 4's" better than the more traditional thinking Larry Bird.

6. Larry Bird tends to favor guys with "positional purity", clearly and easily fitting into a certain position size and athletic-wise.

Ok, so now we have to try and figure out just exactly who Clark is right now, and who he might be a few years from now. This answer certainly isn't clear, and there will be lots of discussion about this question I am sure. The main thing I think initially is to try and figure out what exact position Clark is at the next level, then use a strong in depth analysis of how he plays to see if he might be a good fit in blue and gold or not. Clark in some people's eyes is a "tweener", others view him as a solid 4 man, still others view him as a big wing. What is he?

To me, the answer is obvious when you actually watch him play, and try and figure out how to besttake advantage of the strengths he brings to the table. I think Clark in an ideal world and circumstance is a bigger than normal wing, a perimeter player with size. This isn't an indictment of Clark's toughness or tenacity exactly, it's just the way it comes out when you examine his playing style. I think it's clear that the best way to maximize Clark is to play him with 2 players smaller than him, and with 2 players his size or bigger than him.

Clark in is not a starting bigger power player in this league, but in the right circumstances he can end up developing into a backup power forward for limited minutes in your second unit. I just like him much better as a wing player facing the basket, and I think that is where his career will take him long term.

To me, the reason to like Clark mainly has to be about what he can bring your team from a defensive standpoint. Not as much this past season, but in Clark's Junior campaign I was of the opinion that he was one of the best man to man defensive players in the country, and had rare attributes to be able to play outstanding defense at 3 positions. I still feel that way today, with some caveats.

I love Clark's defensive POTENTIAL. He is excellent at cutting off drives with his superior size on the perimeter. His long arms and reach enable him to play back further than others, as he closes out better than almost any player I've seen in this draft. Clark is very good most of the time at playing with "high hands" during a man to man close out situation. Clark also has good balance when having his hands high....he usually stops short of the shooter and influences shots, rather than wildly flying by someone. It sometimes, in this exact skill, looks like he isn't coming at a shooter with enough force and effort, but I think he just smartly stops at a point to where a shot fake/drive isn't going to happen to him easily.

Clark is going to be an outstanding on the ball NBA defender guarding the dribble drive, and contesting the pull up jumper. I also view him as a player who has the ability (when he puts forth the effort) to close out in help situations to recover to spot up shooters very well. I like Clark guarding the opponents better players, and giving whatever team he plays on a bigger defender to use against some of the elite wings in the league when they so choose.

But all is not rosy when you discuss Clark and his defense unfortunately.

Clark will show an alarming lack of concentration at times when playing away from the ball. Clark can be beaten back door, as he loses sight of his "ball/you/man" position way more than any quality player should. He has a tendency on film to try and rely on his great ability to slide and move his feet in a reaction sequence, rather than try to concentrate and be where is supposed to be in the first place. He has the athleticism at the NCAA level to recover from his own self inflicted mistakes sometimes, but he could possibly be exposed at the NBA level if he doesnt improve his fundamental ability to focus and concentrate. Clark has huge upside defensively I think overall, especially guarding the ball.....but his helpside defense has to be more smarter and more consistent.

It was tempting (back at the start of the year when I was in love with him) to view Clark as McKey 2.0. But when reviewing the tape, I see almost the opposite type of player in terms of ability to anticipate and use intelligence as a defensive weapon. McKey was one of the smartest defensive players I've ever seen, and Clark some of the times can recreate similar results as McKey did. The difference is that McKey was a great defender not only due to his length and desire but also to his "alertness" and abilty to process information about a player's weaknesses and have a game plan. Clark possesses such great balance, length, and natural defensive gifts that he relies on them too much....he has yet to develop the intellectual abilities that made McKey great.

Basically what I am saying is Clark has great POTENTIAL as a defender (to a McKey level or beyond perhaps) but he is unlikely to ever reach it unless he improves his mental approach and work ethic by a bunch. I'm ok with Clark's laid back tendencies, but I'm decidely not ok with his lack of discipline, focus, and his bouts of laziness on the floor.

Likewise, Clark has many of the same traits as a rebounder. I think he will be a great rebounder at the "3" in the league, but only average as a "4", yet another reason I view him like I do.

ON THE ONE HAND: Clark gets the most aggressive rebounds I saw in college if you don't count Blake Griffin. Sometimes, Clark just is a rebounding stud, leaping high and aggressively pulling the ball down with 2 hands, just like you would teach it.

ON THE OTHER HAND: Sadly, he doesn't do this consistently at all....just doing it in in spurts. He is just as likely to get out muscled or out worked for a ball as he is to grab it like the beast that he potentially is. Once again, "potential" to dominate the glass gets coaches fired instead of getting them rings.

Clark shows some of the same mixed bag approach as a post defender and defender of the screen/roll as well. One of my old coaching buddies calls guys like Clark an "ambidextrous a--hole player", meaning that Clark is a guy who makes his coaches look bad with his mistakes of effort and lack of concentration. The "ambidextrous" part of that quote is because he is a type of guy you say things like "on the one hand, Clark has long arms and is a great weakside shotblocker".....then after a pause you say something like "but on the other hand, he usually is out position by a step or not paying attention, so it doesn't matter if he can block shots or not".

His defensive game is aggravating that way in terms of defending the screen/roll and in guarding the low post.

ONE ONE HAND: Clark has the size and strength to be tough to score on inside.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND: Clark is easy to catch against and doesnt always fight for position.

ON ONE HAND: Clark is great at trapping the screen/roll or hedging hard and turning back the ballhandler without fouling....the best in this draft perhaps!

ON THE OTHER HAND: Sometimes he loses track of what he is supposed to do, or lazily lays back too far and doesn't step out hard at all, or loafs back to his own man.

ON ONE HAND: His great potential is exciting as a coach and a reason you'd beg to be able to coach him!

ON THE OTHER HAND: Your inability to get great effort from him consistently will also contribute to get you fired from coaching him.

Clearly, I believe in Clark in terms of being a defensive standout potentially in this league. I think he can be a very very good individual defender at 3 different positions. He is flexible as far as being a defensive player goes.

It is as an offensive player that I think makes Clark a much better prospect as a "power wing" than as a "perimeter 4".

It will be tempting for whoever takes Clark to play him big minutes as a 4 man in a small lineup, and to try and get him into mismatches where he can drive the ball against slower people. This will work just well enough I think that it will break your heart coaching him.

Clark takes a long time to make his move, and he seems like he needs alot of space to make them. This is space he will get in the second quarter of a back to back road game in January, but won't get in an intense playoff game in the springtime.

Clark settles way too much for my taste, but in this case I think it is a lack of ballhandling ability, not necessarily a trait of laziness. Clark plays too high with the dribble, not concentrating on getting lower than his defender in order to get by him. What happens to Clark when he drives is that he isn't good fundamentally being explosive with his very first step (he is way too high, with legs stiff) so people guarding him can easily cut him off.

When this happens, this gets us the "ambidextrous a-hole" stuff again. Clark can't get all the way to the basket, but he is the best player in this draft I've seen at making a "guarded shot". He is so freaking good that even if the player guarding him cuts him off and bodies up to him, that he still can rise up and shoot right over the top of him and drill it right into the defenders grill.

ON THE ONE HAND: Clark can make tough shots.
    ON THE OTHER HAND: The reason the shots are tough in the first place is Clark's weaknesses driving and beating his man.

Clark doesn't have the classic wing "scorers mentality". He isn't a guy who hunts shots, or pouts when he doesn't score. In fact, he seems to me to be a guy who can really potentially (there is the scariest word in coaching again rearing its ugly head) help your team without scoring much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is mainly in 2 areas offensively that I like Clark playing as a wing instead of a post player in the paint.

Clark can post up and score, but doesnt like the constant contact that comes with playing that way the entire game. In fact, Clark doesnt like being physical at all, even though he has the physical tools to be an enforcer....the mentality to be just isn't there I don't think. Clark will be able to muscle up though against smaller wings and use his limited but effected post moves to score in mismatch opportunites in the low post.

This is a key point, so listen up: A coach will be better off using Clark to post up smaller guys than facing him up and isolating him against bigger guys!

A coach will end up having to beg Clark to get inside to start with of course, so the smart thing to do I think will be to run special "set plays" for him to post up when he has an advantage. Clark won't be exceptional, but he will be functionally effective....your teams 4th option in ideal circumstance.

I also love Clark as a big wing post feeder. He holds the ball high over his head, and his reluctance or inability to drive or hunt his own shot helps you here alot. Many wings suck at feeding the post, because they lack patience to wait on the post player to get clear and show a target.....they all want to shake and bake and go to the basket themselves!

But Clark won't do that...he will wait, hold the ball, and legitimately try to throw the ball into the low post. That is a really neat thing to have on a team, and I appreciate the rareness these days of the skill. Clark may help a team more than anything else offensively by being able to be a great feeder of the post.

I also think Clark was taught well to screen at Louisville. He wasn't a great cutter, but I thought his screening fundamentals were pretty good, particularly in timing and getting good angles to screen. Again, Clark doesnt have the scorers mentality to aggressivley turn and look for the ball after setting a screen....instead he'll just casually turn and watch the play, which is aggravating but not fatal.

What are the pitfalls of playing Clark as a wing instead of as your second biggest player?

One potential snag in what would be my plan to play Clark as a wing most of the time would be his poorer cutting ability, which may hinder his ability to get open against tight defense. But in general I think he will be fine, as rarely if ever will Clark be feared enough to be guarded closely by an opponents best defender....and of course that would never happen here I don't think.

Another potential snag with Clark playing a wing would be his inabilty to give you any high volume of foul shots, as Clark doesnt get to the line as a driver very often. Clarks game doesn't compliment Granger (and especially Rush) in this way, as neither of those guys are great ballhandlers against pressure. We can offset that weakness if we have a superior ballhandling point guard however, which is why a selection of Clark on draft night, believe it or not, would be an indication to me that TJ Ford is staying and not being dealt....Clark as a wing needs a big time ballhandling guard who also can score well himself, because most nights Clark isn't going to score alot of points I don't think.....although he will explode into the 20-25 range just enough to make fans think its the coaches fault he doesnt do it all the time.

We need to discuss the "Pitino fatigue" factor when discussing Clark I think.

For those of you who don't realize this, "Slick Rick" is not the exciting players coach he puports to be to recruits. I'm not being critical, but he can be a snide, hard driving, difficult to play for anal stickler, and often times he tires of players, and players tire of him. It works out well at the college level for Pitino, as the roster turns over just enough to keep things fresh for him and his roster to be able to stand each other.

I'm afraid the above descriptions made me sound like I think Clark is mentally weak. That is far from true....no player can be mentally weak and play for Louisville's hard driving coaching staff! Clark has no doubt been worked hard, pushed to his physical limits in practice in terms of conditioning, and been taught the game in a tough intense way.

I think Clark likely adopted a personality so laid back and unthreatening that he almost tried not to draw attention to himself, in order to keep from getting the ire of a Coach that while Clark probably respects, that I don't think he liked playing for. At least in 5 different games of Louisville I watched live this past season, in my notes preparing for this review I wrote at the time something like "Clarks hates playing for Pitino" or "Clark will be better when he gets out of here". It just looked to me like some of the joy came out of the game for Clark in his college career, and that he may well be a break out player in the NBA game if handled properly and in a positive way by a coach who is excited by his game, instead of frustrated by it.

Getting away from pop psychology, Pitino is also hard to play for for another, more fundamental coahcing reason: His inability as he gets older to "keep the game simple".

I'm not trying to criticize the ultra successful, engaging Pitino....but I am saying that his teams are not the free wheeling running teams of his days with the Knicks and Providence College. Louisville actually played a pretty slow pace, and ran a high percentage of complicated, complex set plays that I thought Clark struggled with quite frankly.

This is an issue for some coaches as they get older. They install plays with more options, more memorization, more things to remember. You combine a ultra complicated playbook, a demanding and superintense coach, and Clark's own lack of understanding/laidback personality, and you can see why it would be an issue to enjoy playing the game.

"Clark is overcoached/overcontrolled" is another note I read that I took during a game this past year, and I stand by that comment that I wrote back in the winter.

You can see the problem when evaluating Clark: There is an equal chance of it being true that he was over controlled in college, leading to an explosion of production as a pro, with the chance that his lack of concentration and other weaknesses will mean he busts. Either is possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Clark could help our team the following ways POTENTIALLY:

1. Defending 3 positions very well, maybe better than anyone we have.
    2. Clark can play limited back up minutes at the PF spot (10 minutes or so backing up Murphy) and can back up either Rush or Granger as well. I can easily see ways Clark can play 30 minutes a game for us.
    3. Clark becomes one of our best post feeders, one of our better screeners, and our most athletic front court player.
    4. Clark is the one wing in the draft you can play at the same time with your other "future core": Hibbert/Clark/Granger/Rush/Point guard is a lineup you can legitimately play in limited stretches.
    5. You can also play Clark with Hibbert/Murphy/other wing/Point guard and be pretty good defensively on the perimeter, or at least better than we were.
    6. Clark can take the ball out of bounds in late game situations, and he can guard the ball out of bounds in late game defensive situations. The inbounding the ball for us part is important, as we don't have any returning player good at that in my opinion.
    7. Clark has at least a small potential for a MUCH bigger upside than I am predicting....at least the ability and athletic talent is there.

Sadly, I also must print this part:

ON THE OTHER HAND:

1. While Clark's on the ball perimeter defense I rate very very high, his lack of away from the ball awareness and concentration might kill a team defensive scheme.
    2. His unwillingness or inabilty to have any reliable way to score can be a problem.
    3. Jim O'Brien I feel almost surely disagrees with me about him being a wing.....JOB I bet will exclusively play him as a 4 man, rarely playing the big lineup I think Clark would be suited for.......I see Clark being able to play 30 minutes a night potentially....I bet O'Brien sees that as closer to 12 to 15.
    4. Clark is a player who will probably need the occasional play called for him to stay involved offensively, and we don't do that often.
    5. Clarks tendency to disappear and perhaps pout a bit can bring the entire spirit of a team down a peg, and it is questionable whether we have the culture in place yet to be able to handle that. ...I think we do, but it isn't a sure bet.
    6. It is an open question whether I am right and that Clark will blossom away from Pitino, and it is just as possible that Clark doesn't love the game that well, and won't put the effort in once he gets the big NBA paychecks.

I have a knawing feeling in my gut hearing this old coaching axiom:

"How good would you be if we didn't have to constantly coach EFFORT?"

I'm struggling trying to figure out who actually will roll the dice and take Clark. Obviously his potential is way too good to pass up at some point, and there are many teams in this weak draft who have a need for what he specifically COULD bring to the table, and we are one of them!

I see potential landing spots for Clark all the way from Milwaukee at #10 ( I don't know about Skiles being a good fit with Clark personally) to potentially New Jersey at #11 (a good fit for Clark I think), all the way to Detroit at #15 ( I dont think he slides past the Pistons).

Again, what the Pacers decide to do with the rest of their roster impacts this selection. If Ford and Jack can coexist and the team decides to keep them both, Clark is a likely selection I think for Indiana at #13, for better or worse.

I'm torn on whether I personally think that is a good move or not, but I certainly wouldnt be able to criticize the decision, and it would have potential if it worked out to be a key move in adding a very valuable, important piece to our roster. It also could backfire, and it would be risky, but at #13 anyone is a risk.

If he passes our background checks, interview, and if Bird and O'Brien get on the same page about how to use him AND decide to keep Jack/Ford both, I think the Pacers may very well "ride the rapids" and gamble on Earl Clark with their selection.

.................................................. .................................................

NBA comparisons:

He is a very strong comparable to Al Thornton I think, but I think he will rebound much better but score a bit less than him. Still, I think this level is his upside, which is substantial.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND:

He is also a strong comparable to Tim Thomas, which is a sad and terrifying thought to me, and probably the Pacers front office as well.

NBA past player was easy to me for this one:

Charles Smith, ex New York Knick, (among other teams I think) is an almost perfect one both in terms of game and his personality and style. Whether that is good or bad in this draft is up for others to decide.

As always, the above is just my opinion.

Tbird
    Last edited by thunderbird1245; 06-11-2009, 10:26 PM.

Re: Tbird 2009 draft analysis #8: Earl Clark

Less than a year ago I was really excited about the thought of the Pacers drafting Clark.

I quickly lowered my level of excitment about Clark when I read that he might not work hard, love the game, etc. However you propose an interesting theory and if you are right about Clark I would love to have him.

If he can be a Boris Diaw type player I think Clark would be worth taking with the pick. I don't know that Clark fits what Larry Bird seems to be after. I am guessing Bird will go with what he was after in last year's draft, experience, mature, and have a clear position.

Comment

Nice in depth analysis.

Comment

If he could provide a consistent contribution-particularly defending and on the boards-as a second-unit guy-I think that would be a pretty solid pick-up at 13 in this particular draft. Anybody we're taking at 13 is most likely solid role player best case scenario. If that expectation is exceeded, great.
        I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

With reference to your comment about Pitino failing to keep the game simple, perhaps that is key to Clark and his potential future here. O'Brien has a similar flaw, in my view, and some of our players exhibited a similar behavior to what you described of appearing lost on the floor and therefore not maximizing their effort for the Pacers, especially defensively, over the past two seasons.

Adding Clark, who may be very good for the right coach, to a team that already struggles to follow O'Brien's concepts may hinder his development and lead O'Brien to bench him despite his potential to actually help the team in reality (like Rush, and to a lesser degree McRoberts and Hibbert), either may be a mistake or the end of O'Brien's tenure here.

He sounds like Larry Brown's guy to me.

Comment

Like most of us, Tbird, I always enjoy your analysis posts, but you raised the bar on this one. Thoroughly weighing his attractive pros and maddening cons ... offering a read on his psychological make-up and influences ... openly wrestling with his overall evaluation and projected fit here ... just award-winning. I can feel the ulcer festering in Larry's gut ... .

Another thread quotes JOB on his admission that Larry thinks three of six desirable players will be available at #13. If we consider the extreme pros & cons of both Earl Clark and DeJuan Blair, for example, and also note how different their pros & cons are from each other, I see supportive evidence to your point that our final decision on Clark (and/or others) will depend on other (trade-related) team decisions. In fact, I find myself even more in favor now of mounting a draft-day strategy where we have an agreement in place to include a veteran swap (for an additional pick?) in conjunction with the player(s) we select. Man, this is gonna be fun!

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Comment

T-Bird, do you get the Lamar Odom comparison? Is it accurate to compare him to LO?
              Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Comment

Just found this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQlC83wM8_Y

NBA Pre-draft Combine Results

Height w/o shoes: 6' 8.5"
                Height w/ shoes: 6' 10.25"
                Weight: 228
                Wingspan: 7' 2.5"
                Standing Reach: 9' 1.5"
                Body Fat: 5.2 percent
                No Step Vert. 28.5
                Max Vert. 33.0
                Bench Press: 5
                Lane Agility: 11.17
                3/4 Court Sprint: 3.35 sec.

If we acquired another draft pick in the 1st round, I could see us drafting both Twill and Clark. Has a duo in college ever been drafted by the same NBA team?
                Last edited by pianoman; 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM.
                Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Comment

Lamar Odom has much better handles and I believe he is a much better passer as well. But I think their mindset is somewhat similar.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoman View Post
                    If we acquired another draft pick in the 1st round, I could see us drafting both Twill and Clark. Has a duo in college ever been drafted by the same NBA team?
                    Felton at #5 to CHA and May at #13 to CHA in 2005. Think they want that 13th pick back?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoman View Post
                      T-Bird, do you get the Lamar Odom comparison? Is it accurate to compare him to LO?
                      Odom to me seems like a much better offensive player than I think Clark ever will be. Odom is a much better ballhandler, passer, and probably a better shooter as well.

I do think that Clark will end up being a much better defensive player than Odom is, at least as an individual player.

Clark, or a player like him, would be a very handy type of defender to have. Clark can give you a bigger player to use in a rotation of defenders against the elite wings in the league for stretches. His length could really help guard guys like Pierce and Wade for limited stretches. He also would be an ideal matchup to potential defend the perimeter 4 guys like our own Troy Murphy, Rashard Lewis/Hedo Terkoglu of the Magic, Lamar Odom, etc etc. It is defensively where Clark's value lies with me, not his offensive game.

Having said that, I think his questionable work ethic and tendency to coast during games at times make him too risky of a selection for the Pacers by Larry Bird's thinking......and I really can't argue with that logic.

Comment

The league is getting quicker. We are no longer seeing the day of 7'0 footers that can"t run up and down the court. It is coming back to the day of the showtime Lakers with everybody on the roster 6'5- 6'10. This is why I am leaning towards Thabeet being a bust. He can't run. It is fine and dandy to have a big man that can post up but the pace is getting quicker look at the NBA Finals.

Comment

I wish the Pacers would risk it on this guy. We badly need help at the wing, defensively. If available on draft day, please choose defense Larry. When this guy is drafted, he will be drafted for his wing defense. This will be his main focus and his job as a rookie, to play defense. I think we will be making a mistake if we pass him up.

Comment

Since UncleReg and Seth have some insight into Clark, I'm interested in what they have to say on TBird's Analysis.

I seem to read many passages that pretty much says that Clark is a player with alot of upside that is capable of doing "X" but only if he focuses and makes an effort do "X". Does this sound more like a lack of focus ( at times ) for him?

Would he would do very well playing for a Coach that would constantly "hold his feet to the fire" while constantly re-enforcing the "little" things that he has to do to get to that next level ( becoming an effective PF with solid outside/in the paint skills )?

My initial thought is that if we want him to be more of a PF then a SF.....then he would need regular "babysitting" in order for him to do the "right" things on the floor as a PF.

Is JO'B that type of Coach that can do that on a regular basis?

Has he demonstrated a willingness to learn from the Coach ( in other words, is he "Coachable" )?

It seems like he is very capable of being ( at the very least ) a solid perimeter orientated scoring Forward ( that is more of a SF then a PF ) and has skillset to make the transition to being more of a "in the paint" scoring PF ( of course, only if he applies himself and focuses ). But for now, I will go back to my initial impressions of him in that he is more of a SF then a PF and that his ability to become the Player that we need all hinders on his willingness to focus and learn from the Coaching staff.
                            Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Working...
                            X