Thread: Old SI story about Slick Leonard

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Old SI story about Slick Leonard

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Old SI story about Slick Leonard

very nice article and a good account of the severe financial hardship brought on by the merger (high entry fee, no TV money for 3 years, no draft in year 1) and the telethon that quite literally saved the franchise from folding.

For those of us who were fans throughout all this - it was pretty tense. It's sad how we are still paying to play in the NBA.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those of us who were fans throughout all this - it was pretty tense. It's sad how we are still paying to play in the NBA.
    I can honestly say that with this economy I have been worried about the team. The money that the Pacers pay to the old St Louis(aba) owners would go a long way to solving problems here. If the Pacers have been losing massive amounts as the Simons say then how much longer before they sell.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

That was a great read. It's amazing how much the game has changed, inside and out. I couldn't imagine Slick coaching today.

Another great book about the NBA from this time frame is Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    I can honestly say that with this economy I have been worried about the team. The money that the Pacers pay to the old St Louis(aba) owners would go a long way to solving problems here. If the Pacers have been losing massive amounts as the Simons say then how much longer before they sell.
    Keep in mind those payments are in perpetuity. The new owners would have to pay them too, regardless of whether the team is here or elsewhere.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Keep in mind those payments are in perpetuity. The new owners would have to pay them too, regardless of whether the team is here or elsewhere.
    It's amazing after all these years a loophole couldn't be found in a contract that is so one-sided.

What happens if the Pacers 'fold' and then a 'new' Pacer franchise and ownership group would arise from the ashes willing to play in Indy? I suppose the entry fees would negate the benefit of those type of shenagins being worth the effort.

If it was me I think I'd assign a lawfirm with the task of getting me out of this agreement and then push it (trying to get other former ABA teams to share the cost and join in). Meanwhile I'd try and lobby the league behind closed doors to be a participant in buying out the ABA owners for the health of ALL NBA franchises. Then, with the lawsuit looming in one corner, and a potential settlement in another, take the gloves off and try and end this thing once and for all.

...or maybe I'm naive and this has been tried...
    I just think in this day and age, with the contract proving to be so costly to one side and so beneficial to the other, the scales could be tipped a little differently in a modern courtroom.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Loved Slick. Coaching days never end well, and the late 70's were a low point. Believe it or not, it was considered uncool for a player to cheer his own team from the bench.

The NBA really had it in for the ABA and made a point of hammering the 4 teams that came over. Red Auerbach was particularly disdainful.

Truth is, the ABA spirit and rules had a lot to do with bringing the NBA back. Without that Dr. J style, the daring pass and fast break and dunk, Magic and Bird wouldn't have been Magic and Bird.

As a lad, I sweated bullets during that telethon. Ha.