Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draftexpress Podcast: Blair falling to Pacers because of bad knees?

Default Draftexpress Podcast: Blair falling to Pacers because of bad knees?

http://www.sigdomain.com/draftexpress_18.mp3

Podcast with DraftExpress' writer who just came back from Treviso's Reebok Eurocamp. Apparently Blir has some knee issues, which may or may not be a good thing.

Blair segment starts around 7:30 mark. Pacers are apparently very interested in him and Bird loves him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Draftexpress Podcast: Blair falling to Pacers because of bad knees?

I was hesitant even before I heard about this. There's no way I draft a 280lb power forward with knee issues.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers are apparently very interested in him and Bird loves him.
    Source?

If he has knee issues there is no doubt it's a bad thing.

Stay away from him early in the draft. There is a lot to love about Blair but I would be hesitant to draft him with bad knees. It's not like when the Pacers drafted Danny. Everyone knew Danny was a top talent and the Pacers had the 17th pick. I don't consider Blair a top talent in this draft and I don't know that he is worth the risk (with bad knees) at 13 even in this weak draft.

I knew he had knee issues in his past. If they're is still a red flag,
    then that's too bad. Ya gotta love the way the kid carries himself
    and plays the game.

Hard to see how he won't have problems with a 6 months or so,
    82 game, NBA season unless he can get down to 260 or so, play
    there effectively and stay there.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jonathan Givony mentioned that both Granger and Brandon Roy had major knee injuries (multiple, in Roy's case) prior to the NBA and that, for the most part, they've been fine. He also mentioned that Bird had knee injuries throughout his career and that it's likely he'd be less scared off by Blair's knees.
    Last edited by Lance George; 06-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Pacers are apparently very interested in him and Bird loves him.
    Where are you hearing this from?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Jonathan Givony mentioned that both Granger and Brandon Roy had major knee injuries (multiple, in Roy's case) prior to the NBA and that, for the most part, they've been fine. He also mentioned that Bird had knee injuries throughout his career and that it's likely he'd be less scared off by Blair's knees.
    Normally, guys with past knee injuries don't concern me TOO much just because of how effective reconstructive surgeries are these days. Blair is sitting around 280lbs in a 6'6" frame though. That's a lot of weight to be carrying for +/- 100 games in a 6 month span. Roy and Granger may have had knee issues at one point, but they also don't have to carry all that weight every day.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I thought Blair's knee problems had to do with arthritus. Is that not the case?
    If it is from an arthritic condition, that isn't going to heal like Granger's or Roy's injuries.
    Last edited by Tom White; 06-11-2009 at 03:39 PM.

That's what I hate about pre-draft. Every issue is super-duper magnified. A lot of times disproportionately so.

There have been a lot of players who came into the league with weight issues, which they controlled through proper coaching and adhering to good NBA lifestyles. Personally, I think people are going overboard with this weight and knee stuff.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I wouldnt be surprised if Bird took the gamble with respect to Blair's knees. Bird took the gamble with Rush and Granger, and it has worked out (thus far).

Blair seems to be really undersized (6'7"). He plays a lot bigger than he actually is. From looking at him, it seems that he needs to get in shape. He definately would be a good pick at #13. This is exactly what happened to Granger; many teams passed up on him because of his knees and he fell into the hands of the Pacers
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Landry is another example of a guy that dropped due to knee issues.

Banned

Does anybody here remember Jonathan Bender? how about Jermaine O'neal? , remember that Danny Granger missed some games because of a mest up knee? , The Pacers already have a player in rehab because of a knee problem(Dunleavy), not thanks I don't want an overweight player with mest up knees, pass, no way, let somebody else deal with him, we need players to play not players to sit for half of the season.

It all depends on what the doctors say about it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Teams have definitely past up guys with mest up knees. Those knees get strest a lot in an NBA season. But I think he bench prest a pretty good combine number and imprest the scouts with his strength.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'd be okay with gambling on Blair with a 2nd 1st round pick ( if we somehow acquire one and he's available ), but I don't want to gamble with the 13th pick.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

It would all depend on who is available at 13. Blair could be worth the risk if all the decent bigs are gone and there are just a handful of slightly above average points left.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if Bird took the gamble with respect to Blair's knees. Bird took the gamble with Rush and Granger, and it has worked out (thus far).

Blair seems to be really undersized (6'7"). He plays a lot bigger than he actually is. From looking at him, it seems that he needs to get in shape. He definately would be a good pick at #13. This is exactly what happened to Granger; many teams passed up on him because of his knees and he fell into the hands of the Pacers
    Actually, the recent reports are that Blair has demonstrated a body metamorphosis, losing reportedly 40lbs and showing a lot of new lean muscle.

Blair is undersized height wise, but makes up with tremendous wingspan, which certainly offsets things.

In my opinion, a Milsap-type player is pretty much exactly what the team needs at this point. A banger to complement Hibbert. That's what Blair could be in the right system. My guess is that he'd start forcing the Pacers to consider more half court sets.

The team also needs some self esteem and further confidence, which I think Blair's personality lends itself well to.

I'd be excited if we landed him somehow. The order in which we draft him is probably less important than it might be in a typical year just due to the overall poor quality of options. He fills a very particular role and would be IMO, rather complementary to our current team composition.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Bird likes tough guys. He questioned JO's toughness on multiple occasions through the press. Blair is a tough guy. That's why I don't find it hard to believe that Bird really likes Blair. This team really has no personality or toughness in the frontcourt. Is it worth drafting a guy purely based off of toughness at #13? No, but remember that Blair is only 20 years old, he's still going to get better and already has a nice inside game to work off of. I think some people forget that.

I think the knee issue is overblown. He never had an issue with it in college. If you nitpick over something so minute, you might end up passing on a Danny Granger.

I like him. And he seems like a decent fit for this team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Given the quality and depth of this draft, anybody at 13 is going to be a crapshoot at best. Maybe this is some of the teams drafting midround hoping to leverage Blair down. Most agree, talent wise, he would be gone before then. Scare some teams off and get him to fall to a position where you can draft him, when otherwise you wouldnt have been able.

That being said, I find it hard to believe we end up drafting a guy that Bird comes out and publicly declares he loves prior to the draft.

Thats assuming this statement of Bird loving him is actually factual and not message board rumor mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Teams have definitely past up guys with mest up knees. Those knees get strest a lot in an NBA season. But I think he bench prest a pretty good combine number and imprest the scouts with his strength.
    You're breaking my ballz with all these misspellt words man.

I hope to god we get Blair.. perfect f'n fit IMHO

Blair has cut weight.

Blair is tough.

He Rebounds, He Hustles, He has Personality.

If James Johnson is gone. Blair does make sense.

Could this be a smoke screen to have another player fall to Us?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jonathan Givony said in this interview that there's a lot of confusing info about his knees. Some are saying that he may need another surgery soon, one person said that his is the worse case of arthritis in a player under 30 that he's seen, and there are other team doctors that say these other teams are blowing this out of proportions.

He did say that the Pacers love him and think he is the exact type of player that they need.

Great interview overall. Good questions and even better answers from Givony.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Jonathan Givony said in this interview that there's a lot of confusing info about his knees. Some are saying that he may need another surgery soon, one person said that his is the worse case of arthritis in a player under 30 that he's seen, and there are other team doctors that say these other teams are blowing this out of proportions.

Great interview overall. Good questions and even better answers from Givony.

Hopefully Bird is just throwing up a smokescreen, Blair is the one guy around our pick that I'd be really upset if we drafted. Give me Hansbrough over Blair.