Thread: Yolando Griffith out for the rest of the season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Yolando Griffith out for the rest of the season

TORN ACHILLES TENDON ENDS GRIFFITHS SEASON

Two-time Olympic gold medalist and seven-time WNBA All-Star Yolanda Griffith tore her left Achilles’ tendon with 1:47 remaining in the first quarter of Tuesday night’s game between the Indiana Fever and Seattle Storm. Surgery is anticipated within the next week. She is out for the season.
    Griffith announced before training camp that 2009 would be her final pro season. She currently is No. 2 in WNBA history in rebounds (2,444) and also ranks among the league’s all-time leaders in points (6th), steals (4th), blocks (8th) and free throws (3rd). In the midst of her 13th pro season and her 11th in the WNBA, she boasts a career that has spanned 311 games and a 2005 title with the Sacramento Monarchs. Griffith boasts career averages of 10.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Regarded as one of the most prominent power forwards in women’s basketball history, she was a member of the WNBA’s All-Decade Team which was selected in 2006.

“Obviously I am very sad for Yolanda,” said Fever General Manager and Chief Operating Officer Kelly Krauskopf. “She was off to a good start and we expected her to make this a great final season. She has already had such a positive impact on our team. This league will miss her.”

Fever coach Lin Dunn added, “We’re so disappointed to lose Yolanda for the season. In a very short period of time, she’s already had huge impact on our team, and we can still benefit from her leadership abilities and championship experiences.”
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/griffith_090610.html

Last edited by Trophy; 06-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Default Re: Yolando Griffith out for the rest of the season

Sorry for the typo in the title.

Yolanda.

Hate to break it to you, but she was retiring after this season anyway.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/Yolan...on_090515.html

Well, now the Fever for sure won't come close win the title this season. What sucks even more is that this may give Lin Dunn another excuse to keep her job.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hate to break it to you, but she was retiring after this season anyway.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/Yolan...on_090515.html

Well, now the Fever for sure won't come close win the title this season. What sucks even more is that this may give Lin Dunn another excuse to keep her job.
    Yeah I knew that this was her last season but it really is sad to see it end like this with an injury.

Now I just hope she doesn't need any kind of surgery and with some rest she'll recover.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1 MORE YEAR! 1 MORE YEAR!

Mood

This really sucks for the fever. How many achilles tendons do we need to tear when we have a talented roster. I hate to see her career wind down like that and I hope she recovers well. Maybe we can bring her back in an assistant coaching role if she is truly done.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for Yolanda Griffin I don't know what's wrong with her, but I'd bet my paycheck it's more than a sprained ankle. I'm guessing she ruptured her Achilles or something like that.
    Sometimes it sucks to be right.

Bummer for YoG. I was really looking forward to seeing how well she'd do for the Fever. Guess now we may never know.

Yolanda Griffith, Indiana Fever Head Coach.

FORMER OHIO STATE STAR JESSICA DAVENPORT REPLACES GRIFFITH ON FEVER ROSTER

The Indiana Fever has announced the free agent signing of third-year center Jessica Davenport. Davenport, a two-time Big Ten Conference Player of the Year from Ohio State and the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 WNBA Draft, replaces WNBA legend Yolanda Griffith on the Indiana roster.
    Griffith, who sustained a season-ending Achilles’ tendon tear against the Seattle Storm on June 9, underwent surgery in Indianapolis on June 16.

Waived by the Liberty in training camp this spring, Davenport becomes the first Ohio State graduate ever to don a Fever uniform, and she joins former Purdue star Katie Douglas as a second former Big Ten player of the year on the Fever roster. Davenport is no stranger to Conseco Fieldhouse, having led the Buckeyes to the championship game of the Big Ten Tournament in 2006 and 2007, and semifinal appearances in 2004 and 2005.

A member of the USA Basketball Senior Women’s National Team and a two-time finalist for national college player of the year honors, Davenport was the Big Ten’s freshman of the year in 2004. She was the league’s player of the year as a sophomore and senior, prior to becoming the second overall selection in the 2007 WNBA Draft by San Antonio. She was part of a draft-day deal that sent longtime Liberty star Becky Hammon to San Antonio.

The 6-5 Davenport becomes the tallest player on the Fever roster. “We are excited to sign a player of Jess’ caliber,” said Fever Head Coach Lin Dunn. “She has great size and really improves our depth at the center position.”

In two seasons with the Liberty, Davenport started 16 of the 47 games she played. She owns WNBA career averages of 5.1 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. She shot 45 percent from the floor and averaged nearly one blocked shot per game in two years with the Liberty. She owns a career high of 15 points, twice, and a career high of 10 rebounds, at Chicago in 2008.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/daveport_090617.html

I just read about Davenport's signing. That's great news! I also didn't know that the Tameka Dixon the Fever signed as a FA was the same Tameka Dixon from the LA Sparks. I like her. She's feisty!! I think she, YoG (despite her season ending injury) and Davenport are exactly the type of players with "attitude" this team needed...players who aren't afraid to get bumped and will certainly bump back, but also players who play with tons of passion and never take a possession off.

The reduced roster ruling may have played right into the Fever's hands. We shall see...