Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Hill available at 13?

Default Jordan Hill available at 13?

Per Draft Express notes: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Day-Two-3251/

-Jordan Hill potentially slipping into the bottom of the top-10 or even possibly slightly beyond. The talk is that the Washington Wizards’ 5th pick could very well end up being claimed by Stephen Curry (whether for them or another team trading up), and that since Minnesota, Golden State, New York and maybe even Toronto appear to be looking at other positional needs, Hill could be on the short end of the stick come draft night.

Other notable pieces of interest:

-Ron Artest as a willing and interested free agent target for both Greek powerhouses this summer, Olympiacos and Panathinaikos, granted he does not find a superior NBA offer on the free agent market.

-The medicals of various NBA draft prospects, including Missouri’s DeMarre Carroll, who may need a liver transplant in the near or long-term future, DeJuan Blair, whose knees and arthritic condition are a major concern to certain teams, and A.J. Price, who reportedly still has an aneurysm in an artery of his brain that could become a serious issue later in his career.

-- Australian Patrick Mills was absolutely the star of the evening’s all-star game, posting an impressive 30 point performance on 8/18 shooting from the field and 12/13 from the line. Mills handled the ball on a string all game long, showing terrific quickness keeping his man off balance, and making an absolute living in the mid-range area with his deadly pull-up jumper. His ability to utilize strong hesitation moves makes him extremely difficult to stay in front of, and he did a good job not settling for tough shots from beyond the arc today, getting to the line repeatedly. He clearly thrives in up-tempo settings such as the one seen in today’s all-star game, which came in stark contrast to his morning performance, where he seemed to over-dribble somewhat while trying to create in the half-court.

NBA teams we spoke to still expressed some doubt regarding his point guard skills, which is something he could still stand to work on. He posted 3 assists compared with 4 turnovers in the evening game, seeming to be hunting shots quite a bit, and didn’t look all that comfortable getting others involved. Scouts generally were impressed by the quickness and shot-creating ability he showed, and he also did a better job defensively today as well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jordan Hill available at 13?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    -Jordan Hill potentially slipping into the bottom of the top-10 or even possibly slightly beyond. The talk is that the Washington Wizards’ 5th pick could very well end up being claimed by Stephen Curry (whether for them or another team trading up), and that since Minnesota, Golden State, New York and maybe even Toronto appear to be looking at other positional needs, Hill could be on the short end of the stick come draft night.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would be beyond ecstatic if Hill dropped to us. He's the guy I've wanted for a while now.

Of course, knowing my luck, we'd pass on him or draft him and trade him ala Bayless. If that happened, my reaction last season would look like a Disney cartoon compared to this year.

I just can't see it. At worst I think NJ would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hill falling out of the top 10. Good luck with that. It's going to be tough to choose between him and Griffin when Grif also falls out of the top 10.

But boy does this match what my complaint on Patty Mills was earlier this year...
    NBA teams we spoke to still expressed some doubt regarding his (Mills) point guard skills, which is something he could still stand to work on. He posted 3 assists compared with 4 turnovers in the evening game, seeming to be hunting shots quite a bit, and didn’t look all that comfortable getting others involved.
    He and Curry squared off back at the end of the season and both chucked a ton of their own shots, not just by PG standards but SG standards too.

I like Mills handles and quickness, but at this point he's no passer.

The fact that Hill might fall out of the Top 10 in a draft where he's getting passed over for some guards who would have been taken in the teens in previous drafts doesn't speak well of him.

You can't compare Hill falling in the draft to Granger falling in the draft. Granger doesn't play PF and he had questions about his knees coming into the draft.

Considering Hill's size (he's obviously not undersized), position and the fact that there's no other PF any good besides Griffin, there's no way he should fall out of the Top 5 if he's any good at all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I would be beyond ecstatic if Hill dropped to us. He's the guy I've wanted for a while now.

Of course, knowing my luck, we'd pass on him or draft him and trade him ala Bayless. If that happened, my reaction last season would look like a Disney cartoon compared to this year.
    Then knowing your luck he'll rot on the bench somewhere, and then get mentioned as a thrown in for his team to get a new PF in the draft next year.

I'm sorry I've never been enamored with any of these guys from Arizona. If they were as good as they get hyped before every draft their team would have been better the past two years.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I just can't see it. At worst I think NJ would snatch him up in a heartbeat.
    They would without hesitation. Hill won't make it to #13.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    They would without hesitation. Hill won't make it to #13.
    Probably not, but it's nothing to agonize over. The guy just isn't that great.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I really don't think you can make an assertion of draft chatter. He had a good combine, and the scouts are not touting him in other workouts. It could be that other player's agents are getting their client more hype, while Hill's is not getting a foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I'm sorry I've never been enamored with any of these guys from Arizona. If they were as good as they get hyped before every draft their team would have been better the past two years.
    You mean the same Arizona team that finished in the Sweet Sixteen? Griffin's Sooners only made it one round further.

That's not a fair comparison at all. From what I saw of Hill, I saw the kind of player the Pacers need, one not too far from the mold of a Dale Davis, IMO. Sure, #5 may be a little high to take Dale Davis, but at #13 he would be a steal. Hell, if he slips to around #9-10, I'd try hard to trade up and grab him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A couple other things to consider about Hill is that he's really raw. He's only had the one good year in college (this past junior season) and only played 3 years of organized ball in High School and 3 in College. He has potetential but I think it's limited. He might become as good as Udonis Haslem at best which, IMO, isn't all that great. I think those are the real reasons he might slip.

Draft Express compares him to "Chris Wilcox with better rebounding" at best and "Ronny Turiaf" at worst. I will admit that he has a similar build and style as Kenyon Martin, which is whom he said he admired. (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Hill-1222/)

Granted at pick 13, if he falls that far, he'd be a good pick up for the Pacers and I'm pretty sure they'd select him.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 06-09-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    A couple other things to consider about Hill is that he's really raw. He's only had the one good year in college (this past junior season). He has potetential but I think it's limited. He might become as good as Udonis Haslem at best which, IMO, isn't all that great.

Draft Express compares him to "Chris Wilcox with better rebounding" at best and "Ronny Turiaf" at worst.

Granted at pick 13, if he falls that far, he'd be a good pick up for the Pacers and I'm pretty sure they'd select him.
    I'd be thrilled with Ronny Turiaf at 13 in this draft. Turiaf is a decent low-post defender and a good rebounder. As he proved last year, he can be the first big man off the bench for a title contender. If you get that from 13 (and in a bad draft, at that), that's a win.

And I say this never having seen Hill play outside of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    It could be that other player's agents are getting their client more hype, while Hill's is not getting a foot in the door.
    Jordan Hill shouldn't need any kind of hype at all from his agent if he's any good. None at all. He should have an automatic, built in advantage over other prospects just based on his size and position.

He plays a premium position and he's got the prototypical size to do it, along with no injury history or red flags. Anyone like that who's any good at all wouldn't be sweating about falling out of the Top 5 in a weak draft.

jordan hill probably isn't even a top 20 player in this draft...

In a stronger draft, Hill isn't even a lottery pick. He seems like he'll be a nice role player, but I think we can get a much better player at #13. He'll probably be a pretty good rebounder and might block a few shots, but I haven't seen any go-to offensive moves from him. Basically, Ronny Turiaf.

I know what a great trade for the Pacers we clearly got the better end of the deal.

Banned
    Mood

Hill's a good player. I don't think he'll ever be great, but he'll give you everything you want out of a big man. He's more skilled than Wilcox, more athletic than Gooden, and has a higher basketball IQ than both. I'd say Hill ending up on either of their level is a worst case scenario. There's almost zero chance he slides past all three of Milwaukee, New Jersey, and Charlotte, so if he drops to the bottom half of the top-10, we need to be talking to Toronto about a deal.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

http://www.draftexpress.com/agents/Bill-Duffy-11/

Billy Duffy also represents Jennings. And he represents Rondo, who also fell on draft day.

Hill should not need it, but others do to jump him?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Hill's a good player. I don't think he'll ever be great, but he'll give you everything you want out of a big man. He's more skilled than Wilcox, more athletic than Gooden, and has a higher basketball IQ than both. I'd say Hill ending up on either of their level is a worst case scenario. There's almost zero chance he slides past all three of Milwaukee, New Jersey, and Charlotte, so if he drops to the bottom half of the top-10, we need to be talking to Toronto about a deal.
    I agree with you that there is no way that Hill slips past those Teams. If DeRozan is available at their pick.....the Raptors will go for him since he won't drop to 13. The only chance would be if they went for Henderson....the problem is that we don't have anything of value that would entice the Raptors to draft Hill.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

billbradley

That's not a fair comparison at all. From what I saw of Hill, I saw the kind of player the Pacers need, one not too far from the mold of a Dale Davis, IMO. Sure, #5 may be a little high to take Dale Davis, but at #13 he would be a steal. Hell, if he slips to around #9-10, I'd try hard to trade up and grab him.
    i don't know if anyone already posted this from an older chad ford chat wrap, but here you be

Chat with Chad Ford
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/26641

Nasher(NY)

Who is this year's Brook Lopez, a player considered to be a high pick but drops for whatever reason? I have my money on Jordan Hill. I think the Nets are going to luck out again by getting him at 11.

Chad Ford

Maybe. I think he's Dale Davis with a little more upside. In this draft, though, that's a compliment. I think Washingon at No. 5, the Raptors at No. 9 and the Bucks at No. 10 all have to take a serious look. I don't see him slipping by all three teams.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The fact that Hill might fall out of the Top 10 in a draft where he's getting passed over for some guards who would have been taken in the teens in previous drafts doesn't speak well of him.

You can't compare Hill falling in the draft to Granger falling in the draft. Granger doesn't play PF and he had questions about his knees coming into the draft.

Considering Hill's size (he's obviously not undersized), position and the fact that there's no other PF any good besides Griffin, there's no way he should fall out of the Top 5 if he's any good at all.
    Here's the problem...

HE HASN'T FALLEN ANYWHERE YET!

No warning bells are going off because nothing has happened. The fact that someone is talking RUMORS about him falling suggests that someone really wants to smokescreen the issue and probably means someone else wants him.

Contrast this with last year where there were not many rumors about Bayless other than one troublesome one - that his personality wasn't coming off well in workout after workout. That wasn't enough to get him mocked out of the top 10 even 5 minutes before the draft started.

So the truth was there and no one was talking about draft stock. Meanwhile the talk was often about fake moves that were going to happen.

If you start pairing a "if the Wiz take Curry" with actual workout reasons, medical issues and multiple occurances of these rumors, then you got something. For now it sounds like the Wizards really, really, really want to trade down and are trying to say that Hill can be had if you are willing to trade up.

Hill vs Dale - I didn't see it at all. He's closer to Tony than Dale, but only in pure overall game balance (ie, offense vs defense). He's moderately comfortable back to the rim, definitely comfortable facing up, lanky style, not really power but not a scrawny lightweight, and appears to have some more growth still ahead.

He came off as pretty mature this year I thought. Seems like he has a solid personality.

Zero chance the Pacers get him unless the Wiz want TJ Ford and the 13th pick for filler (do they even have any).

Quote Originally Posted by croz
    jordan hill probably isn't even a top 20 player in this draft...
    No, we are talking about Jordan Hill from Arizona, not the kid your talking about.

Hill would need to add 2-3 inches to him arms to be compared to Dale Davis. No way is he the enforcer that dale was.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we got a great deal from the Wiz, I'd take him. Would LB like him? Would he fit in our offense?
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Jordan Hill has NO basketball IQ. Zilch. Nadda. He's dumber than Kwame Brown. Literally. My dog knows more about playing the game of basketball than he does. I'm not even exaggerating, either.