Thread: Okur is off to Utah

Default Okur is off to Utah

at least this is what www.realgm.com is reporting. the jazz extended an offer that is unlikely to be matched. they are also reporting that detroit is in the process of signing mcdyess.

Default Re: Okur is off to Utah

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn. I wanted Detroit to keep his overrated ***.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn. I wanted Detroit to keep his overrated ***.
    Don't worry about overrated.

Maybe they will get McDyess

Shade

You will be very surprised at what Okur will do next season, if in fact he lands in Utah.

In Sloan's system & with playing time, Okur could be most improved player next year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595074936,00.html

A top Jazz priority? 'Tag, you're it
    By Tim Buckley
    Deseret Morning News

The Jazz say one of their highest priorities this summer is right under their nose.
    And that's no lip service.
    He stands 7-foot-2, and has spent his entire nine-season career in Utah.
    That's right: The Jazz are working quite hard to keep Greg Ostertag, the unrestricted free agent center whose Salt Lake City stay has had its share of ups and downs.
    "We like Greg," Jazz owner Larry H. Miller said Friday, one day after the NBA's two-week free agency negotiating period opened.
    "The first thing Kevin (O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president for basketball operations) did," Miller said, "was to call Greg and say, 'I don't care what you hear from other guys, but we want you here. But at the right price. We don't have any ax to grind with you, we want you back - but it has to be under circumstances that work for both of us.' "
    If Ostertag is to stay put, he must take a cut in pay from the $8.67 million he made last season - though perhaps one not as drastic as some might suspect.
    The Jazz apparently want to keep Ostertag even if they land the big man who has emerged as their top target, Detroit Pistons restricted free agent Mehmet.
    But there is competition: Besides Okur, Phoenix is now known to have interest in Ostertag, too.
    Okur is believed to be seeking a six-year, $65 million deal. The 25-year-old Turk made $1.1 million playing for the NBA-champion Pistons this past season, and ESPN.com reported Friday night that Detroit has offered him a 6-year, $40 million contract to stay.
    ESPN.com also reported Friday night that San Antonio Spurs shooting guard Manu Ginobili a restricted free agent will visit with the Jazz today in Salt Lake City.
    The Jazz have more than $26 million in money under the NBA's team payroll salary cap to spend in the 2004-05 season, and are thought to feel good about where they stand with Okur - especially since Detroit cannot match any offers exceeding mid-level exception money (about $5 million for next season), and Phoenix's just-reached agreement with Dallas point guard Steve Nash would seem to preclude the Okur-seeking Suns from outbidding Utah.
    Okur and Ostertag, though, are hardly the only big men on Utah's radar.
    The Jazz are believed to have legitimate interest in pursuing a particular pair of power forwards, All-Star Kenyon Martin of New Jersey and 2004 Olympian Carlos Boozer of Cleveland.
    Martin, a restricted free agent, is seeking a max-type deal the Jazz hope the Nets might be reluctant to match. A report in Friday morning's Newsday that suggested the Jazz had already have made an offer to Martin simply was simply not true. But if Martin is serious about coming to Utah, it's now been learned, the Jazz would show reciprocal interest.
    The Cavaliers stunned the NBA world by declining to pick up the option season on Boozer's contract.
    Some suspect the Cavs did it so they could sign the Duke product to a long-term deal, one that pays much more than the $989,000 Boozer made this past season but is not nearly as costly as it would be if Boozer became a free agent next summer.
    Those same some suspect they also did it because they are quite confident a loyal Boozer will shun overtures from elsewhere.
    But the Jazz seem willing to test that loyalty, and see how much Boozer really wants to continue playing with NBA Rookie of the Year LeBron James.
    The Jazz do not seem nearly as confident about their chances at landing Martin or Boozer as they do about perhaps signing Okur, but they have decided wooing both is worth the effort.
    Beyond those four and their own restricted foursome of Jarron Collins, Carlos Arroyo, Gordan Giricek and Mo Williams, numerous others are falling in and out of the Jazz's free-agency picture.
    Utah was very interested in Dallas rookie guard Marquis Daniels, but the Mavs and Daniels have agreed to a six-year deal reportedly worth $38 million.
    Others now seemingly out of focus for Utah: Golden State center Erick Dampier, who supposedly is seeking a max deal ; Boston center Mark Blount, who seems likelier to sign with an Eastern Conference club; and a couple of lower-level big men, Memphis' Jake Tsakalidis and Boston's Chris Mihm.
    Also less likely now are those in a group that includes Memphis restricted free agent forward Stromile Swift and Los Angeles Lakers big man Slava Medvedenko.
    Still possible: Big men Brian Skinner of Milwaukee, Etan Thomas of Washington and Adonal Foyal of Golden State.
    Uncertain is the Jazz's true level of interest in Denver big man Michael Doleac, the University of Utah product.
    There is, though, a new name not previously attached to the Jazz that does have some degree of appeal to Utah.
    Phoenix power forward Antonio McDyess has been hounded by injury the past three seasons. The 29-year-old would have to pass a battery of medical tests before the Jazz actually signed him, but they do seem intrigued.
    Should Utah decide to go outside North America in its pursuit of big men, it could turn to 6-foot-10 Fabrico Oberto, who is from Argentina but played most recently in Spain.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Poor comparison. Sure, they're both moody shooting guards trapped in a big man's body, but Croshere is at least a hard worker.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

6 years 65 million?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    Shade

You will be very surprised at what Okur will do next season, if in fact he lands in Utah.

In Sloan's system & with playing time, Okur could be most improved player next year.

Agreed , I dunno why people underestimate Okur

Mood

Because he was unimpressive this postseason. So much so that in a game where both Wallaces had fouled out in that 3OT game vs New Jersey, Brown STILL refused to put in Okur. I want to say Campbell was gone too.

He never did a tone vs us either.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Well I am going off what I seen when he was a regular player I mean you could say the same about our bench , but that doesnt mean any of them are not good

Darn. I'd take McDyess (assuming he's close to healthy) over Okur anyday of the week. I'd like to keep Memo, but he showed me how soft he was in the playoffs. He really dissapointed me.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

King Mob

Okur in the playoffs was the same as Okur in the regular season. Decent man defense, poor team defense, great rebounding, good perimeter play, lapses in focus...he just did it for fewer minutes.

I don't see the comparison to Croshere...Cro is much more agressive taking it to the rack and is a tougher player, Memo is a much better rebounder and shooter.

Mood

Okur's a better shooter than Cro? News to me.

Okur might be the best center in the NBA at shooting off the dribble. But with his back to the basket, he's very weak and his help defense is poor also.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Okur might be the best center in the NBA at shooting off the dribble. But with his back to the basket, he's very weak and his help defense is poor also.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by recap
    The comparison of Croshere and Okur is not so much in the type of game they play as the fact that they each had one good season and got (or are about to get) a huge contract that the team will regret down the line. The person (I'm sorry that I don't remember who it was) that originally wrote about this also showed that their stats in their contract years were nearly identical.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/cgi-bin/...d=8;gtid=13911

And also, when Cro got his contract, he earned it. Remember, he played superb in the finals.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

The Utah Jazz have verbal commitments from restricted free agents Mehmet Okur and Gordan Giricek.

The Jazz would not release terms of either agreement, other than to say they were multiyear contracts, Utah vice president for basketball operations Kevin O'Connor said Monday night.

Detroit TV station WDIV reported the offer to Okur was for between $42 million and $48 million over six years.

The offer to Okur was first reported by the Detroit Free Press. Okur's agent, Marc Fleisher, did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press on Monday night.

O'Connor confirmed that there was an offer and Okur had agreed to it, but said he couldn't comment on the 7-footer.

Okur should help where the Jazz need it most. Utah struggled to score inside in its first season without Karl Malone and it got worse when leading-scorer Matt Harpring was lost for the season in January after knee surgery.

Center Greg Ostertag, who spent nine seasons with Utah, is an unrestricted free agent and it's unclear whether the Jazz will try to re-sign him.

Okur averaged 9.6 points and 5.9 rebounds in his second NBA season, and at age 25 fits the Jazz's plan to rebuild with young players.

Pistons president Joe Dumars said last week it was unlikely the Pistons could afford to sign Okur and unrestricted free agent Rasheed Wallace.

Okur is the first Turk to win an NBA championship. President Bush cited Okur in his speech during the recent NATO summit in Istanbul as an example of a Turk who has contributed to American life.

Giricek joined the Jazz after coming over in a deadline deal with Orlando for DeShawn Stevenson last season.

Giricek, a strong outside shooter, averaged 13.5 points in 25 games with the Jazz. Utah was impressed with Giricek right away and made a qualifying offer for him to stay on July 1, the day free agent negotiations could begin.

The Jazz also have qualifying offers out on restricted free agents Carlos Arroyo, Jarron Collins and Mo Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    Shade

Oh, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

First off, it's Utah. They have next to nothing, especially inside.

I didn't say Okur was a bad player -- but he IS overrated. Besides, how did Detroit plan to make room for Darko with the Wallaces and Okur all ahead of him?

Now, if Sheed leaves...the Pistons might be in trouble. If he waits too long to make his decision then decides to leave, Dumars will be left scrambling to pick up a big man. That's why we should be moving on one ourselves before the price starts to go up.
    [edit=15=1089131956][/edit]

One plus for Utah in the Cro/Memo comparison: Thanks to him signing with another team, it's only a 6 year deal, instead of Austin's 7. Granted, for more money per, but I'd say the contracts are pretty equal when you compare the salary structures of today vs. 2000.

I don't think Okur will fail as bad as Croshere. I don't see Utah coming up with another JO that'll take away his starting spot. Plus, it's hard for me to see this is a ridiculous contract, after reading about Foyle's.

However, I still expect Okur to be a bust. I feel sorry for the Jazz fans, finally losing Ostertag's big deal, then having this. Unless Detroit matches, of course. :crossfingers:
    ---
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Because he was unimpressive this postseason. So much so that in a game where both Wallaces had fouled out in that 3OT game vs New Jersey, Brown STILL refused to put in Okur. I want to say Campbell was gone too.

Al Harrington was unimpressive during the postseason as well.
    He's still our 3d best player. ed:
    I think Detroit with a real center might be unbeatable. Very happy to see him out of town.
    Ben Wallace is a real center. Height does not define a true center, skills and roles do.

As for McDyess, if he can stay healthy, I'd be overjoyed to have him. He's tougher than Okur will ever be, albeit not as talented. I dont care what position he plays, after the NBA finals Im convinced the Pistons dont need a guy 7'1" 250lb to win a championship. We took on and beat the biggest, strongest player in NBA history mainly with a guy 6'7" and 235 lbs. size doesnt impress me as much anymore.

[edit=64=1089143052][/edit]
    [edit=64=1089143126][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks

Al Harrington was unimpressive during the postseason as well.
    He's still our 3d best player. ed:
    I think Detroit with a real center might be unbeatable. Very happy to see him out of town.
    Ben Wallace is a real center. Height does not define a true center, skills and roles do.

As for McDyess, if he can stay healthy, I'd be overjoyed to have him. He's tougher than Okur will ever be, albeit not as talented. I dont care what position he plays, after the NBA finals Im convinced the Pistons dont need a guy 7'1" 250lb to win a championship. We took on and beat the biggest, strongest player in NBA history mainly with a guy 6'7" and 235 lbs. size doesnt impress me as much anymore.

The days of teams wanting/needing a "big center" are over. Give me athletic and skilled 6'9" - 6'11" 240-250Lbs big guys any day. There is nothing more useless than big "white stiffs" I only use the term "white stiffs" as a short hand to describe what I am talking about.

Give me big guys like Sheed, Ben, J.O and even Foster any day of the week. yes I wish Foster could shoot a little better

And no Brad Milelr is not a "big white stiff" he is very skilled although not as athletic as I would like

To me size is a secondary issue as well. Give me a great player regardless of height/weight. Scouts said AI was too short and hes won an MVP and multiple scoring titles, ditto about Barkley who was only 6"5"; Bill Russell was arguably the best center ever and he was only 6'9" 215 lbs. but averaged 23 rebounds a game for his career. Wallace is a great example of a current player, some guys just play much bigger then their size.