View Poll Results: Which Pacers newcomer was the best of 2009?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • T.J. Ford

0 0%
  • Roy Hibbert

14 20.29%
  • Brandon Rush

21 30.43%
  • Rasho Nesterovich

0 0%
  • Josh McRoberts

1 1.45%
  • Jarrett Jack

33 47.83%

Thread: Welcome to the 2nd annual PD Pacers awards show- Newcomer of the year

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Welcome to the 2nd annual PD Pacers awards show- Newcomer of the year

Past winners-

2008: Travis Deiner

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Default Re: Welcome to the 2nd annual PD Pacers awards show- Newcomer of the year

Jack.

Default Re: Welcome to the 2nd annual PD Pacers awards show- Newcomer of the year

i voted for rush. at the end of the season, he had me the most excited about 2010.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I voted Rush- even though getting Jarrett Jack has been really nice for the Pacers so far.

Hibbert.

For all the reasons given by Seth in his "I don't care" thread. Plus, donuts.

Can't go with Jack because he made a lot of mistakes that a veteran shouldn't. all Hibbert's mistakes can be explained as rookie mistakes. (But he's no longer a rookie, so he has no more excuses.)
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I voted Jack, but I easily could have voted Hibbert. Rush is a slightly distant third because it took him a while.

I'll go Roy. I love the offensive promise that he showed all season long. I would've voted for Brandon if he wouldn't have come on so late in the year.

I love both of these guys. They are going to be staples of this franchise for a long, long time along with Danny Granger. It's amazing to me how much more I enjoyed rooting for these guys this season than I did any of the previous 6. It was so hard for me to like those teams.

When this team is making the playoffs I will be proud to say that I watched most of the games of Hibbert and Rush's rookie season. It's going to be neat to watch guys grow up like this.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.

I felt Jack was, but then I always wanted Jack in a Pacers' uni.

Gotta love Roy !!!

I think most of the guys on the list ended up being exactly what we thought they'd be, so I voted for Jack. I think be exceeded expectations more than the rest.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Because he was given the opportunity to contribute and actually delivered many times throughout the year, my vote goes to Jack, despite my belief that Rush will have an overall larger impact on the franchise going forward.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Best of 2009? Jack.

Best hope for the future? Rush.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm always looking to the future... so Rush.

Sports Logo

Jack was shaky at first, but then became solid as the season progressed.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't care how well he played, I still don't like Jack's game.

If I ask myself deep down inside, I have to admit that I think he had a "contract year" - nothing more, nothing less.

I've never spoken of this before now, and I won't likely discuss it afterward, as I like the guy as a person and if he stays a pacer and contributes to our team, I will support him. But I think a lot of us took Jack's performance WAY out of context and turned him into some kind of player he is not.

Just my two cents.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care how well he played, I still don't like Jack's game.

If I ask myself deep down inside, I have to admit that I think he had a "contract year" - nothing more, nothing less.

I've never spoken of this before now, and I won't likely discuss it afterward, as I like the guy as a person and if he stays a pacer and contributes to our team, I will support him. But I think a lot of us took Jack's performance WAY out of context and turned him into some kind of player he is not.

Just my two cents.
    Interesting points. I like Jack more for his mental toughness, his leadership, his grittiness. I'll happily admit his game has a lot of flaws - more than I would prefer from a PG. But he's the anti-Tinsley: what he lacks in raw talent he makes up with hustle, tough mindedness, leadership. I hope he stays with the Pacers a long time, and he's the best PG currently on our roster. But we still need to find a long-term starting PG.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jack, and it's not even close. Rush and Roy came on a bit late, but Jack made his mark far more than anyone else that joined the Pacers last season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Jack, and it's not even close. Rush and Roy came on a bit late, but Jack made his mark far more than anyone else that joined the Pacers last season.
    Did you know that there is a new flavor of Kool-Aid?

It's called JACK.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Interesting points. I like Jack more for his mental toughness, his leadership, his grittiness. I'll happily admit his game has a lot of flaws - more than I would prefer from a PG. But he's the anti-Tinsley: what he lacks in raw talent he makes up with hustle, tough mindedness, leadership. I hope he stays with the Pacers a long time, and he's the best PG currently on our roster. But we still need to find a long-term starting PG.
    Seconded...I can understand not liking his game, and I agree that he's not the ideal PG of the future, but the idea that he had a "contract year" has some ugly implications that I neither agree with or think is particularly fair.
    Last edited by count55; 06-08-2009 at 01:05 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

First of all is having Jack and Rush leading this vote Shade's worst nightmare or what.

Second, tough call for me. I said Rush but nearly went with Jack. Overall I go with Jack, but I like what Rush was for the team in the final month more than what Jack was all year. I think Rush became a more critical piece than Jack by the end of the year.

Considering both were acquired with the same draft pick that's a pretty nice addition. I really want to see Jack return, primarily because of attitude. He's a leader type, he's a guy that imposes himself on the situation in a positive though sometimes volatile way and the Pacers have been lacking that for some time (maybe since Jax left a decade ago).

I don't think he needs to be a big minutes guy or a starter to fill that role either.

Long term though I think Rush is going to help the team much more. I'm excited because I liked him as a prospect, liked his game, and it's looking like that's going to pan out as hoped. I look forward to some fun seasons watching him grow.