View Poll Results: Should more US leagues take sponsorships on uniforms?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 35.48%
  • No

15 48.39%
  • Undecided

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Sponsorships and Uniforms

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT: Sponsorships and Uniforms

Well, as most of you know LifeLock was given the go to slap their name on the Phoenix Mercury's jerseys for 3 years and "seven-figures" according to our beloved Kelly Krauskopf http://tinyurl.com/q9v5yk.

This article also explains that they are exploring options to see if the Fever can do something similar. If you remember in a previous season or two ago, McDonald's took over a small spot under the collar of their jerseys for certain games that were nationally televised.

Even their logo that is used in local media has the Community Health Network's signage at the bottom.

Obviously we know corporate sponsorships in European football are big. Heck, even MLS slaps sponsors on the front of the teams' shirts.

My question is, how do most of you feel about this? Does sponsorship branding steal the identity of teams, or does it matter?

Sure, something like this could easily solve many of the sports franchises in the US, but is it a good idea?

How would you feel if all the sudden the Pacers were now the Clarian Health Pacers?
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 06-05-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Default Re: OT: Sponsorships and Uniforms

I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do in these times. I'm OK with it as long as it doesn't dwarf the real brand - the Indiana Pacers. Sounds like from the article the corporate logo is the focus rather than the team name. That I don't like. Used to be I knew where every stadium or bowl game was played. Now I don't. Another thing I don't like is bankrupt companies or corporations receiving bailout money being allowed to retain naming rights. That should be the first thing gone in the restructuring. It's a frivolous expenditure and nothing could convince me there is that much benefit to an airline or insurance company having naming right.

And lastly, AIG should not be allowed to spend money like that for ANYTHING! Those idiots took their name off their building in Manhattan - why should they be allowed to have it elsewhere?
    Last edited by ABADays; 06-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I don't like the idea due to the Euroleague feel it would give the league, it might be minimized to an extent if it were put more like "Indiana Pacers, brought to you in part by Clarian Health" and had rotating sponsorships. However, I'm not sure this is even a good idea. I voted undecided.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this whole fear about team identity being subsumed into the corporate sponsor thing in the US sports market is simply because the teams are not "teams" but "franchises." Basically teams have been relocated without a second thought, slapped on a new name and life goes on for them (see Lakers, Jazz, Hornets, Bobcats, Thunder... the list goes on and on). I guess that's where the fear stems from.

The vast majority of football clubs (soccer to you folks) worldwide would simply laugh at such a fear - because they are "clubs" first and foremost. They enjoy an individual identity that is much more recognisable and relatable to most sports franchises in any US sport (though this may be due to the very centralised nature of such leagues).

My club, Arsenal, are sponsored by Nike and Emirates Airlines and thus wear Nike gear with Emirates splashed across the front. This is what the new away shirt looks like:

http://replicaroom.com/productsImage...nalA-Short.jpg

Although the Fly Emirates logo is pretty big, it's not garish nor ugly nor as prominent as you'd expect. And no-one would mistake it for a team called "The Fly Emirates Arsenal" or whatever.

I mean, you have NY Red Bull in the MLS, but that's a very weird and outlying case.

Just my two cents. The Pacers (I believe) still have a very strong and unique identity among most NBA observers and in the state of Indiana itself, and having a shirt sponsor won't be degrading this image in any way, and ultimately would matter to us Pacer fans, as long as it's integrated in a tasteful way into the uniform.

But actual team naming rights... now that's another matter. The Clarian Health Pacers?

Thankfully I don't see this being implemented anywhere in the near future. *knockwood*

Mood

For the record, I used Clarian Health as an example. Mainly because they regained a sponsorship over an area in the building. The Clarian Health Entry Pavilion. First thing that popped in my mind. lol

In no way are there talk or rumors of the Pacers gaining an actual sponsor in the context we are in.

Ahhhh . . . . Emirates. The best airline I have even flown on.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record, I used Clarian Health as an example. Mainly because they regained a sponsorship over an area in the building. The Clarian Health Entry Pavilion. First thing that popped in my mind. lol

In no way are there talk or rumors of the Pacers gaining an actual sponsor in the context we are in.
    I know... it sounds horrible. But it would be nice to get a nice flow of income (very substantial, would help our situation a LOT) in exchange for a shirt sponsorship deal... though the problem is that teams have their logo/name thing that takes up most of the space at the front.

I'd love to see the actual team crest (logo) used more on the shirt, maybe have it on the left chest like in the pic I posted earlier, and then have the sponsor in the middle. Dunno how it'd turn out though, especially given the form factor of a basketball jersey.

woman without a team

Big Ten uniforms already have that God awful Nike swish on them so as far as I'm concerned if someone wants to pay for it the might as well have sponsors.

Why do I keep thinking of the "Bad News Bears"?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Why do I keep thinking of the "Bad News Bears"?
    Chico's Bail Bonds

I'm not opposed to small patches, but I don't like having a big ad in the center and I despise the idea of doing what the Mercury just did by replacing their own name (on the jersey) with the sponsor's name.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Chico's Bail Bonds

Yes, this would have been both funnier and more painful had this conversation been had two or three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not opposed to small patches, but I don't like having a big ad in the center and I despise the idea of doing what the Mercury just did by replacing their own name (on the jersey) with the sponsor's name.
    Absolutely agree.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, like I said earlier something like this could totally diminish any form of identity that a team could have. A pactch is a good idea if this is necessary. Maybe something on the warm-ups.

Look, money is great. We all want it, we all need it. I don't need it this badly.

Hmmm, it's huge in Europe. My favorite soccer team, FC Barcelona, has never had a sponsor. Unicef is on their jerseys now, but that space is donated to them, and there had never been anything but the Barcelona logo on the jerseys up until that point.

If done tastefully, I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone loves NASCAR and they're just moving billboard.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So their uniforms don't say Mercury or Phoenix on them anymore?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    So their uniforms don't say Mercury or Phoenix on them anymore?

I can understand maybe the sponsor on the top corner of their uniform but not as the uniform's name.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

If done tastefully, I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone loves NASCAR and they're just moving billboard.
    Auto racing is a completely different animal when it comes to sponsorships.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Auto racing is a completely different animal when it comes to sponsorships.
    I think that a similar rationale can be applied. Drivers and teams would still make money without those sponsors.

Come and visit some euro basketball games or the very best example - Estonian League - here you'll see, what sponsors will do - it's possible, that a team will change he's name every year. But when you want to play, then you need to do it (even if the name will not look so nice)
    Little jersey example

BTW - the guy - Tanel Kurbas - is registered in this years draft

Racings more individual than other sports so I understand having sponsors on their uniforms and car.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    Racings more individual than other sports so I understand having sponsors on their uniforms and car.
    How come tennis players and golfers don't slap Tide and McDonald's logos on their chests?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    How come tennis players and golfers don't slap Tide and McDonald's logos on their chests?
    Who knows. Less money needed for what they do.

I'm originally from Australia and like with most sports leagues outside the US, the NBL (Australia's national bball league) has a heavy sponsorship influence.

I've never really noticed any confusion or loss of identity with the sponsorship. Having said that, I've always liked the "pure" look of major American sports. The NBA, NFL, MLB etc uniforms are so much cleaner, as they're designed around one major theme and haven't got numerous company logos, with conflicting colors plastered all over them.

With the current financial climate as it is, it may eventually become an option for the NBA. I don't think anyone should worry about a loss of identity, because in my experience, sponsorship doesn't really affect that. If it means the survival of a league then it's obviously the way to go. I hope it doesn't come to that however, because as I mentioned before, there's a kind of purity in a uniform with no sponsorship.