Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

  1. #1

    Default Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Looks like the Nets have changed their Brooklyn arena design plans and look to build an arena that looks VERY similar to Conseco Fieldhouse, although they claim it resembles an airplane hangar. The designers are the same ones who built Conseco Fieldhouse, but see the link below and take a look for yourself to see the similarities:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/ny...y.html?_r=2&hp

  2. #2
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,683

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    The world needs more Conseco Fieldhouses and fewer Staples Centers, in my opinion.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  3. #3
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,779

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    It kind of looks like Dallas' place as well.

  4. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,048

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    I think the Spurs and Bobcats new arenas were also built by the same co. and are similar to Conseco
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-05-2009 at 09:10 AM.

  5. #5
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    One more reason for me not to like the Nets. This design is a total ripoff. Good architects will take previous ideas and make them different, better. This is pretty much the same thing.

    When did Brooklyn value basketball as much as we do?

  6. #6
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did Brooklyn value basketball as much as we do?
    Wow. Don't let Spike Lee hear you say that.

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #7
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. Don't let Spike Lee hear you say that.

    In my mind I feel outraged that Ellerbe Beckett would do such a thing. Our place is unique to us. I mean come on, the GM of the Nets probably told them to make another Fieldhouse, because they play in that ****hole IZOD Center.

    "Well maybe if we have a place like that people will like us!"

    HA! Yeah right! We already have the cathedral among shacks and we can't even fill it!

  8. #8
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    I've been to the Continental Airlines Arena/Izod Center like 4 or 5 times for the Pacers. When it was Continental it looked like a big white box as the arena. Going there last season it was redone on the outside a little by adding some color to the white.

    Other than that I think the Brooklyn idea is ok I guess. Just too many NY teams.

    I like New York Nets rather than Brooklyn Nets.

  9. #9
    Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northside
    Age
    26
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like New York Nets rather than Brooklyn Nets.
    I like Brooklyn Dodgers rather than Los Angeles Dodgers.

    Brooklyn deserves to have its own team again.

  10. #10
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Brooklyn Dodgers rather than Los Angeles Dodgers.

    Brooklyn deserves to have its own team again.
    They're getting their wish granted.

    Brooklyn Dodgers is a classic name though and I agree I like that inastead of Los Angeles.

  11. #11
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,017

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    When did Brooklyn value basketball as much as we do?
    Have you ever seen the kids play ball in Brooklyn? They've been doing it awhile over there, too. It ain't all about cornfields and crew cuts, even though Indiana does own a good portion of the claim to basketball mecca.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

  12. #12
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Brooklyn basketball players play on the hot, blacktop courts and they use chain nets.

    I always like going through Brooklyn.

  13. #13
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you ever seen the kids play ball in Brooklyn? They've been doing it awhile over there, too. It ain't all about cornfields and crew cuts, even though Indiana does own a good portion of the claim to basketball mecca.
    I was going of the nostalgia of what we have. We have a museum/arena/church.

    If Brooklyn wants to show off their passion for streetball, they can build a blacktop and a chain-linked fence.

    I just don't like it. The Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind.

  14. #14
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. #15
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
    I sir, am not flattered.

  16. #16
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,017

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going of the nostalgia of what we have. We have a museum/arena/church.

    If Brooklyn wants to show off their passion for streetball, they can build a blacktop and a chain-linked fence.

    I just don't like it. The Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind.
    Come on Duke that's just silly. That's like saying the Pacers might as well be playing in a cornfield in Bedford. I've never seen a cornfield or a driveway as nice as the Fieldhouse.

    What do you mean that the Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind? Was there a legal agreement with the people who built it? I do like the idea of CF being unique but also think it is cool that we have spawned a new trend in basketball arenas.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

  17. #17
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,683

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind.
    It was? Was this something said at the time or something you made up in your head?

    This is the Disney Concert Hall by Frank Gehry:



    This is the precedent Guggenheim Museum, also by Frank Gehry:



    They are absolutely both one-of-a-kind buildings, though they are each a part of a larger body of work.

    The Brooklyn design is by the same archtect that designed the Fieldhouse. It's design is informed by the lessons of building the Fieldhouse. But each are unique in several ways.

    Good ideas need to be repeated or the human culture will never progress.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  19. #18
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Duke, you shouldn't be that outraged. It happens all the time! Just look at the ballparks in baseball. Anyway, Indiana isn't exclusive in being identified for basketball. Personally, I believe that NYC has as rich of a history to the game we love as we do.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  20. #19
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,650

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I just don't like it. The Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind.

    Except that the retro stadium idea was popularized by Camden Yards in Baltimore.

    I agree with LA, good ideas need to be built on. I'm flattered as a Pacer fan that someone likes our facility enough to replicate it somewhat.

    Lucas Oil was modeled somewhat after Reliant Stadium, but that doesn't take away from the beauty of either facility.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  22. #20
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,295

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    I think we should be flattered.

    Now, if the new building ends up being a much better home court advantage-like it tends to be for us-and it results in them passing us in the standings.

    Well, thats a different story...now you have something to be pissed off about.

  23. #21
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    The inside looks like the Fieldhouse. The modern theme of it.

  24. #22
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,017

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    I wish that the NFL would go with the retro look like the NBA and MLB owners are doing as far as it comes to new stadiums. This new trend of stadiums they have right now- in the Cards stadium, the Colts, and the Texans are incredibly ugly. Lincoln Financial Field in Philly is somewhat of an exception.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-07-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

  25. #23
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,650

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish that the NFL would go with the retro look like the NBA and MLB owners are doing as far as it comes to new stadiums. This new trend of stadiums they have right now- in the Cards stadium, the Colts, and the Texans are incredibly ugly. Lincoln Financial Field in Philly is somewhat of an exception.
    I'll take Lucas and Reliant over hideous domes any day.

  26. #24
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    I'm just trying to stir the pot, guys. The summers are really slow.

  27. #25

    Default Re: Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did Brooklyn value basketball as much as we do?
    I realize now you're "just trying to stir the pot", but I thought I'd point out a few Pacer links to Brooklyn:

    -our first Pacer and a guy whose jersey hangs from Conseco grew up there (Roger Brown)
    -two players who played prominent roles on our better NBA teams (one more than the other) did as well (Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson)
    -our current head coach is from there too

    If there is another NBA city fit to go with a retro arena design, it's Brooklyn.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoPacer For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Conseco Fieldhouse Still #1 for Fans
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. Airport to Conseco Fieldhouse?
    By CableKC in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 01:26 AM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 07:38 AM
  4. Jason Kidd "on strike" from Nets...
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
  5. Conseco Fieldhouse
    By Smashed_Potato in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •