Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephan Curry

Default Stephan Curry

I was wondering what you fellow board members think of his future in the leauge.

My take-
    The kid has a real nice jumper, quick release, and should be very serviceable in the league for several years. He will never be an Allstar or MVP caliber but very deserving of 20 minutes a game in the league for several years.

I am wondering who will be picked first him or Demar Derozan?

Default Re: Stephan Curry

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was wondering what you fellow board members think of his future in the leauge.

My take-
    The kid has a real nice jumper, quick release, and should be very serviceable in the league for several years. He will never be an Allstar or MVP caliber but very deserving of 20 minutes a game in the league for several years.

I am wondering who will be picked first him or Demar Derozan?
    Whenever you have a quick release you can do wonders in the league no matter how under sized you are. Not the quickest player off the dribble may need teamates to find him more often than not for him to get his shot off, but overall I think he will be exceptional hit running jumpers and mid range twos. other than that eh I am not really sold

He'll be able to score well, but won't be able to run an offense. I don't see any position on the floor he's going to be able to defend.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He will have a Steve Kerr role on a team. I think the Magic would be ideal for him. He has the range and with Hedo he doesn't need to initiate. I think until he plays solid defense he will never get more than 20 mpg.

He's gonna be a very good player. A starter or 30 mpg player, one of better people to the line...a much better verison of Terry.

If we draft him I would rather trade him like Bayless
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

A college SG just doesn't make the transition to NBA PG. The later in the draft he goes (better team), the better off he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    A college SG just doesn't make the transition to NBA PG. The later in the draft he goes (better team), the better off he will be.
    Wasn't Hinrich a SG in college
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Billups....

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime
    Wasn't Hinrich a SG in college
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97
    Billups...
    Don't think so. He averaged about 5 assist a game in college.

Here is a video of Curry's Bobcats workout...

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...ts,_interviews

This is a bit dated but its Bob Knight's take on Curry. I think it aired right before the tournament if anyone missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyTIQq5H-g

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He made the transition in college and did very well. Wasn't he near the top in the Nation in assists? Put that with the fact he had an awful team around him and still managed to make them better, shows what type of player he can be.

Nope.

Don't think so. He averaged about 5 assist a game in college.

So what? Is Terrance Williams a point guard then? He averaged 5 a game for the Cards this year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post:

No no no.

The same thing I was trying to say about Redick a few years ago when everyone was clamoring for him around here. Just no.

Yuck.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    So what? Is Terrance Williams a point guard then? He averaged 5 a game for the Cards this year.
    Hey, I was just looking around to find out if either of the guys mentioned did indeed play SG or PG in college. I couldn't find anything that definitely put Billups in that class, so I made an assumption based on what I found.

But, it does appear that there are very, very few that have made a successful transition. Curry isn't talented or athletic enough to be one of that few.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    Heh. We'll see how he turns out, but if I look 2 or 3 years ahead I think I'd rather have a Granger/Ru****Will backcourt than a Granger/Rush/Ford one.

The dude's 6'5". If he was 6'4" we'd say he had great size for a PG. If he can defend the position and run the team, what's the problem?

EDIT: I'm not saying I like Twill as a PG, I'm just saying I'd rather have TWill at PG than some of the PGs we've had in the past 3 years.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-07-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Until TWill learns to dribble under pressure, there is no way he is playing point.

Hinrich played SG in his last two seasons in college, PG before that. There were some doubts about his PG abilities, even though he was a coach's son and had some experience at the position.

In general, non-PG's from college almost never become PG's in the NBA. Most college PG's lack some true PG skills. If a guy has talent in that direction, he'd play there.

A lot of NBA teams has seen 6'2" guys with speed and a jumper and a handle and thought "maybe we can make a PG out of him." The track record of such efforts is weak.

George McCloud was the great Pacers experiment that way years ago. Didn't exactly work out.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Curry can and will be a good NBA PG. He has a great feel for the game and is a excellent passer, even though he didn't have much to pass to at Davidson. He's not a JJ Redick "just a shooter" type.

It's a crap shoot for just about any PG coming out of College anyway, I'd love to see us take a chance on Curry.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I think he will be at least a Tony Delk, who had a nice 10 year career as a guy who was really a SG in a PG's body but who knows how to score.

I happen to think that Curry can become an adequate playmaker though, and be a good starter/6th/7th man for quite a while. So the best case scenario is quite a bit higher. Dunno, maybe a Derek Fisher-type career?

I think he's going to be an NBA starting PG. He shouldn't be any worse defensively than Steve Nash, and I think his passing is going to be quite a bit better than one would think. It's a problem with his teammates being horrible, not his inability to pass the ball. He played PG full time this season, and his numbers were pretty good.

I think he's always going to be a defensive liability, but he's such a great shooter that he'll find a niche somewhere, even if it's with a team like Portland that has a guard that handles the ball. This is a little tongue-in-cheek, but he would have done wonders for Marko Jaric's career.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    a Granger/Ru****Will backcourt
    Interesting Typo

I hope we get Curry. IMHO he would be a steal at 13. He can play pg, great handles and passing skills. He scored a lot because his college team needed him too. I forgot to mention he is without doubt the best shooter in the draft.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I am just wondering how many of you saw him play against Purdue and Butler this year. I know he was injured against Butler but Purdue had him looking terrible. I know it is one game and Purdue plays great defense but odds are he is gone b/f the Pacers pick because Charlotte or New Jersey would take him in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If we draft him I would rather trade him like Bayless
    Unlike Bayless, if Curry falls to us, I don't have any real problem with a draft-and-trade. Curry doesn't strike me as the right guy for this team.