Thread: Coach K rejects Lakers' offer

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Coach K rejects Lakers' offer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1834596

It takes balls to turn down $40 million.

recap

Default Re: Coach K rejects Lakers' offer

I can understand why someone with the premiere job in college basketball wouldn't want to get involved in the mess that is the Lakers. I think that we could see several years of Lakers not making the playoffs in the West depending on how this all works intself out. I'm sure Coach K is making plenty of cash at Duke, not to mention the endorsement deals that he could have.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rudy T
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Some people will always go for all the money they can get, but it's been said by really rich people time and time again that money doesn't buy happiness. Lots of times it buys the reverse.

Money should be nothing but a tool to make you happy, not unhappy. So you have to decide how much money is sufficient and then work toward having a happy life.

Props to K for turning down the money!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    money doesn't buy happiness. Lots of times it buys the reverse.

You got it WG. That's why I've chosen to have a zero net worthed:

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Anyone think Kobe is really going to go to the Clippers? Or that the Lakers will really get offered what is percieved as "real value" for Shaq?

If I had to bet on one I would bet on Kobe going to the Clips I suppose. Where he'll pull a McGrady/Carter in about 3 years.

i wish he would have taken the job. i hate duke big time.
    but it's very easy to see why he didn't. on one side he has the modern equivelant to the ucla dynasty with all the top recruits who don't go straight to the pros coming to play for him. kind of a snowball effect going on there. besides, with all the endorsements he's got- he is probably making more money right now.
    if he had gone to l.a. he would inherit a fabled but troubled franchise. kobe and shaq no longer want to play together and it does not bode well for this franchise anytime soon when you look at everything from kobe and shaq to malone and payton. WAY too much uncertainty there for old mike. he does not want to try to rebuild a program which is exactly what he would have to do there.
    i knew phil jackson was a phony and when his boys got crushed this time, no way would he have stuck around even if management had begged for him to stay- which they didn't. he only goes to teams that have everything ready for him.

Reports this morning I heard on the radio, and no I don't have a link unfortunately, say that Rudy T has accepted the job.

5 years $36 million.

The funny thing is they were offering Coach K and one of the other college coachs(can't remember which one) the 5 year $40 Million. I guess they felt Rudy T wasn't worth as much?