Thread: Minnesota/Indiana

Default Minnesota/Indiana

Another version of the same idea I tried a few days ago to discuss.

Indiana trades TJ Ford, the rights to Erazem Lorbek, and 2009 second round pick to Minnesota

Minnesota trades Brian Cardinal, draft picks #18 and #28 in the 2009 draft to Indiana

Why for Minnesota: Gets a legitimate NBA starting point guard with experience. Gets rid of Cardinals salary in 2009-2010. Lorbek is a sweetener.

Why for Indiana: Pacers get 2 late first round picks to help build their roster. By keeping #13 and adding the later picks, the Pacers can take a point guard at #18 to replace Ford, and take another position player at #13. Cardinal has an expiring deal, which can be used as a trade chip during the season or to help save us money in 2010-2011. This also clearly gives the starting job to Jarrett Jack (assuming that we are sure we are going to re-sign him).

Thoughts for both teams perspectives please.

Default Re: Minnesota/Indiana

First off, if Ford was a legit no bones about it starting PG as you say, the Pacers wouldn't consider trading him, given his still relatively young age. As it is, there are considerations about his size, medical history, inconsistency and the fact that a career backup overtook him for the starting spot last year.

I just think Minnesota with Foye and Telfair, doesn't really need to give up 2 first round picks (albeit not very high ones) to take on a guy who is marginal starter at best and his relatively expensive contract for another 2 years.

For the Pacers, it's a no brainer. You can rationalize it as fair if you squint at it, but at the end of the day I just don't think the Wolves really need to do this deal.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ford is one of only 2 Pacers with a positive Roland rating. The only reason he is a "borderline" starter is because Jack is so good. Most teams aren't bless with as two good PGs as the Pacers are.

Yes, they both have faults and aren't All-Stars, but there's plenty of teams that need help at the PG position.

One of those is Minnesota.

If they go big at #6 with Thabeet falling or address a need at SF where Brewer isn't working out, then I could see Minnesota doing this. They're not going to get a starting PG at those draft spots and Cardinal sure isn't worth anything other than an expiring. At #18 you'd get lucky to have Teague or Maynor as options... Getting a veteran PG as an option over a rookie PG from a weak draft...

Telfair is an experiment that has gone too long. He is what he is: a high school phenom.

And Foye proved he's a SG when he blossomed when moved back to that position this past season.

Now would Minnesota want to couple Ford with Foye as the smallest starting backcourt in the Western Conference? Well quickness has it's pluses.

And if you've got Thabeet behind you...

It definitely improves the Twolves. Will probably depend if there's a run on PGs or someone drops. They're truly set at the PF position for a while. They def. can add the salary.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ford is one of only 2 Pacers with a positive Roland rating. The only reason he is a "borderline" starter is because Jack is so good. Most teams aren't bless with as two good PGs as the Pacers are.

Yes, they both have faults and aren't All-Stars, but there's plenty of teams that need help at the PG position.

One of those is Minnesota.

If they go big at #6 with Thabeet falling or address a need at SF where Brewer isn't working out, then I could see Minnesota doing this. They're not going to get a starting PG at those draft spots and Cardinal sure isn't worth anything other than an expiring. At #18 you'd get lucky to have Teague or Maynor as options... Getting a veteran PG as an option over a rookie PG from a weak draft...

Telfair is an experiment that has gone too long. He is what he is: a high school phenom.

And Foye proved he's a SG when he blossomed when moved back to that position this past season.

Now would Minnesota want to couple Ford with Foye as the smallest starting backcourt in the Western Conference? Well quickness has it's pluses.

And if you've got Thabeet behind you...

It definitely improves the Twolves. Will probably depend if there's a run on PGs or someone drops. They're truly set at the PF position for a while. They def. can add the salary.
    That's just a lot of ifs....starting with Thabeet falling to #6 and starting the smallest backcourt in the league.

It's not a crazy trade by any stretch. I just don't think it's a deal Minnesota needs. Most likely they'll end up just drafting a PG where they're picking now.

Mood

I like it pretty much. I don't know that Minny would like it, but it is more pallatable than trying to push the Tin Man on them.