Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OMG

You think the league doesn't want a CLE-LA series? I just watched that display of officiating at the end of the CLE-ORL game 4. UNREAL!!!

Default Re: OMG

You mean where Verijao tackles Howard? I know.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought the foul on Pietrus was much more blatant. I mean, LeBron really just got in his way there and tripped himself up over Pietrus' legs.

The lob foul was actually pretty arguable. I could see that both ways.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

They aren't going to call that lob foul after the fiasco with Granger-Lebron from earlier this year. I've seen some really questionable calls going both ways late in this game. I think a lot of people here just have some weird anti-Lebron bias, so they're going to be quick to point out any little mistake.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coop For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's not anti-LeBron. It's pro-LeBron I have an issue with.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a lot of people here just have some weird anti-Lebron bias
    Yep. And the whole 'the league wants such-and-such matchup' thing is getting really old.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

They aren't going to call that lob foul after the fiasco with Granger-Lebron from earlier this year. I've seen some really questionable calls going both ways late in this game. I think a lot of people here just have some weird anti-Lebron bias, so they're going to be quick to point out any little mistake.
    I am Anti-Lebron, and Anti-Kobe. I am sick of the Nike ads, the Vitamin Water ads, the Documentaries by Spike Lee, the Infomercials by Nike, and any other thing that publicizes how "wonderful" these two players are. A Kobe/Lebron Finals may be what the NBA, Nike, and the people living in LA, and Cleveland want but I most certainly don't want 7 games of one on one basketball. I want both to lose, and the two "teams" remaining Denver and Orlando to make the finals. That way it will not be a series on One on One competitions but a contest between two teams. Is that biased enough for you?

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DrBadd01 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    I am Anti-Lebron, and Anti-Kobe. I am sick of the Nike ads, the Vitamin Water ads, the Documentaries by Spike Lee, the Infomercials by Nike, and any other thing that publicizes how "wonderful" these two players are. A Kobe/Lebron Finals may be what the NBA, Nike, and the people living in LA, and Cleveland want but I most certainly don't want 7 games of one on one basketball. I want both to lose, and the two "teams" remaining Denver and Orlando to make the finals. That way it will not be a series on One on One competitions but a contest between two teams. Is that biased enough for you?
    Excellent post

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I was merely referencing the numerous comments about how the NBA is treating everyone outside Lebron unfairly. In reality, that's not true. Lebron had 5 fouls tonight along with 8 turnovers. If the referees were really that concerned about the Cavs being in the finals, they could have easily made a lot more calls going in Clevelands favor.
    Last edited by Coop; 05-27-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Mood

I got one heck of a thread topic if it goes to a magic/nugs finals
    Last edited by Major Cold; 05-27-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: ipod touch

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Magic nuts?
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

I also find it funny that the people ridiculing and rooting against Lebron for the reasons DrBadd stated are often the same people that love and cherish Peyton as our quarterback. How many different commercials and ads does Manning do per year? It's a lot. You also see him being visibly upset, whining and rolling his eyes when his teammates can't make a play. But yet he's loved because he's "one of us". I have a feeling that if Lebron was on the Pacers, all of you would be eating up his commercials, documentaries, etc. It just seems a bit hypocritical.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coop For This Useful Post:

I have a feeling that if Lebron was on the Pacers, all of you would be eating up his commercials, documentaries, etc.
    No way.......

So you agree that it's hypocritical? I'm sensing some hostility from some posters over this topic and I don't really know why they feel it's warranted. I think if you watch the games without a preference either way, it's pretty obvious that there's no conspiracy going on. At the same time, it comes across as a severe case of jealousy and hypocrisy to wish someone poorly simply because of media exposure when we've got Manning making millions off commercials himself.

I love Lebron's game. But I too really hate the way he is promoted by Nike... like he is Jesus Christ... "I am a witness!" That really turns me off. But it doesn't bother me enough to not appreciate what an amazing player he is.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

OMG? Peitrius did foul Lebron. Howard actually fouled Varejo(sp?) on that lob people. Sounds like some wanted Orlando to win. Well, they dd win. Why so much hate for Lebron, or the league marketing him? Would you rather they market Iverson again to tell us he's the answer. Maybe Carmello's street creditials can be put on display. There's are reasons Lebron is marketed.

1) Lebron is a super freakish athlete that could dominate any player in the league one-on-one, and he won the MVP.

2) He is a charasmatic individual. Well spoken, funny, always smiling, handles media(media doesn't handle him), etc. Makes him very marketable unlike most of these guys who can't talk straight in front of a camera.

3) Doesn't scar the NBA's image. Like Stevie "franchise", Allen "the answer", or Starbury". Remember when the NBA marketed those guys. That's what made me sick. It turned off a lot of casual fans when they saw the actual performances by these chumps.

Let's find another marketable guy like Shaq. Howard could be the next ticket. Will we be disgusted with the level of attention he gets? It's coming soon.

What makes a player marketable are essential to the success of of his/her career . Makes me wonder why very talented players like Carmello Anthony/Allen Iverson don't get it. Acting hard to appeal to the wannabe hoodlums we have in this country. Sure that helps jersey sales, but they sell themselves short, In the end like Iverson. Iverson never got it, now everyone can see him for the chump he has always been. Mello is starting to get it, I think. If Carmello does transform, he will be sold out too.

The Kobe and Lebron commercials are stupid. They do, however, appeal to every NBA fan in every city. Somewhere at this very second people are debating the Lebron/Kobe arguement. All seems logical. NBA isn''t stupid. Besides, most of these commercials are created by private sector businesses. In other words, the NBA didn't make the commercials man, and if they did it would be the right move.

If you guys sense any anger. It goes back to the hate people have for Peyton Manning because of his marketing success. I live in South Carolina, Naptown native, and people out here think Peyton's is over-hyped or arrogant because of his stats and media attention, commericials, etc. Like Lebron. It makes me angry because it seems narrow minded from my baised perspective. Basically, They both deserve the attention they get. No matter the rings or not.
    Last edited by Noodle; 05-27-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Mood

The reason why I am routing for the Magic and Nuggets is soley for the interest of the Pacers.

Since we will never have the "best" player in the NBA, I find it encouraging when teams with elite, but not the "best", players on elite teams defeat the "best" players on good teams.

The Pacers have had elite players (Miller, JO for a few seasons) on elite teams (superior supporting cast). But we have yet to have a NBA team with the "best" player. Lets face it we will never have the money or allure (no matter how much China owns us) to get a player that is considered the "best".

In fact if you look at past champions, the "best" player is sitting at home come finals time.

The NBA is changing IMO. Where the supporting class to better players is going to make a difference. Parker, Manu, Duncan, worn down Shaq, Wade, Ray Allen, Pierce, KG, Rip, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Billups are all elite, but it took a combination of them to beat the "best" player on a good team.

The playoffs of 2009 should be an encouragement to Pacer fans. It should breed hope. That as Danny becomes an Elite. And we begin to surround him with an elite team. That we can compete for a championship, despite not having the "best" player.

Will Danny be as dominant as Howard, no. But everyone can agree that Dwight was not the sole reason why the Magic will win this series. Lebron may have won a game, but the Magic will win the series.

***ingnore this post if in fact the Cavs become an elite team.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 05-27-2009 at 07:59 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

In support of MaCo's post: basketball is still a team game.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    You think the league doesn't want a CLE-LA series? I just watched that display of officiating at the end of the CLE-ORL game 4. UNREAL!!!
    Yeah, I counted several bad calls that went against the Cavs. The refs must have gone rogue

I think that if Cleveland makes the finals it shows that the fix is in, and if Cleveland doesn't make the finals it shows us that the NBA knew that we knew that the fix was in, so they unfixed the fix.

Dirty double-crossers!

The way I see it, all the evidence will point to a fix, in support of my theory. Then again, since my idea is not capable of being disproven, it's not really a "theory" at all. Let's just call it a fact.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I wish sometimes the conversation about officiating looked at how the rules could be made easier to enforce instead of which ref cheated to help what star player or major market team.

Post-Donaghy, we must all admit that rotten officiating has happened and could happen again. But we can never prove that any particular call was rotten, and certainly not that it was ordered from above.

I don't think ther can ever be much progress on that front. I just wish the league would find ways to clear up the grey areas (how many steps allowed, charging fouls under the basket, etc.) that lead to so many disputed calls.

The ideal sport, from the point of view of officiating, was gladiator combat. There were no rules, and the guy who didn't die won. So the outcomes of such combats were seldom disputed.

What can basketball do to get nearer to that ideal? It must either eliminate hard-to-enforce rules or else clarify them by reestablishing the limit of what is allowed.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

The only issue I have with the refs this series is on two incidents there were late foul calls when Lebron did not score. But does that mean it is against the Magic? No cause if they did their job correctly they would call the foul as it happened even if it gives Lebron James a three point play.

Both times were fouls, I just hate seeing the ref looking to see if the ball goes in to determine if it is a foul. But that is only two times that I have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The only issue I have with the refs this series is on two incidents there were late foul calls when Lebron did not score. But does that mean it is against the Magic? No cause if they did their job correctly they would call the foul as it happened even if it gives Lebron James a three point play.

Both times were fouls, I just hate seeing the ref looking to see if the ball goes in to determine if it is a foul. But that is only two times that I have seen it.
    Yes, that is a pet peeve, but it's not limited to LeBron. I've seen Pacers get fouled (or commit fouls against relatively non-descript players) and you can literally see the official watching the ball.

(Although, on occasion, I think one official expects the other to call it, then blows the whistle when the other doesn't.)

Mood

I agree that it is most likely not an agenda of the officials, but it is screwy nonetheless.