Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has impressed you in these playoffs?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who has impressed you in these playoffs?

I've watched most of the games so far in this year's playoffs... which, btw, has been one of the best playoffs in recent memory, in my honest opinion...

There's always the big-name stars like Kobe/'Melo/Billups/Howard/LeBron that are performing as expected, but there's been some impressive play by other guys that I thought deserved mention:

Mickael Pietrus (such solid play on both sides of the ball; wish he had been a part of the GS trade, lol)
    Turkoglu (when he's on, Orlando is extremely tough.. needs to address the seldom spurts of wtf plays)
    Rashard Lewis (such versatility, seems to have stepped up his game quite a bit for the playoffs; his shot is so unorthodox, but so effective)
    Courtney Lee (impressive for a rook, seems unfazed by playoff basketball)
    Trevor Ariza (clutch defensive stops, he makes championship-type plays)
    JR Smith (his shooting stroke beyond the arc is freakin gorgeous)

*notice the number of Orlando players on that list* (then realize they also have a guy named Dwight Howard, who's just doing his normal thing)

As a side note: I feel like the two best teams top-to-bottom in the playoffs have been Orlando and Denver... although I'm sure the league would love a LA/Cleveland matchup to showcase Kobe/LeBron.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 05-26-2009 at 12:18 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who has impressed you in these playoffs?

I think the single player I'm most impressed with has been Chris "Birdman" Anderson. For someone who spent two years out of the league on a drug suspension, he has shown a lot of dedication and talent ... and he leaves it all out there on the court every single night.

It's nice to see someone turn their career around from something like that. Generally once they go down the drug road, they never find their way back to playing at an elite level.

I think I also have a warm spot in my heart because he reminds me more than a little of Samurai Scot Pollard.

NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They've both been mentioned, but Courtney Lee and Birdman have both impressed me.

On the other hand, I actually dislike Pietrus more after watching him play. He just comes across extremely arrogant.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Yeah. Birdman. Add Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks, and Battier from Houston. I also second the vote for Pietrus....nice pick-up there. I don't care about the arrogant bit. He plays clean, hard and well. Let him strut.

Also add Glen Davis from Boston. If either Cleveland or L.A. could get that level of performance out of one of their 'supporting cast,' then the media would have the finals they're hoping for.

Gortat and our erstwhile Pacer, Anthony Johnson, have turned in very solid workmanlike performances for Orlando.

Nice little thread idea.
    Last edited by kester99; 05-26-2009 at 01:53 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Easy answer for me. Hands down Lebron James. He is just absolutely ridiculous. I will always remember that 3-pointer he hit after Turkoglu made the would-have-been game winning shot at the other. Simply amazing.
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Courtney Lee.

Chris Andersen is a definite one... but another one that has impressed me is Nene. Turkoglu also impressed me a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Sports Logo

Pietrus has been great. He fits that energy role off the bench perfectly.

I can see where some people might see it as being arrogant but he's just a fun dude. It's not like he's DeShawn Stevenson out there. He just enjoys his job.

ahhhhh this Elie Seckbach guy always makes me smile

on the topic I agree with every player being mentioned so far. special kudos to the Orlando supporting cast who's really made a big difference in important games. hope they keep going like that.

as for Pietrus it's not arrogance, he's just French

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...as for Pietrus it's not arrogance, he's just French
    Good one.

(Nice to hear from you, BKK.)

Wow. No mention of Derrick Rose. I thought he was absolutely stellar in that series against the Celtics. I know he only played one series, but I think he took his game to the "next level" in that series.

I would also add Rondo and Josh Smith to the names that have already been mentioned.

The only player named in this thread who did not impress me is Glenn Davis. The guy is a PF who can't play interior defense or get a rebound to save his life. Yes, his offensive production increased, but that is mostly a result of his increased playing time. With KG out, he logged 36 mpg in the playoffs, as opposed to 21 in the regular season. I simply did not see anything from him in the playoffs that changed my opinion of him. JMO
    Last edited by PostArtestEra; 05-26-2009 at 03:33 AM.
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

Mood

Rose played mighty well...an oversight on my part, perhaps, but he was expected to shine, no?

Big Baby did play more minutes, from 21 minutes to 36 for the playoffs...from 7 pts per game to 15.8, and from 44 percent fg percentage to 49 percent. Fewer than twice as many minutes; more than twice as many points. The performance over that many more minutes compared to the regular season is laudable in itself. I'll stand by my thought that Cleveland or L.A. could benefit from such performance. If Wally or The Machine had similar output increases, how happy would their teams be?

Still, we all focus on different things. I saw him as a stand-out. I'd never thought of him in those terms before.

Josh Smith? I'd put him in the category of 'assume he's going to shine.' Like Lebron, Kobe, etc....I was just focusing on the guys that were a surprise to me to some extent. Rondo? He played his butt off, but I got so mad at him for what I considered dirty play that I couldn't name him as impressing me. He impressed and disappointed at the same time.
    Last edited by kester99; 05-26-2009 at 04:30 AM.

The players that have impressed me the most are on the teams that have impressed me the most... Denver and Orlando.

Courtney Lee has validated why I wanted him with the #17 pick. Gortat is another Magic player. He's anything, but the lumbering 3 pt shooting big Euro.

On Denver it has been Anderson and Nene. Nene really has come into his own this year with the trade of Camby. I have stated in the past I think Anderson would be a great PF for the Pacers, but due to his past the Pacers just can't afford to have him. He's the type PF I would like for the Pacers to be able to find... keeping fingers crossed.

Banned

The Players that have impressed me are Big Baby(of course)The Birdman, Scola, Perkins(defense on Howard), Rondo, Rose, Gordon, Hinrich(good D and good decision making), Lebron, Lewis, Melo.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

In the playoffs you need bigs to come off the bench. Anderson and Gortat were major factors in their teams' wins. Seeing Gortat swat Lebron twice really made my night Saturday night.

Also Pietrus is the James Posey of this years playoffs. I really think Marquis Daniels can be that for a team next year.

Gortat---think Jeff Foster but can finish at the hoop. He would be a great big as
    a back up for the Pacers next year.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Gortat---think Jeff Foster but can finish at the hoop. He would be a great big as
    a back up for the Pacers next year.
    Yeah, I wish he wasn't playing so well - because I'd like to have him on the Pacers. But he is well known now - if he wasn't before

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by _The_Future_ View Post
    Easy answer for me. Hands down Lebron James. He is just absolutely ridiculous. I will always remember that 3-pointer he hit after Turkoglu made the would-have-been game winning shot at the other. Simply amazing.
    Ya, it was a great shot... what most people will forget is how many bad plays he was involved in leading up to that shot. He almost single-handedly lost the game for them down the stretch before he made up for it with a single shot. Which was great shot, I won't deny.

There's playoffs going on?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Besides from the usual Lebron, Kobe, Howard, I have to say DRose, Carmelo, Birdman (big time), Scola, Ariza, and KMart.

Marcin Gortat was a staple of the Pepsi Pro Summer League (which I'm sure most of you watch) these past two off-seasons and at that point he was just trying to make a roster. Congrats sir.

I think I like Trevor Ariza better than my dad.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I think I like Trevor Ariza better than my dad.
    Me too. Mine hasn't been around a lot lately.

-Melo: Always knew he could score, but his willingness to defend Kobe and the tough points in the paint have made me think he's more than just an athletic Big Dog Robinson (prime).
    -Aaron Brooks: Emerged as one of the better young PG's in the league. The kid is lightning quick and is a great shooter.
    -Mickael Pietrus: Great athleticism, and pretty good stroke, a willing defender. Type of 6th man any team could use.
    -Rashard Lewis: A matchup nightmare at the 4 for many teams. Has the big contract, but is finally in the basketball spotlight after being under the radar in Seattle.
    -Hedo Turkoglu: I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was THIS good. One of the top point forwards in the game, and he's clutch.
    -Marcin Gortat: Surprisingly athletic, good defender, rebounds; and he has a decent touch around the rim.
    -Dahntay Jones: Some of the plays he's made have been dirty, but to think this guy spent last season playing for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, makes me raise eye brows at the GM's of the NBA. I mean could the Pacers not use an active and willing defender like this guy? A nice player to have on any bench.
    -JR Smith: Instant Offense. When uses his head, he can be very good.
    -Shane Battier: Mr. Can Do It All. I wish our team could have 10 of him.
    -Birdman: Game changer with his athleticism in the paint.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Me too. Mine hasn't been around a lot lately.
    He is calling you out Jerry Springer style Jay.