View Poll Results: Who does Memphis take at #2?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ricky Rubio

26 61.90%
  • Hasheem Thabeet

15 35.71%
  • Jordan Hill

1 2.38%

Thread: The PD NBA Draft #2 Memphis Grizzlies

Default The PD NBA Draft #2 Memphis Grizzlies

The PD NBA Draft:

1. Blake Griffin -------- Los Angeles Clippers

Who does Memphis take #2?

Here is their current roster, draft history & a few options for the pick.

I will be adding more options as the draft gets past the first couple selections.

Write in votes will be an option for the length of the draft.

Here's the current Memphis roster:

Center
    Marc Gasol
    Darko Milicic
    Chris Mihm
    Hamed Haddadi

Power Forward
    Darrell Arthur
    Hakim Warrick

Small Forward
    Rudy Gay
    Quinton Ross
    Darius Miles

Shooting Guard
    OJ Mayo
    Greg Buckner
    Marko Jaric

Point Guard
    Mike Conley
    Mike Wiliks

Memphis Draft History:

2008: #5 Kevin Love #28 Dont'e Greene
    2007: #4 Mike Conley
    2006: #24 Kyle Lowry

Ricky Rubio

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/ricky...profile-163577

Team: DKV Joventut
    Birth Year: 1990
    Position: PG
    Height: 6’3”
    Weight: 180lbs

Accolades: Spanish National Team, Spanish Under-16 National Team, Spanish Under-18 National Team, First Team All-Spanish League (08).

Scouting Report: Pistol Pete for the YouTube generation.

Strengths: Incredible passer - has excellent court vision and is a creative passer. Very unselfish - prefers to set up teammates rather than score. Disruptive presence on defense - quick feet and hands - led the Spanish League in steals last season; averaged 3.2 swipes per game as a 16-year-old in the Euroleague. Fantastic ball handler - very elusive, tons of moves. Has blow-by speed with the ball - can get by his defender and into the lane. Has three-point range on his jumper. Extremely experienced - has played professionally since he was 15 - extensive international experience with Spain, including last year’s Olympics. Long wingspan - reportedly 6’9”.

Weaknesses: Needs to become a more consistent shooter. Injury and surgery done on shooting wrist caused him to miss a lot of time this past season and subsequently kept him from improving his jumper. Needs to add weight and strength. Can be too flashy at times - tries to force passes into tight coverage. Not a big scorer - only averaged in double figures in scoring once in his pro career. Still very young - especially for a point guard.

Projected 2009 Draft Range: Top three pick.

Consensus: While we compare Rubio to Pistol Pete above, Jason Kidd is probably a better comparison (passing, defense, ball handling, poor shooting). Whether he ever reaches Kidd’s lofty level is unknown, but he should be a very good NBA player regardless.

Hasheem Thabeet

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story...t_profile27955

College: Connecticut
    Class: Junior
    Position: C
    Height: 7’3”
    Weight: 263lbs

Accolades: Big East Defensive Player of the Year (08), Second Team All-Big East (08), Big East All-Rookie Team (07).

Scouting Report: An intimidating giant whose game is developing quickly.

Strengths: Shot blocking – Thabeet changes the game due to his swatting abilities – had a 10-block game in both his freshman and sophomore seasons. Good rebounder. Good body. Huge wingspan – helps keep loose balls alive. Strong finisher. Can run the floor well for his size. Is playing in one of the top college programs in developing NBA talent. Greatly improved player each season in college. Shoots for a very high percentage from the field.

Weaknesses: Very inexperienced – only started playing basketball a few years ago. Still a little clumsy – drops passes, throws balls away. Offensive game is still very raw and underdeveloped. Never was a big scorer in college

Projected 2009 Draft Range: Top 10 pick.

Consensus: Thabeet’s size and skill level makes his potential off the charts. With his game seeming to improve with each passing day, he looks to have a bright future in the NBA, at both ends of the floor.

Jordan Hill

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/jorda...profile-165013

College: Arizona
    Class: Junior
    Position: PF
    Height: 6’10”
    Weight: 235lbs

Accolades: Honorable Mention All-Pac-10 (08), Pac-10 All-Defensive Team (08).

Scouting Report: An athletic, ever-improving power forward.

Strengths: Lots of potential. Game has improved tremendously each year in college. Athletic for a big man. Long wingspan. Mobile. Good at facing the hoop and taking his man off the dribble. Decent face up jumper. Nice jump hooks. Explosive leaper - attacks the rim. Great rebounder - especially on the offensive end. Uses his length and mobility to block and alter shots.

Weaknesses: Will be turning 22-years-old a month after the draft. Still inexperienced - didn’t play organized ball until late in high school. Still a raw player. Needs to bulk up and add strength. Needs to develop more of a power post up game. Has to cut down on his turnovers. Tends to get into foul trouble. Mediocre free throw shooter.

Projected 2009 Draft Range: Top five to top ten pick.

Consensus: Jordan Hill, not considered a big time prospect coming out of high school, is now on the verge of being a NBA lottery pick. If he continues to improve like he has in college, the sky is the limit for him.

Default Re: The PD NBA Draft #2 Memphis Grizzlies

Rubio - platoon him and Conley.

I think they'll end up trading Rubio if he's the pick, b/c he doesn't want to be in Memphis, and he has leverage with the buyout situation

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they'll end up trading Rubio if he's the pick, b/c he doesn't want to be in Memphis, and he has leverage with the buyout situation
    Agree with the trade idea. Not sure that the buyout really presents leverage... it increases next year and would kill his value if he pulls a Vasquez.

I still see him being traded to Sacramento for the #4.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think teams will play their bluff in trades. I think they would then be forced to pick Thabeet, although Rubio is truly the second best player.

You better get Rubio into the right system because if he is running half court basketball he is going to struggle. international players seem to always do so much better in up tempo style. I actually like Jordan Hill more than I do Thabeet and Rubio, but I understand that Memphis needs a PG. maybe Indiana has an opportunity to package Tinsley into a package with Foster their first round pick for the #2 if memphis really does not want it. you guys are more intelligent basketball draft minds then I am so i will let me tell you how silly my idea is.

Rubio, even if he doesn't want to play for you, screw it. You can always cut ties almost immediately with another team for their pick and a good player. You don't not draft him because that minimizes the amount of the return you can get for the pick in the longer run.

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    You better get Rubio into the right system because if he is running half court basketball he is going to struggle. international players seem to always do so much better in up tempo style. I actually like Jordan Hill more than I do Thabeet and Rubio, but I understand that Memphis needs a PG. maybe Indiana has an opportunity to package Tinsley into a package with Foster their first round pick for the #2 if memphis really does not want it. you guys are more intelligent basketball draft minds then I am so i will let me tell you how silly my idea is.
    I wouldn't presume that I am any more intelligent than you, but for what its worth, Rubio would never want to come play in Indiana.

I voted for Thabeet, but I think Memphis will get a nice offer for a trade; Rubio's stock seems to place him at a clear #2.

That said, I think Conley is progressing nicely and The Griz desperately need a defensive upgrade at PF to go alongside of Marc Gasol. Chad Ford reports that the owner likes Thabeet ...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ftWatch-090521

... but a trade with Sacramento (at #4) would ensure that they get either Thabeet or Jordan Hill.

Ricky Rubio will have to work for a starting spot. Mike Conley did beat out Kyle Lowry & Crittendon.

Thabeet is an intriguing choice. Working with Gasol in practice will make both men a lot better. Thabeet is also an instant upgrade in interior defense for whatever team selects him.

Hill??? He is athletic: will be interesting to see what the team does with Warrick.

I feel that Memphis takes Thabeet:

Mood

Warrick is a RFA right? They probably let him walk next year.

Rubio will be the 2nd pick. However, Memphis will trade it away before then.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Thabeet fills in a need for them

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    I think that you are right. I have knocked Thabeet more so than the next guy. But his defense is NBA ready. Rebounding? Maybe not, but Marc Gasol is good. The issue and concern that I have is if Gasol has enough lateral quickness to guard PFs in this league? I would say that Thabeet is a better fit with the Thunder (but Harden would be the best fit). Thabeet is not a Horford selection at 3. I don't think Thabeet will be a Calvin Booth, but I don't think he will be a Dieke either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Rubio will be the 2nd pick. However, Memphis will trade it away before then.
    x2.

Second line.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I remember reading on ESPN.com that Rubio wants to play for either the Kings or Wizards only.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    I remember reading on ESPN.com that Rubio wants to play for either the Kings or Wizards only.
    What in the world. Why?
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    What in the world. Why?
    What I recall reading was Sacramento or LA. I thought it was just a comment on the four top picks.

Does anyone have a link to the comments attributed to Rubio?

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...d_memphis_okc/

Ricky Rubio has some leverage in influencing which team selects him due to a necessary buyout from his team in Spain. His American agent Dan Fegan tried to shape where Yi Jianlian was selected in 2007, but was unsuccessful due to Milwaukee taking a hard line and no real alternative in his foreign contract.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so," said a source that spoke to DraftExpress.com. "Fegan wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City.

“He’ll pull out if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing,” continued the source. “Or he can stay in and force the Grizzlies to call his bluff—would they really take him knowing that he may never come over? That’s one way to get him to fall to three.”
    Looks like it's from Givony at Draft Express.

Mood

I really don't blame Rubio. If he needs endorsements to pay off the buyout, he will get more endorsements in California. The thing that is stupid is making these claims public. OKC will have a harder time trading him with that hanging over his head. He will only lose more money being drafted later.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    So you move Marc Gasol over to PF and make him chase more athletic, quicker guys all game long?

Marc is a lot less mobile than Pau and is a true Center. I think Hill actually fills the bigger need and won't be surprised if Memphis, who pulled off the OJ Mayo move last year, addresses a need with a trade back for Hill via Rubio.