Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft Thread

Default The "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft Thread

Call it what you will, it's what you all signed up for. Here's the draft order with the PD drafter listed next to it.

1. Clippers - MillerTime
    2. Grizzlies - Jose Slaughter
    3. Thunder - BRushwithdeath
    4. Kings - Major Cold
    5. Wizards - Mourning
    6. Timberwolves - Mellifluous
    7. Warriors - Hibbert Laugh
    8. Knicks - TroyMurphy3
    9. Raptors - dcpacersfan
    10. Bucks - CableKC
    11. Nets - PostArtestEra
    12. Bobcats - DrFife
    13. Pacers - Duke Dynamite
    14. Suns - avoidingtheclowns
    15. Pistons - Wetbob
    16. Bulls - Count55
    17. 76ers - LoneGranger33
    18. Timberwolves - Mellifluous
    19. Hawks - Rommie
    20. Jazz - pacergod2
    21. Hornets - iPacer
    22. Mavericks - binarysolo
    23. Kings - Major Cold
    24. Blazers - Pwee31
    25. Thunder - Brushwithdeath
    26. Bulls - Count55
    27. Grizzlies - Jose Slaughter
    28. Timberwolves - Mellifluous
    29. Lakers - Peskoe97
    30. Cavaliers - UncleReg

We've got about a month until the draft, so we'll give each person 24 hours to make their pick.

As of now, the Clippers are on the clock. That's you MillerTime.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft Thread

#1 - LA Clippers - Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma
    #2 - Memphis Grizzlies - Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
    #3 - Oklahoma City Thunder - James Harden, SG, AZ St.
    #4 - Sacramento Kings - Brandon Jennings, PG, Roma
    #5 - Washington Wizards - Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona
    #6 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Hasheem Thabeet, C, Connecticut
    #7 - Golden State Warriors - Stephen Curry, PG, Davidson
    #8 - New York Knicks - Demar Derozan, SG, USC
    #9 - Toronto Raptors - Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis
    #10 - Milwaukee Bucks - Jrue Holiday, PG, Minnesota
    #11 - New Jersey Nets - Earl Clark, F, Louisville
    #12 - Charlotte Bobcats - Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke
    #13 - Indiana Pacers - Tywon Lawson, PG, North Carolina
    #14 - Phoenix Suns - Terrence Williams, G/F, Louisville
    #15 - Detroit Pistons - James Johnson, F, Wake Forest
    #16 - Chicago Bulls - DeJuan Blair, PF, Pittsburgh
    #17 - Philadelphia 76ers - Eric Maynor, PG, Virginia Commonwealth
    #18 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Jonny Flynn, PG, Syracuse
    #19 - Atlanta Hawks - Jeff Teague, G, Wake Forest
    #20 - Utah Jazz - Sam Young, G/F, Pittsburgh
    #21 - New Orleans Hornets - BJ Mullens, C, Ohio St.
    #22 - Dallas Mavericks - Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga
    #23 - Sacramento Kings - Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
    #24 - Portland Trailblazers - Chase Budinger, G/F, Arizona
    #25 - Oklahoma City Thunder - Patrick Mills, PG, St. Mary's
    #26 - Chicago Bulls - Wayne Ellington, SG, North Carolina
    #27 - Memphis Grizzlies - Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech
    #28 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Danny Green, G/F, North Carolina
    #29 - Los Angeles Lakers - Omri Cassipi, F, Europe
    #30 - Cleveland Cavaliers - Jeff Pendergraph, F, Arizona St.
    Last edited by OakMoses; 06-03-2009 at 10:23 AM.

- Salman Rushdie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft Thread

Yeah, I'm goin' to hell for this one.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

MillerTime has already made the obvious pick in the other thread. Jose PM'd me and made his pick, saying he'll have no PC access for a bit.

So far no surprises.

#1 - Blake Griffin
    #2 - Ricky Rubio

Now that we're getting out of the obvious picks, it would be nice to get a little insight into the why of the picks instead of just the who.

Brushwithdeath is now on the clock for the Thunder.

- Salman Rushdie

I'd advise avoidingtheclowns to sell the pick for cash considerations.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I were a Suns fan I'd be furious that we sold the rights to Rondo and Rudy Fernandez.

- Salman Rushdie

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    If I were a Suns fan I'd be furious that we sold the rights to Rondo and Rudy Fernandez.
    Yeah, though this would probably be a year to sell or trade down. Honestly, my thoughts about the Suns are very similar to my thoughts about what the Pacers should do this time around.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heard Rubio's contract has an $8 mil buyout and that the NBA team that selects him can only pay for $0.5 mil and thus Rubio has to pay for the buyout via his own money. His contract was written this knowing the NBA cap and salary restrictions for draft picks. Anyone heard this too?

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Heard Rubio's contract has an $8 mil buyout and that the NBA team that selects him can only pay for $0.5 mil and thus Rubio has to pay for the buyout via his own money. His contract was written this knowing the NBA cap and salary restrictions for draft picks. Anyone heard this too?
    Heres something from HoopsWorld

Tuesday's NBA Draft Lottery didn't answer any questions about Spanish sensation Ricky Rubio's future. In fact, it may have added to them.

With the Los Angeles Clippers expected to use the first pick on Oklahoma's Blake Griffin (according head coach and general manger Mike Dunleavy), there is some real concern that the 18-year-old's buyout from Spain's DKV Joventut could push him out of the second spot.

Complicating matters is the fact that the Memphis Grizzlies, owners of that pick, drafted a point guard two years ago (Mike Conley).

"We're at a spot with the second pick and we are going to try and determine who the second best player is," said Memphis Coach Lionel Hollins after the lottery.

But what if the Grizzlies determine that Rubio is in fact the draft's second best player? Is his $8 million or so buyout going to stop a team from drafting him?

"I have no idea," responded Hollins. "I haven't talked to anybody about that."

One reason team representatives are trying to stay clear of the Rubio talk is because of the complicated nature of his buyout.

Rubio's signature is allegedly not on his current contract. As a 16-year-old, Rubio's parents signed his deal with DKV Joventut in his place. That distinction lends favor to Rubio and agent Dan Fegan.

However, DKV Joventut does have Rubio's signature on last season's addendum to the contract which gave the mop-topped point guard a pay raise. The team is trying to leverage that signature into either 6 million euros this season or as much as 10 million euros next season.

That's right. Rubio's buyout actually goes up next season, which means if the situation doesn't get resolved this year, it probably won't be resolved next season either. There is a remote possibility that Rubio doesn't arrive in the NBA until the 2011-2012 season.

According to one NBA agent "teams could definitely back off… The buyout itself is sticky."

MORE BY ALEX RASKIN

NBA Breakout Stars 2009: Alex Raskin takes a look at six NBA players who could take the next step...
    HOOPSWORLD's Week in Review: Joel Brigham asks if Ricky Rubio is ready for the NBA, Yannis Koutroupis...
    Magic Look to Make Boston History: Boston has never lost a series after leading 3-2. in 32 opportunities, the ...
    View Alex Raskin Archive
    Rubio and Fegan still fearlessly entered the draft this season and seem confident that a deal can be worked out. NBA rules stipulate that teams can only contribute $500,000 to a foreign player's buyout, which means Rubio will be paying the rest out of pocket. A lucrative marketing deal could soften the blow for the would-be rookie, but shoe deals have lulled with the economy.

Regardless, sources close to Rubio have told HOOPSWORLD that he will gain his release and remain in the draft class past the June 15 deadline for all withdrawals.

If Memphis does decide to pass on Rubio, the Oklahoma City Thunder could be a possibility at No. 3.

"I've only watched him a few times," said Thunder Head Coach Scott Brooks. "I know that he's a very smart player who knows how to play the game, makes his teammates better but there are a lot of good players in the draft. We're happy today (because) we're going to get a good young player who is going to make us better."

When asked about Rubio's potential buyout, Thunder G.M. Sam Presti was as non-committal as everyone else at the NBA Entertainment Studios, Tuesday.

"All those things are so relative," he said. "I don't have all the necessary information, and that's something that, leading up to the draft, should become more clear."

One thing that is clear though is that the Thunder have the ability to make room for Rubio. Despite drafting UCLA's Russell Westbrook last year, Brooks can envision starting two point guards right next to each other.

"I played (Westbrook) at both spots (this season)," said Brooks. "He has improved every month. He understands that he has the ability to play both spots. He thinks like a point guard."

If the Thunder do decide to pass on Rubio as well, it is unlikely he would slip past the owners of the fourth pick, Sacramento.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12698
    Alex Raskin
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Does the buyout of another league's contract count against the salary cap for that year?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Does the buyout of another league's contract count against the salary cap for that year?
    No...Rubio will just count as his NBA contract.

Rubio has to buyout the contract, not the NBA team. The team can give a small amount (less than $500k), and but the rest has to come out of Rubio's pocket. (This is why it's tough for top Euros to make the leap...the rookie contracts often are not necessarily less than what they can earn in Europe, but less than the buyout it would take to get out of their contracts.)

I don't know how the $500k counts, but it's not a material amount.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rubio can get endorsements to pay off the buyout. I read that he was going to do this but I can't find a link.

Sanhez, for the Jets, is reporting to receive 10m in endorsements primarily because of his Hispanic background.

It should be no problem for Rubio to get the money.

He is going to need a agent that will help him in finding revenue to cover what he is going to lose. If he really wants to be in the NBA and get that huge pay check on down the road, he is going to have to sacrifice a few years Euro pay scale.

Imagine if Rudy Fernadez waited to jump a few more years. He would be in a 3-6 million dollar contract during his prime, and thus never getting the $8-$12M he might get if he continues to get better.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

If I'm Sam Presti I try to trade both my first round picks to the Clippers who clearly need multiple players for the chance at Blake Griffin. But I'm not. So for me it comes down to two needs. A legit scorer on the wing to pair with a soon to be superstar in Kevin Durant or a big to take some pressure off of Nenad Krstic and Nick Collison. Krstic and Collison. That's how bad they are inside. Seriously. So for pick 3 it comes down to James Harden or Hasheem Thabeet in my opinion. I believe a big is a larger need for the Thunder but I just don't think Thabeet is that good. Hopefully, I can find a big with our 25th pick. Thus my pick is...

James Harden, SG from Arizona State.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Is everyone sold on Jason Thompson being a starter on a playoff team? I know they need a PG, but is Evans or Jennings that guy? I really think that they can get a quality PG later in the draft at 23 (Patrick Mills?). And if I were to select a front court player it sure would have to be Jordan Hill, but I am not sure if he is a starting PF on a playoff team two years from now either.

So with the 4th selection the Kings select Brandon Jennings.

His quickness should help him in the West (Parker, Nash, Billiups) but I think he comes off the bench early in the year. And to utilize his skill set the Kings need another shooter. But I can see Jennings flourishing in the pick and roll with Hawes.

BRush and Major Cold - Thanks for the explanations. They're exactly what I was looking for.

Mourning and the Washington Wizards are now on the clock.

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If I'm Sam Presti I try to trade both my first round picks to the Clippers who clearly need multiple players for the chance at Blake Griffin. But I'm not. So for me it comes down to two needs. A legit scorer on the wing to pair with a soon to be superstar in Kevin Durant or a big to take some pressure off of Nenad Krstic and Nick Collison. Krstic and Collison. That's how bad they are inside. Seriously. So for pick 3 it comes down to James Harden or Hasheem Thabeet in my opinion. I believe a big is a larger need for the Thunder but I just don't think Thabeet is that good. Hopefully, I can find a big with our 25th pick. Thus my pick is...

James Harden, SG from Arizona State.
    This is probably where I'd go with this pick. I keep thinking that Presti is too smart to waste this pick on Thabeet. He'd be a good fit for the Thunder, but I think you'd have to pass up some far more talented players to take him #3. I have read, however, that the Thunder have been doing a lot of homework on Thabeet.

- Salman Rushdie

And by the way, you guys just took the two guys I was hoping were there with my Minnesota pick at #6.

- Salman Rushdie

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

The Washington Wizards select Jordan Hill who fits their team and team needs a lot better IMO compared to Thabeet. Granted Thabeet would give them more inside toughness and defence, but I think the Wizards might be willing to part with one of their existing big-3 if they get a player who could replace one of them with this draftpick if he pans out, making a trade of particularly Jamison a lot more possible hopefully for future picks, an expiring and who knows what.

Hill still has enough upside, can rebound, score and athleticism, etc. He's my Wizards pick.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Well, now I'm on the clock for Minnesota and it's obvious that you guys are trying to screw me.

The only thing I'm really happy with on my team is my Jefferson/Love dual-PF tandem. Conventional wisdom says that Thabeet would be a good defensive force to pair with either guy and give me an excellent 3 big rotation. I'm really not a Thabeet fan, however. I'm very interested in Evans, Holiday, and Derozan - all of whom have the potential to become far better players than Thabeet will ever be, and fill bigger holes on my roster.

I'm definitely entertaining offers from anyone who wants to trade up for Thabeet, but in the end I'm forced to pull the trigger.

The Timberwolves will take Hasheem Thabeet.

- Salman Rushdie

Hibbert Laugh and the Warriors are now on the clock.

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

I enjoy the evaluations. And melli, I agree that I would not pick Thabeet. But the Wolves really want to get Jefferson in his natural position, PF.

We should all draft according to what the team would do. And I would never expect the THunder drafting Harden over Thabeet. But BRush certaintly convinced me and made me think twice. I think because of Swift, Petro, and Sene they would pass on Thabeet.

HibbertLaugh PM'd me his pick.

With the 7th pick of the draft, the Golden State Warriors select Stephen Curry.

TroyMurphy3 - you're on the clock for the Knicks and your Golden Boy and biggest LeBron lure has just been taken.

- Salman Rushdie

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Just for future reference I believe the Grizzlies will actually pick Thabeet leaving Rubio for the Zombie Sonics.

Rubio
    Westbrook
    Durant
    Green
    Krstic

Playoffs.

Though my lineup isn't half bad either I guess.

Westbrook
    Harden
    Durant
    Green
    Krstic

And for the record: Gerald Henderson is the best 2 in the draft. The Thunder would be better off with him than with Harden. Just too early.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Playoffs.
    Atlanta Hawks?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: