Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One more reason to love Jeff foster

Default One more reason to love Jeff foster

ESPN.com
    By: Marc Stein
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...Chatter-090518

Quote Originally Posted by Snipit of Marc Stein
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foster, though, is the closest thing there is these days in Indy to a Mr. Pacer since Reggie Miller's retirement. Even two good assets could not convince the Pacers to part with Foster, who received a two-year contract extension worth $12.7 million that kicks in starting next season.
    I'm pretty sure Foster would have been reluctant to relocate to the Rocky Mountains, judging by what he told us back in November: "I love this franchise too much and this organization too much to have wanted to leave. I want to see this thing get back to where it was when I got here. ... It's a great franchise and we will rise again. It's just a matter of how long it takes."
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 05-19-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Brought into compliance for off site content.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: One more reason to love Jeff foster

I'm sorry Kleiza and the Charlotte pick for Jeff Foster is a trade Larry Bird should have jumped all over. Having 2 lottery picks plus Kleiza would have been nice additions to next seasons roster.

The Pacers in my opinion errored in giving Foster the 2 year 12.7 mil extention . Sorry Jeff's best days are behind him , to have gotten a lottery pick to me seems too good to be true , but to some I'm sure Foster is far more valuable than he is too me.

Lets see, ya trade Foster & don't get back a 5.

Nesterovic leaves this summer.

That pretty much leaves Hibbert as your center... oh I forgot Murphy.

Great plan!

I would have liked the draft pick too but just how thin to you want those power positions?

The only reason Foster got the extra two years is because Bird knew Rasho was not coming back & that Hibbert isn't ready yet.

There's still two years to go on the three year plan. That just so happens to be how much longer Foster will be a Pacer.

I like Kleiza and he fits Obies offense, plus a lotto pick, no brainer. Foster is a Pacer to me, but you can't be stupid about, imo. You could get a big body from the NBDL, this season wasn't what you were concerned with anyway. Anytime you can get that kinda of return for a back up PF on the downside, you do it. Only thing I can think of is if Kleiza has a bad contract then maybe you don't.

Draft another bigman, heck, draft two of them.

Then again, I wouldnt trade Foster for a pick in this years draft. But it still is a trade worth looking at. I think we could have found another team willing to take Kleiza for a big man (to make up for Foster's absence), and we still could have been able to get the Bobcats pick. We could have moved Kleiza to Dallas for Bass and kept the pick form Bobcats

Overall, I'm sure Bird looked at all these options, hes not an idiot. But its important to keep in mind that this years draft is weak and the Bobcats pick isnt worth much
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I forgot to click on a link....is there one.

Mood

Need to see a link and an author or this will have to be removed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Then again, I wouldnt trade Foster for a pick in this years draft. But it still is a trade worth looking at. I think we could have found another team willing to take Kleiza for a big man (to make up for Foster's absence), and we still could have been able to get the Bobcats pick. We could have moved Kleiza to Dallas for Bass and kept the pick form Bobcats

Overall, I'm sure Bird looked at all these options, hes not an idiot. But its important to keep in mind that this years draft is weak and the Bobcats pick isnt worth much

Have you ever taken a look at Kleiza physically? He's put together like a rock. He can play both forward spots.

If the Bobcats pick isn't worth much, that doesn't say much for the Pacers pick 1 spot behind Charlotte, now does it? So why are you and others so excited about the Pacers pick at #13, but "the Bobcats pick isn't worth much" at #12.

If this supposed trade is true, Bird made another poor decision. This is EXACTLY the type moves good GM's make, and don't pass up. A nice young player and a 1st for Foster is more than Foster is worth. Really, this trade makes no sense b/c their salaries don't even come close to matching, let alone getting a 1st too. Foster value isn't that great at this stage of his game, but if the offer was made Bird should have jumped all over it.

Bird gave Foster an extension because he is a great mentor for Roy and sets a standard of professionalism to other young players on the roster that this organization has lacked in recent years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm with Jose on this one. Jeff's tenure is something to be proud of, but losing him would make us very shallow on the big category.

Some of you guys need to realize that it isn't just a matter of us presenting an offer to Rasho. He doesn't want to be back...in the NBA. He wants to go home and finish his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Bird gave Foster an extension because he is a great mentor for Roy and sets a standard of professionalism to other young players on the roster that this organization has lacked in recent years.

Yep. It's gotta be this.

Speed's and Justion Tyme's argument is strong enough to be obvious, so if Bird didn't do it he must know better than we do what Foster's value as an elder stateman is.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no good reason, other than sentimentality, to say that keeping Jeff Foster over Linas Kleiza and another lottery pick is good for the Pacers. Simply none.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

The pick wasn't this season's pick, though it still would have been an attractive asset.

The Bobcats will keep the pick for next month's draft, since it was 2009-protected through No. 14, but Charlotte's protection drops to 1-through-12 in the 2010 draft, 1-through-10 in 2011, 1-through 8 in 2012, 1-through-3 in 2013 and is fully unprotected in 2014.
    ESPN

It's worth noting that Kleiza is a free agent at the end of the season as well, so he could have been used for cap relief. I love Jeff as much as the next guy and can understand the reasons for keeping him, but this was a pretty good deal if it was indeed on the table.

I hate it when we get to the point of a player's career that his roster space has to be defended. We went through this with Reggie too and it got heated. The front office has shown me enough to believe if Foster was extended there is a damn good reason for it and I doubt sentimentality had anything to do with it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    There is no good reason, other than sentimentality, to say that keeping Jeff Foster over Linas Kleiza and another lottery pick is good for the Pacers. Simply none.
    Do you know for sure that was the offer?

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I hate it when we get to the point of a player's career that his roster space has to be defended. We went through this with Reggie too and it got heated. The front office has shown me enough to believe if Foster was extended there is a damn good reason for it and I doubt sentimentality had anything to do with it.

Perhaps "sentimentality" is not quite the right word.

BrushwithDeath seems to view the NBA as a poker game, which can always be won by the player with the best hand (poker experts, please don't muddle my point with objections about bluffing). To the extent that talent always prevails, he's right. But to the extent that loyalty, professionalism, etc. contribute to winning, Brush misses something.

Foster is quoted in the OP saying he "loves the Pacers franchise and organization." What's that worth? Especially if the young guys get infected with the same love and devotion because of Foster's veteran presence?

I personally don't know the answer, but I think Larry Bird does.
    Last edited by Putnam; 05-19-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

This thread title could very easily read "One more reason to hate Jeff Foster," depending on your view of the proposed trade. I, for one, would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. A lottery pick and expiring contract for a player on the down-slope of his career? No-brainer, IMO. I understand the need for an elder statesman, but Jeff won't be here forever, and we really overvalue his contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Do you know for sure that was the offer?
    No I do not. But that is what the article says.

-Lance Stephenson

Not pulling the trigger on this move was clearly shortsighted for the Pacers. Did having Jeff Foster over Linas Kleiza allow us to win a few more games after the deadline? I would vehemently argue no, but even if I thought he won us 10 games after the deadline the trigger should have been pulled. The Pacers should have been in a full on rebuilding youth movement last year. This trade would have been not just a step, but a hop, skip, and a jump in the right direction. Because it would have so obviously been good for the Pacers, I assume this deal was never actually offered.

As for comparing Reggie's roster spot to Jeff's... well there is no comparison.

-Lance Stephenson

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Lets see, ya trade Foster & don't get back a 5.

Nesterovic leaves this summer.

That pretty much leaves Hibbert as your center... oh I forgot Murphy.

Great plan!

I would have liked the draft pick too but just how thin to you want those power positions?

The only reason Foster got the extra two years is because Bird knew Rasho was not coming back & that Hibbert isn't ready yet.

There's still two years to go on the three year plan. That just so happens to be how much longer Foster will be a Pacer.
    That is of course assuming that Jeff has ever really been a true center to begin with.

I agree with the overall point, but I do think we overpaid slightly in that deal.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Perhaps it was felt that rewarding Foster's professionalism and presence with job security and a nice payday was worth it for the signal it sent (and sends) to other Pacers (and potential Pacers).

Walsh clearly did these type of things, to a fault even, so maybe the idea of it goes further up the food chain to Simon?

Is the risk vs reward worth it? I guess that is the question to be answered. I do find it odd that the Colts can cut ties with Marvin Harrison (after the career he's had) for economic reasons (dollars vs production) but the Pacers feel Foster deserved a new contract even during a period where the team has needs on the court as well as off the court (in the form of salary relief) and this didn't (directly) address either.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I don't think comparing Harrison to Foster makes sense. For one, Harrison would be getting a lot more salary relative to the value than Foster, who is just above the MLE. For another, the locker room effect of one player in the NFL is diluted by the sheer number of players on a team. Third, I think the value of a glue guy is vastly underrated until the locker room needs one, which is when everyone starts screaming at TPTB about how bad it is no one in the locker room provides a solid veteran presence.

I don't think slightly above MLE $ is overrating Foster.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Loyalty? It only goes so far, and 12 mil was too far. Let's see if Foster is worth that 12 mil over the next 2 years. 12 mil for a mentor for Hibbert? Please, you can get a big man coach and a mentor for Hibbert at a fraction of the cost. A big man coach is far more important to Hibbert's development than being mentored by Foster. Give Ewing a third of that to come develop/mentor Hibbert like he has Howard!

Again, I don't see this trade as ever being offered, and I have yet to see a LINK proving it was! Is there a link??

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Loyalty? It only goes so far, and 12 mil was too far. Let's see if Foster is worth that 12 mil over the next 2 years. 12 mil for a mentor for Hibbert? Please, you can get a big man coach and a mentor for Hibbert at a fraction of the cost. A big man coach is far more important to Hibbert's development than being mentored by Foster. Give Ewing a third of that to come develop/mentor Hibbert like he has Howard!

Again, I don't see this trade as ever being offered, and I have yet to see a LINK proving it was! Is there a link??
    Loyalty doesn't go far enough in my book these days.

And if Pacers history is any indiction they will never, never, never, never, never, never hire a big man coach.

Last edited by ABADays; 05-19-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.