View Poll Results: Well Do you miss Walton

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the eptiome of announcing greatness.

    13 33.33%
  • No, he is the worst color commentator in the history of color commentating

    11 28.21%
  • This poll is a disgrace to all the polls who stood before it. This poll is the worst idea in the history of polls, in the history of America, in the entire History of Western Civilaztion

    2 5.13%
  • Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. (duke dynamite)

    7 17.95%
  • Why? (Brad8888)

    1 2.56%
  • About as much as a case of swine flu. (BillS)

    4 10.26%
  • Only because Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy are the alternative (grace)

    1 2.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Do you miss Bill Walton?

  1. #1
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Do you miss Bill Walton?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,163159

    By Kelly Dywer
    yahoosports.com

    So, yes, it's a tired, well-worn refrain. Get well soon, Bill.
    (But, seriously, we mean it this time. Get back behind that mic. The game, as great as it is, isn't the same without you.)
    Some crazy Bill Walton quotes

    "You talk about Shaq as a ballerina, what a pirouette from lace>Yaolace>!"
    -- Bill Walton, as Ming twists in the lane. 2.11.2004


    "You look at Vladimir Radmanovic, this guy is cut from stone. As if Michelangelo was reading and a lightening bolt flashed before him."
    -- Bill Walton, 2.8.2004


    "Stroke it, big man!"
    --Bill Walton, referring to Arvydas Sabonis as he nails a jumper. 4.13.2003



    "He had everything, he had... a doll."
    -- Bill Walton, on Penny Hardaways fall from prominence 1.21.2004



    "He even flew in his hairdresser, Celeste, so not only does Jermaine ONeal look pretty, hes looking to play pretty tonight."
    -- Bill Walton, after Jermaine ONeal hits a jumper 1.23.2004






  2. #2
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    no.

  3. #3
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    HELL NO.

  4. #4
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,648

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Not one bit. The game is better without him and his hyperbolic jib.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  5. #5
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    I never understood the hatred for for him. Maybe too many took him WAY too seriously. I found him pretty entertaining in a "doofus" sort of way more then anything else. My absolute favorite Walton moments came from when he did the color for the Clippers telecast back in the mid 90's. Him and Ralph Lawler were comedy gold because the Clippers were so bad, so cheap, and I don't think Walton cared what he said on the air about the Clippers back then.

    Do I miss him? Not really. Honestly, I didn't even notice his absence this year. I didn't get that, somethings missing vibe for the playoffs. I think his schtick is played out and it was probably time he was put to pasture.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  6. #6
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    NO, I can put up with a lot of stuff, if they also teach me a little about what is going on. I use Hubie Brown as an example - he is my all time favorite commedator in any sport, but as he has gotten older, he has slipped a bit, maybe used certain phrases over and over again, talks too much - however, that doesn't bother me at all because he still teaches me about what is going on. I learn a little bit everytime I listen to him. Walton doesn't teach me anything - so his act get old.

    Edit - let me say though, I enjoyed Bill on the Clippers broadcast - but not the national NBA games.

  7. #7
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Bill Walton is decent at color. I enjoyed him when he criticized his son Luke. He was calling him by his last name "Walton" what is he thinking with that pass. He also scores points for using the phrase Balderdash. He does have "man crushes" on certain star players.

  8. #8
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,273

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    No.....I don't miss Walton's "clinging to the jock of Kobe and Lebron while talking down to every other Team in the League" commentary during NBA Games.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,780

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    No!

    As a matter of fact, I think someone should put Walton and Dick Vitale on an island by themselves so they could just talk to each other and not do any further auditory damage to the rest of the world.

    On another point, how in the world did Vitale get chosen as the Grand Marshall for the 500 parade? Next year it will probably be Billy Mays! Just awful.

  10. #10
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Not at all.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  11. #11
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,273

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NO, I can put up with a lot of stuff, if they also teach me a little about what is going on. I use Hubie Brown as an example - he is my all time favorite commedator in any sport, but as he has gotten older, he has slipped a bit, maybe used certain phrases over and over again, talks too much - however, that doesn't bother me at all because he still teaches me about what is going on. I learn a little bit everytime I listen to him. Walton doesn't teach me anything - so his act get old..
    +1 for what you said about Hubie Brown ( the guy knows his basketball and actually adds something substantive whenever he talks about what Players should and should not be doing )

    +1 for what you said about Walton
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. #12
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,779

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Listening to Walton isn't the most educational experience... that said, I always chuckle at the things he says. I don't know if I'm laughing with him or at him... probly a little of both.

    At least he's colorful in his commentary. Some of those guys might teach you something but they suck in their delivery.

    Besides, I work my *** off all day long, when I sit down to watch basketball, it's to shut the brain off and relax, I don't necessarily care how informative a guy is. I actually find more value in absurd commentary with a zany delivery than some boring guy monotonously rehashing x's and o's....

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  14. #13
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    You people seem to have misplaced your "sense of humor" meters.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  16. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    A little bit.

  17. #15
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Besides, I work my *** off all day long, when I sit down to watch basketball, it's to shut the brain off and relax, I don't necessarily care how informative a guy is. I actually find more value in absurd commentary with a zany delivery than some boring guy monotonously rehashing x's and o's....
    It's probably been years since I've learned something from basketball announcers. They say the same things every game. Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to the Mr. Obvious show from Bob and Tom.

    (Okay, the LA Houston game gave me a good "I can't believe he just said that" moment when Mark said that Brooks should learn not to pass the ball to RonRon in the current situation, because it was as good as a turnover.)


    I used to HATE listening to Walton. Then after listening to him throughout the internation tournament two years ago(the one before the Olympics) he grew on me. I started being able to laugh at him, instead of being annoyed at what he was saying.

    Yes, I do miss him. But he's not great by any stretch of the word. Personally, I don't understand why anyone thinks any basketball commentator is good, because they all say the same things over and over game after game. Hubie hasn't said anything new in 5years. It's not informative to someone that watches games consistantly. Some random fan that just tunes in now and again might have some knowledge dropped on them, but he's boring to me.

    UB, I would honestly like you to keep a log of what you learn when you listen to Hubie next year. I think you'll be surprised when you go a long streak without writing anything down. I imagine you look back at the games he calls with a positive memory, because you like him, not at what he actually said. As much as you've been around the NBA, I'm amazed that you say he teaches you something every time.

  18. #16

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you miss Bill Walton?
    Like a boil on the crack of my ***.

  19. #17
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Incredibly.

    Bill Walton is a gem of a human being and the only thing that exceeds my sadness about him not being around during the NBA Playoffs is my sadness about his impaired health.

    Get well, Big Fella.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayRedd For This Useful Post:


  21. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UB, I would honestly like you to keep a log of what you learn when you listen to Hubie next year. I think you'll be surprised when you go a long streak without writing anything down. I imagine you look back at the games he calls with a positive memory, because you like him, not at what he actually said. As much as you've been around the NBA, I'm amazed that you say he teaches you something every time.
    Maybe "teach" isn't the correct term. I used it because I figured it would make my point most effectively. He sees things that I don't see - he explains what is going on in a way that I just don't see it like he does. he sees things as a coach - I've never been a coach - I watch as a fan - so I don't need another fan trying tell me what is going on. I want an expert who can articulate it. Bottom line when I see/hear Hubie doing a game, I get excited because I know he makes watching the game for me more enjoyable.

    And while Reggie might say so and so makes a nice pass to the big guy for a layup - Hubie will explain why it was a good pass - how the set play produced the pass, what the defense needs to do to cut that off. I see Reggie Miller on one end of the spectrum and Hubie on the other - Reggie is probably a more fun guy to hang out with, but on TV he says nothing worthwhile.

    Since86 - I could probably make a list of 20-25 things that I have truly learned from Hubie - most I learned from him probably 10-15 years ago -
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-18-2009 at 01:07 PM.

  22. #19
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    I didn't know he was sick.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  24. #20
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably been years since I've learned something from basketball announcers. They say the same things every game.
    "[Insert best player's name] needs to step it up in the second half if they want to come back."

    That's an information gold mine every time I hear it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  25. #21
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Incredibly.

    Bill Walton is a gem of a human being and the only thing that exceeds my sadness about him not being around during the NBA Playoffs is my sadness about his impaired health.

    Get well, Big Fella.


    No Bill Walton you have it all!!!!

  26. #22
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I don't understand why anyone thinks any basketball commentator is good, because they all say the same things over and over game after game. Hubie hasn't said anything new in 5years. It's not informative to someone that watches games consistantly. Some random fan that just tunes in now and again might have some knowledge dropped on them, but he's boring to me.
    Walton says outrageous things in order to not be that "boring" commentator you desscribe. I always thought the Tom Hammons, Snapper Jones and Walton combo worked well because when Bill would say something outrageous and astute, they would work with it. And when he said something outrageous and idiotic, they would toss it right back at him.

    Regardless, he refused to be another "copycat coach commentator". Everyone can pick one that they like - Van Gundy, Frattello, Hubie, Dr. Jack, Collins, etc., but the rest as just immitations.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  28. #23
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Incredibly.

    Bill Walton is a gem of a human being and the only thing that exceeds my sadness about him not being around during the NBA Playoffs is my sadness about his impaired health.

    Get well, Big Fella.
    I was not aware of any health issues, and I hope he can fully recover.

    However, I have a low bar when it comes to announcers. I only ask that they not irritate the living **** out of me. Sadly, Bill Walton was never able to clear that hurdle.

  29. #24

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    I used to totally despise him and then I came to realize that 90% of what he said was sarcasm. At that point he started to be funny for me-- maybe I was dense at first but it took me a while to "get it".

    So when Walton was doing a Pacers game and in garbage time, years ago, Bruno Sundov got a meaningless dunk and Walton starts screaming about it being one of the greatest dunks in the history of the franchise, I actually laughed my arse off.

    He has a super-dry humor and loves the farsical exaggeration. If you know/appreciate/repect that up front, he can be amusing. He never taught me anything, like Hubie, but he gave me a laugh.



    Now I love Reggie as a player and Pacer great, but on TV he is flat-out awful. Sorry!!

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  31. #25
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you miss Bill Walton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't know he was sick.

Similar Threads

  1. Lakers' Walton to miss 2 weeks with foot injury [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
  2. Bill Simmons Mailbag returns from summer break
    By juadam09 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 02:07 AM
  4. Polian interview with Football Outsiders
    By tdubb03 in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •