Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Links on possible Pacer move

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Links on possible Pacer move

Even though this is probably just a rumor, it still doesn't sit well with me. The timing for this to happen is just downright scary.

One thing that seems incorrect is the notion that the Simons are trying to leverage the C.I.B. Didn't the head of the C.I.B. come out and say that they would cover the $15M short fall if they had the money? The state approved the way to collect the money... The jam up was in the Indianapolis City-County Council not wanting to increase the hotel tax and Jim Irsay not willing to renegotiate his deal to come off of $5M per year. (A deal is a deal... Yeah, whatever... Until business decides that the deal isn't working for them!)

I know that we all want the Pacers to stay here, but is the rest of Indianapolis ready to let the Pacers go? Every time you read a Star article, the comments are pretty angry towards the franchise, still. I could only stomach reading about 3 of the comments at the end of the Indiana Barrister article. Maybe it's true that Indianapolis can only support one pro franchise, as the 2005 study determined. When that study was done, I'd never guess that we'd be thinking that this franchise could be the odd man out. Never would have guessed it!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 05-14-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

The Pacers aren't moving now or anytime in the future. This is nothing but a pure scare tactic. Besides, there are a few other NBA teams who would likely move before the Pacers would:

-- Sacramento (they need a new arena)
    -- Milwaukee (playing in an older arena)
    -- Memphis (lack of support)

The guy who posted this lives in Seattle, has no connections to Indy and is basing this purely off his own theory and rumors. Plus, he's a disgruntled Sonics fan who is still upset over his hometown team leaving. All it takes is someone like this to come out and post a rumor and then someone else runs with it and then everyone gets up in arms.

Yes, the Pacers will get a deal done with the City and the State Legislature. Remember when the Colts were set to leave for LA and Irsay's jet was spotted in LA? Or when the Rockets were going to head to Louisville?

How many NBA teams have left and moved within the last 15 years? Charlotte, Vancouver and Seattle. In Charlotte and Seattle there were issues over an aging arena and there was a lack of support in Vancouver.

As far as Jack Trudeau, who are his sources? The police who arrested him for buying alcohol for his teenage daughter and friends 2 years ago?

This is really sad.

Could this be the reason why Larry Bird doesn't want to sign a contract? He wants to work under a handshake agreement with the Simons so he don't get stuck working in Vancouver.

I still would like to think that if the Simons wanted to sell the team Bird would be wanting to buy them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers aren't moving now or anytime in the future. This is nothing but a pure scare tactic. Besides, there are a few other NBA teams who would likely move before the Pacers would:

-- Sacramento (they need a new arena)
    -- Milwaukee (playing in an older arena)
    -- Memphis (lack of support)

The guy who posted this lives in Seattle, has no connections to Indy and is basing this purely off his own theory and rumors. Plus, he's a disgruntled Sonics fan who is still upset over his hometown team leaving. All it takes is someone like this to come out and post a rumor and then someone else runs with it and then everyone gets up in arms.

Yes, the Pacers will get a deal done with the City and the State Legislature. Remember when the Colts were set to leave for LA and Irsay's jet was spotted in LA? Or when the Rockets were going to head to Louisville?

How many NBA teams have left and moved within the last 15 years? Charlotte, Vancouver and Seattle. In Charlotte and Seattle there were issues over an aging arena and there was a lack of support in Vancouver.

As far as Jack Trudeau, who are his sources? The police who arrested him for buying alcohol for his teenage daughter and friends 2 years ago?
    This made me feel better. Thanks for slapping us in the face to return to our senses.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I still would like to think that if the Simons wanted to sell the team Bird would be wanting to buy them.
    Larry has some cash, but I wouldn't think he has $200+ million it would take to buy the team.

And another telethon probably wouldn't raise that much.

The Simons are business men. If they are indeed losing the money amounts that have been rumored, they can't be happy about it. It wouldn't shock me if they sold - disappoint - certainly, but not shock.

We're gradually getting more attendance in Indiana. We're not like Seattle who always struggled to get fans in attendance and played in an old digusting arena and in a city that the people weren't willing to do anything about it. That was bigger and more of a popular discussion. Indianapolis and Indiana is where no one wants to see professional basketball go.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    Indianapolis and Indiana is where no one wants to see professional basketball go.
    I do not think that means what you thought it means.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

We're gradually getting more attendance in Indiana. We're not like Seattle who always struggled to get fans in attendance and played in an old digusting arena and in a city that the people weren't willing to do anything about it. That was bigger and more of a popular discussion. Indianapolis and Indiana is where no one wants to see professional basketball go.
    You might want to check attendance figures for the Sonics. My understanding was that even when they were playing poorly, games were well attended. The Sonics left Seattle because Clay Bennett is a billionaire who wanted Pro basketball in his home town, so he bought the Sonics, told the city they had to build him a ridiculously expensive new stadium far away from the city, when the current one had just been remodeled at significant cost, and then naturally when the city balked, he moved them back where he wanted them all along. All of this was endorsed by David Stern, by the way.

I think that Conseco being such a nice stadium, along with the rich basketball heritage will make it harder to move the Pacers. However, that alone wouldn't be enough. Fortunately, the only State that hasn't been hit hard by the economy is Texas, and they already have three teams. I feel like the Pacers are going nowhere, simply due to the grass not being greener anywhere else, and other teams being in worse shape than the Pacers in terms of unsuccessfully trying to move.

What kills me about these "Pacers are moving" rumors is reading posts from so-called fans who continue to call the team a bunch of thugs. I really don't see people who continuously make such comments as fans - true or bandwagoners. They're just disgruntled individuals who obviously don't follow the team closely enough. Otherwise, they'd know that the Pacers who took to the floor last season was far better than any Pacers team since '03-04 in terms of how they presented themselves on and off the court. I can honestly say I hadn't seen a young Pacers team work so hard since the early 90's teams that gave us so many darn good memories. So, to those who continue to label them "thugs", I'd rather you just kept your mouths shut and stayed away because it's "fans" like you who really don't give a ***t about the team anyway.

As to the rumor itself, I'd say it's just that - a rumor. I believe there was an article on either ESPN or NBA.com that debunked this very issue. I'll look for it and post it here if I find it. Regardless, I doubt they'll move. Attendance was improving near season's end, and the team was finally getting some decent press. I think if the Simons and CIB can somehow work things out in short order, i.e., by the end of the year, and the fans do start coming back things will be fine. It's about 1-part winning, 1-part good, hard work and character. In the end, the later is all the fans really care about - a team that works hard every game and does the city and/or state it represents proud. And I can say I was proud of my Pacers last year, moreso than I'd been in a few years.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 05-14-2009 at 04:58 PM.

OK. It's time for this:

It would be absolutely, totally and in all other ways inconceivable for the Pacers to move to Vancouver.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    What does it mean then?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    OK. It's time for this:

It would be absolutely, totally and in all other ways inconceivable for the Pacers to move to Vancouver.

+1
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Seattle attendance last 4 years: 16.5k (04-05), 16.2k, 15.9k, 13.4k (07-08) down each of the last four years. Each of the last 3 years, better attendance than Pacers.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    What kills me about these "Pacers are moving" rumors is reading posts from so-called fans who continue to call the team a bunch of thugs. I really don't see people who continuously make such comments as fans - true or bandwagoners. They're just disgruntled individuals who obviously don't follow the team closely enough. Otherwise, they'd know that the Pacers who took to the floor last season was far better than any Pacers team since '03-04 in terms of how they presented themselves on and off the court. I can honestly say I hadn't seen a young Pacers team work so hard since the early 90's teams that gave us so many darn good memories. So, to those who continue to label them "thugs", I'd rather you just kept your mouths shut and stayed away because it's "fans" like you who really don't give a ***t about the team anyway.

As to the rumor itself, I'd say it's just that - a rumor. I believe there was an article on either ESPN or NBA.com that debunked this very issue. I'll look for it and post it here if I find it. Regardless, I doubt they'll move. Attendance was improving near season's end, and the team was finally getting some decent press. I think if the Simons and CIB can somehow work things out in short order, i.e., by the end of the year, and the fans do start coming back things will be fine. It's about 1-part winning, 1-part good, hard work and character. In the end, the later is all the fans really care about - a team that works hard every game and does the city and/or state it represents proud. And I can say I was proud of my Pacers last year, moreso than I'd been in a few years.
    The people that still call this team thugs are idiots who have tuned out the Pacers and just assume they are the same. This is ignorance at its very best, people.

That said, we're getting better in all aspects, I doubt the team moves now.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    The people that still call this team thugs are idiots who have tuned out the Pacers and just assume they are the same. This is ignorance at its very best, people.

That said, we're getting better in all aspects, I doubt the team moves now.
    People need to see who's on the team now. I'm sure they'll all be amazed at all the new players added and all the old thugs taken out.

People need to see who's on the team now. I'm sure they'll all be amazed at all the new players added and all the old thugs taken out.
    Or... they won't care and continue to refer to the team as a bunch of thugs. After actually reading thru the comments on the Indiana Barrister site, it's pretty clear that the thug comments come from those that were never fans to begin with.

I just hope the word "Vancouver" doesn't cloud everyones vision that there is a real problem. As I mentioned before, I don't think there is an issue with the CIB taking on the operation of the Fieldhouse. It's an issue of how the CIB is going to pay for it.

I have a feeling that in the end, it's going to come down to the Marion County tax payers making a hard decision. It's pretty clear that no one at the statehouse was going to attempt a shot at a regional fix for the Pacers, as they did for the Colts. For those that live outside of Marion County...You may just be along for the ride, but have no influence where the car is going.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    For those that live outside of Marion County...You may just be along for the ride, but have no influence where the car is going.
    Raise the ticket tax.

Heck, if the Pacers came to me today and said "the ticket tax went up 10%, would you contribute 10% of your season ticket cost as an additional fee", I'd say yes. It isn't a break the bank amount.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Indianapolis and Indiana is where no one wants to see professional basketball go.
    What does it mean then?
    I was being a Princess Bride smartass.

I suspect you meant "... where no one wants to see professional basketball go away."

Reread your actual quote and think about what it actually says.
    BillS

Raise the ticket tax.

Heck, if the Pacers came to me today and said "the ticket tax went up 10%, would you contribute 10% of your season ticket cost as an additional fee", I'd say yes. It isn't a break the bank amount.
    That's the problem.... The last plan had the Ticket Tax raised from 6% to 10% and they still need the City-County council's endorsement to raise the hotel tax and increase in the Marion Co. food and beverage tax. In the end, 10% Ticket tax is already going to happen. Alone, that is not enough.

One more kick in the pants... If the city-county council does go back and approves the plan. The CIB is still $10M ($5M for the Colts/$5M for the Pacers) short a year because the Colts won't renegotiate their "sweetheart" deal.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 05-14-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    That's the problem.... The last plan had the Ticket Tax raised from 6% to 10% and they still need the City-County council's endorsement to raise the hotel tax and increase in the Marion Co. food and beverage tax. In the end, 10% Ticket tax is already going to happen. Alone, that is not enough.

One more kick in the pants... If the city-county council does go back and approves the plan. The CIB is still $10M ($5M for the Colts/$5M for the Pacers) short a year because the Colts won't renegotiate their "sweetheart" deal.
    I would just like to say that I have been a near-lifelong fan of the Colts, I've been with them through everything (although the Pacers always came first), yet after the actions of Irsay with the new stadium (meeting with LA officials, basically holding the team hostage) and the way they've handled this situation, along with my lack of interest in the game of football, I'm done with them. I love Indy and I support everything about my city, my favorite place in the world, but their actions have made me completely turn away.

Mood

Well, if I were the Colts, I would try to work something out, just out of social obligation. I really think in order for the Colts to thrive, they need to do anything they can to help out the city (and *cough*, the Pacers).

Heck, what is it, another 25-30 years they have under contract with the city? It's fast approaching, and I'm sure Indiana by then could use a new cattle barn.

I'm gonna sound like a horrible fan saying this, but..

Get it over with. Move them. Now.

It's going to happen anyway, and I just with they would get it over with. It will sting a lot less right now because it wouldn't be dragging on like I think it will.

We'll get a new team anyway, I mean come on this is the basketball state.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    I'm gonna sound like a horrible fan saying this, but..

Get it over with. Move them. Now.

It's going to happen anyway, and I just with they would get it over with. It will sting a lot less right now because it wouldn't be dragging on like I think it will.

We'll get a new team anyway, I mean come on this is the basketball state.
    There is no hard evidence that a move is likely to happen. I see what you are saying but unless there are frim facts to say that a move is
    imminent then I'm not gonna say that this is gonna happen.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Theyre not moving guys, especially not to Vancouver. There are other cities in the US that would have a better chance of surviving over Vancouver. Do you guys honestly think that the NBA will let a city like Vancouver get another team after failing so quickly with the Grizz?

The future of the Pacers (financially) looks good and no one knows that more than Herb and Mel Simon. I seriously think, in the 2011 - 2012 season, Pacers ill be serious contenders for the Eastern Conference Finals. Theres no point in selling a business that is only going up. Simons' are business men, they know all this.

I dont repute the fact that the Cancuck's owner might have called Simon and asked if he wanted to sell, but Im sure Simon said NO. If Simons wanted to sell, they should just sell it to Bird and his group
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood