Thread: Relive the best (and worst) of Pacers' Playoffs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Relive the best (and worst) of Pacers' Playoffs

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/playoff_memories.html

Nice little video feature here from Pacers.com

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Relive the best and worst of Pacers' Playoffs

I am bitter, but to me the LJ 4 point play in 1999 ushered in the era of touchy feely NBA basketball where someone would call a foul on you for laying a finger on another player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe was a killer to us back then and was a killer to us this season when we were in LA.

The two most exciting moments were the Smits happens shot in 1995 and Reggie's game winner against the Bulls in 1998 - both were on Memorial day and both were game 4 of the ECF.

Of course no one will ever forget Reggie's 25 fourth quarter points in game 5 at MSG bringing the pacers back from a 12 point deficit entering the 4th quarter and this was the performance that introduced Reggie and the Pacers to a national audience and national following. Also of course Reggie's 8 pts at the end of game 1 eastern conference semi.

Most satisfying moments were: 1) beating the Magic in 1994 for our first ever NBA playoff series win. 2) beating the Knicks in 2000 to make it to the NBA Finals

Most disappointing series - once again there were two. 1) losing to the Magic in the ECF in 1995. if the pacers had finished the Knicks in 5 games as they should have the pacers beat the magic for sure - took the pacers two games to recover from beating the Knicks in the earlier series. 2) 1999 loss to the Knicks in the ECF - Everything went wrong

I think still to this day the most electrifying moment for me was Byron Scott hitting the last minute three against the Magic in 1994. I think it was game one, but it was the beginning of an era.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, I am anticipating the amount of discussion this thread gets. I'm looking forward to you old timers telling your stories. Of course, I remember most of this, but I watched it all on TV. Well, maybe all but 1991. I was only 5.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 04-22-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Reggie's Knick killing game would have to be one of my favorite Pacers moments. The Reggie and Spike Lee rival.

Notice Spike Lee courtside (of course) with fear.
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-22-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am bitter, but to me the LJ 4 point play in 1999 ushered in the era of touchy feely NBA basketball where someone would call a foul on you for laying a finger on another player.
    I don't know. I don't think the 04 Pacers get to 61 wins and the ECF without some rough fouling along the way. I think that was the last year of really physical basketball, however.

Mood

Best: 1970 ABA championship as "The Rajah" Roger Brown averaged 28.5 ppg in that series in which Pacers won first ABA title. He took over the series with 53, 39 and 45 in last three games.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I don't know. I don't think the 04 Pacers get to 61 wins and the ECF without some rough fouling along the way. I think that was the last year of really physical basketball, however.
    That crossed my mind when I was making my last post. 2004 was kind of an abberation. Basketball was still more of a physical game to me in 2000-2003, I remember a playoff series or two with New Jersey that got pretty physical during that time period, and I remember the year O'Brien coached the Celtics to the ECF they were in a couple of series that got pretty physical, too. However, things were on a whole different level of physicality in 2004 at least in regard to the Pacers, right up there with the mid 1990's.

So I guess I see 1994 (when I first really began to understand basketball at more than just a really basic level) to 1999 as completely physical, 2000-2003 as physicality but declining as so, 2004 as a quick resurgence to the past, and 2005-present as ticky tack, in some cases unwatchable.

Of course it is hard to express this because I really base it on perception.

Some of the rule changes thsat limited physical play went into effect after the 1994 season and again after the 2004 season. But the stuff put in after the 2004 season was much more restrictive and has really become part of the game. The stuff after the 1994 season was pretty much all talk with only some impact. There were also a couple of other rule changes put in to limit physical play - but I forget exactly when. I think zone was put into effect after the '01 or '02 season

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Best: 1970 ABA championship as "The Rajah" Roger Brown averaged 28.5 ppg in that series in which Pacers won first ABA title. He took over the series with 53, 39 and 45 in last three games.
    Did you see the games? Man I hate the fact that I never got to be a part of that.

Can you tell me your memory's of those games?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Some of the rule changes thsat limited physical play went into effect after the 1994 season and again after the 2004 season. But the stuff put in after the 2004 season was much more restrictive and has really become part of the game. The stuff after the 1994 season was pretty much all talk with only some impact. There were also a couple of other rule changes put in to limit physical play - but I forget exactly when. I think zone was put into effect after the '01 or '02 season
    Very informative post Buck, thanks.

I guess whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with these rules depends on how they believe basketball should be played.

I believe basketball is supposed to be a strong mix of physicality and finesse. I think David Stern sees it as much more of a finesse game than I do. That's fine, but I fundamentally disagree with it and can't watch basketball like I used to because of it.

That d@mn Ewing dunk was a goaltend. I said it then and I still say it now.

BTW, how they can have that video clip up and not have the Byron Scott video is just beyond me. That N.J. game we lost and that three by Reggie should not have even counted.

I guess whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with these rules depends on how they believe basketball should be played.

I believe basketball is supposed to be a strong mix of physicality and finesse. I think David Stern sees it as much more of a finesse game than I do. That's fine, but I fundamentally disagree with it and can't watch basketball like I used to because of it.
    To Sterns credit he was up close and personal to a fight between Derek Harper and Ron Harper (no relation) soon after that hand checking became a foul.

I guess I like it both ways. The only thing I require is that both teams play really hard (intensity) and that the games are competitive. I used to love the Knicks and the Heat - but a lot of people hated those series. The media had gotten to the point where they without even watching any of the game - they would make judgments on how good a game was based upon how many points were scored. 85-82 was a ugly game 105-102 was a great exciting game. So I think the NBA had to do something to change the perception if nothing else and I think in that regard it has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    To Sterns credit he was up close and personal to a fight between Derek Harper and Ron Harper (no relation) soon after that hand checking became a foul.
    The look on Stern's face was priceless - I'll never forget it.

I like that they have cut out the fighting (it used to be that fighting to some degree was common in the playoffs - not every game of course, but a few times in most competitive series) But the penalties for leaving the bench and sure 1 game for throwing a punch has curtailed it to almost nothing. But I miss the physical play.

Peck, yes that was goaltending - I screamed it at the time and I still can't believe it wasn't called

I fear I'm becoming what I swore I never would - getting older and talking about the good old days
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-22-2009 at 05:45 PM.

another great moment was the chuck person / larry bird rivalry in 91 - speaking of 91 duke. remember when larry went out of the game in game 5 in boston after he hit his head on the parkay, and the pacers keep the game competitive until... larry returns in the second half. chuck shot the three from the suburbs... 30+ feet out, but we lost unfortunately. those were the days of greg dreiling, micheal williams, kenny williams, detlef, baby smits, dale's rookie year, vern, tank thompson...
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

ChicagoJ is going to wonder why Anthony Johnson's 41 points against New Jersey isn't here.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    I think still to this day the most electrifying moment for me was Byron Scott hitting the last minute three against the Magic in 1994. I think it was game one, but it was the beginning of an era.
    Agreed. Without the leadership of Byron Scott in our mix and that shot, I feel that the success that followed would have taken longer to develop, and may never have reached the heights it eventually did.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ding, Dong, the witch is dead.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Not Ron Harper. Jo Jo White. Was Ron Harper still with the Clippers? The whole controversy was that the Bulls put in a scrub to mess with Derek Harper. I loved Derek Harper, but he had that Stephen Jackson, "I'm just looking for a fight" defect that could get him every time.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

ChicagoJ is going to wonder why Anthony Johnson's 41 points against New Jersey isn't here.

Oh, now you've done it.

Score:
    Putnam 0.1
    Jay 0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    another great moment was the chuck person / larry bird rivalry in 91 - speaking of 91 duke. remember when larry went out of the game in game 5 in boston after he hit his head on the parkay, and the pacers keep the game competitive until... larry returns in the second half. chuck shot the three from the suburbs... 30+ feet out, but we lost unfortunately. those were the days of greg dreiling, micheal williams, kenny williams, detlef, baby smits, dale's rookie year, vern, tank thompson...

Edit:

Revised score:
    Kaufman +1.0
    Putnam +0.1
    Jay 0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peck, yes that was goaltending - I screamed it at the time and I still can't believe it wasn't called
    In the Garden?? I can believe it wasn't called. Along with the over-the-back foul to get there.

A friend of mine that is a Knicks fan summed it up perfectly: "No way is that Patrick's sixth foul, the can't foul him out of the game for that. Now maybe it was really his tenth or eleventh foul of the game, but that's not the point. It definitely wasn't his sixth foul."