Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Press Conference

Default Pacers Press Conference

JMV mentioned something about a press conference. Anyone know when and where? Any speculation as to what this is about?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers Press Conference

Odd.

What is there to announce at this time of year - aren't player negotiations closed until a certain date? (I'm not an NBA salary/cap/rules guy, so any of you experts might want to clue me in here.)

News this time of year is usually related to the top. Look for something to do with Coaching, management, ownership, the city.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After hearing Jack Trudeau on JMV on Friday, I hope the presser isn't to explain why they are moving to another city....

JMV just said it was rumored to be about the Pacers playing the Nuggets overseas in the preseason. Wouldn't a note on the homepage have been sufficient to announce that? Is an offseason presser really necessary for that? In any event, he said the press conference is set for tomorrow.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Unless the NBA is trying to publisize the oversea market to the max. A press conference is more attractive than an update on a web page.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 05-12-2009 at 07:29 AM.

I was excited until you mentioned the overseas preseason game. That's probably what it is. *yawn*

ITS BECAUSE GRANGER IS MIP

Quote Originally Posted by LOCBLB613 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    link?

Quote Originally Posted by LOCBLB613 View Post
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009.../90511054/1088

Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger will be announced as the NBA's Most Improved Player during a Tuesday morning press conference at Conseco Fieldhouse, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.Granger finished fifth in the league in scoring at 25.8 points a game this past season.

Granger will be the third Pacer to win the award, joining Jalen Rose (2000) and Jermaine O'Neal (2002).

- Mike Wells

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Odd.

What is there to announce at this time of year - aren't player negotiations closed until a certain date? (I'm not an NBA salary/cap/rules guy, so any of you experts might want to clue me in here.)

News this time of year is usually related to the top. Look for something to do with Coaching, management, ownership, the city.
    Or there's that other thing.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Banned

they said in 1070 the fan that is a really important conference, I think is related to Tinsley(I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Granger will be the third Pacer to win the award, joining Jalen Rose (2000) and Jermaine O'Neal (2002).
    Three Pacers in a decade won the MIP? Seems like that would be difficult for one franchise to pull off.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    they said in 1070 the fan that is a really important conference, I think is related to Tinsley(I hope)
    They really used the word "important"?

When the press conference?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    They really used the word "important"?
    I think the word was more than important I just can't remember, the conference is at 11am tomorrow

woman without a team

For years people have been saying that to build the fan base the Pacers need to play preseason games in places like Lafayette and Fort Wayne. So now there's a rumor the Pacers are going to play a game overseas?

Anyone know where to find a live link to this bad boy once it kicks off?

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    For years people have been saying that to build the fan base the Pacers need to play preseason games in places like Lafayette and Fort Wayne. So now there's a rumor the Pacers are going to play a game overseas?

I'm sure this is an NBA move, not a Pacer-specific move.

Word is, that this conference is not necessarily about Granger becoming MIP:

http://www.1070thefan.com/sterling/b...tryID=10031791

There are reports that the major announcement in the grand entrance of Conseco Fieldhouse today at 11:30a will be to announce Danny Granger is winner of the NBA's Most Improved Player Award.

For perspective, the last announcement made in the Grand Entrance was that Larry Bird was coming back to the Pacers to help rebuild. They have hired coaches, announced that Herb Simon was going to run things, introduced new players, and answered questions about big trades. All of those events occured in the Not Bob Kravitz Media Room.

Why would the Pacers make such a big deal out of Danny Granger winning an award? Why would the Pacers tease the media with a press release about a major announcement, only to deliver the good news that Granger has won a well-earned award, but one that certainly does not mark the turning of the franchise's tide.

We have been told that the announcement has nothing to do with Granger's award. "You have some bad information," was the response from Pacers media relations chief David Benner when we requested Granger for an interview with Dan Dakich following the presser.

So you have Mike Wells reporting on indystar.com that the event will be to announce the Granger award. And, David Benner is telling The Fan "U have bad info". No matter what the announcement, someone is going to be pissed. This is that kind of inside media crapola that no one outside the media give a damn about.

That's why there are blogs. It gives people with some extra time something to write about without any expectation that someone will read it or care.

Whatever happens, you will hear it live on the Dan Dakich Show on 1070 The Fan.
    Likely that there's some other news besides Granger's award.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Too bad I am out of the office and in FT Wayne. This is why I love this forum. Someone will post the sound byte if it is big news. Thanks in advance.

Maybe they are announcing MIP and that the Pacers are playing overseas in the preseason. It is the pacers turn - other teams have been doing it for years

Mood

Could it be something about Tinsley? Surely not, they wouldn't want to bring down Danny's big day with tinsley news.

Maybe just hyping it up since we have GOOD news for once in a long time.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe they are doing a grandiose press event to symbolize the transition of the franchise. They will announce a Tinsley trade first as if it is the big news the press conference was set for. Then after announcing the trade to the media, they dim the lights and have a huge light show where everyone turns their attention to the BATMOBILE coming in to AC/DC's Hell's Bells. And then Granger jumps out in a custom Batman/Pacers costume to accept his MIP Award. I think that would get Granger a small part in the next Batman movie. That would be killer.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Press Conference is scheduled for 11:30 this morning, and will be streamed live on Pacers.com.

They have a photo of the setup on the main page. This looks big. Very big.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Maybe they are doing a grandiose press event to symbolize the transition of the franchise. They will announce a Tinsley trade first as if it is the big news the press conference was set for. Then after announcing the trade to the media, they dim the lights and have a huge light show where everyone turns their attention to the BATMOBILE coming in to AC/DC's Hell's Bells. And then Granger jumps out in a custom Batman/Pacers costume to accept his MIP Award. I think that would get Granger a small part in the next Batman movie. That would be killer.
    Man, I love the way you day-dream! Put BRush in a Robin outfit, portray Dick Harter as Alfred and dress up Stacy Paetz (or better yet, Stephanie Soviar ) as a leather-bound Catwoman, and you'd bring the house down!