Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Did Murphy....?

  1. #1

    Default Did Murphy....?

    Did Murphy receive any votes for MIP? I would find it a crying shame if he did not even receive one vote, but I would totally expect it with the lack of publicity and media outlets covering the Pacers this year. Without exposure it would be very hard to achieve any votes.

  2. #2
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    He had some.

  3. #3
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  4. #4
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Even now I still don't understand why Kevin Durant finished 3rd in the voting.

  5. #5
    Member Pacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Whiteland, IN
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    He did get some props from Danny in the presser.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    All,

    Murphy did not receive any mention, which does not surprise me. Keep in mind that he had some fairly prolific seasons in Oakland (37 double doubles in a season, for example), so he regressed, at least statistically, before this past season. Historically, such a career progression does not lead to votes for this award.

    I was startled to see that Granger was left off of 23 ballots all together and Harris was left off of 24 ballots.

    MJB

  7. #7

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Murphy receive any votes for MIP? I would find it a crying shame if he did not even receive one vote, but I would totally expect it with the lack of publicity and media outlets covering the Pacers this year. Without exposure it would be very hard to achieve any votes.
    Start the tears because Troy didn't receive one vote for MIPOY, and that's really a shame...or is it?

    When you look at Murphy's stats, the numbers do jump out at you:

    73 starts
    +6 in MPG
    + .20% in FG%
    + .052 in 3P%

    Troy really filled up his stat sheet on the year, but here's where the problem lay with him not receiving MIP consideration: Minutes per game (MPG) -vs- Points per game (PPG)

    It took Troy an additional 6 minutes to score on avg +2 ppg over his avg from last year. Compare that to Granger's stats which are virtually identical to what he achieved last year EXCEPT he increased his scoring avg by over 6 ppg while playing the same amount of minutes (36) but he did it in 14 fewer games. That's remarkable!!



    Nonetheless, Troy Murphy should be very proud of his accomplishments this year; ranked:
    • #1 in defensive rebounds per game (9.8)
    • #2 in rebounds per game (11.8)
    • #2 in defensive rebounds (715)
    • #3 in 3P FG % (.45)
    • #4 in double-doubles (49, which is also a new Pacers franchise record)
    Troy Murphy has nothing to be ashamed of. He accomplished alot last year, far more than I expected of him.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 05-12-2009 at 06:05 PM.

  8. #8
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    As Mr. Boyle noted, Murph didn't so much improve as get things turned around. Overall, this was probably his best year, but it wasn't a quantum leap above some of the years he had in Golden State.

    That, more than anything else, is why he received no consideration.

    It also didn't help that, besides Danny and Devin Harris, there were a number of other stellar candidates like Kevin Durant, Rajon Rondo, Nene, and Paul Millsap.

    Kudos to Troy for a fantastic year, but he didn't really deserve consideration for this particular award.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    I understand where you are coming from MB, I guess my only objection to your point is that last year Dun finished 6th when he should have finished much much higher than that. All I am saying is that back to back years the Pacers are probably one of the least exposed teams in media circles and I think it had a direct effect on both Dun finishing so far down on the charts last year and Murph not even getting one vote.

  10. #10
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All,

    Murphy did not receive any mention, which does not surprise me. Keep in mind that he had some fairly prolific seasons in Oakland (37 double doubles in a season, for example), so he regressed, at least statistically, before this past season. Historically, such a career progression does not lead to votes for this award.

    I was startled to see that Granger was left off of 23 ballots all together and Harris was left off of 24 ballots.

    MJB
    That suggests to me that there was a lot of independent thought going on.

    That's a good thing in my opinion.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  11. #11

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    28,

    In regards to Dunleavy, I think you may have a point. But as good a year as Troy had, I don't see any rationale for anyone to throw an MIP vote his way.

    MJB

  12. #12

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    28,

    In regards to Dunleavy, I think you may have a point. But as good a year as Troy had, I don't see any rationale for anyone to throw an MIP vote his way.

    MJB
    Well I do agree with your points, I think also it would be hard if nearly impossible to have two candidates on the same team make good candidates for MIP. A lot of people on this board thought DG would have a good case last year for the award if Dun did not have the year he had. When I saw Murphy play and since i had league pass I was able to watch him every game he looked so much better to me than previous years. It also seemed like his numbers improved but I can understand that happeneing with his minutes increasing as well.

  13. #13
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,946

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    28,

    In regards to Dunleavy, I think you may have a point. But as good a year as Troy had, I don't see any rationale for anyone to throw an MIP vote his way.

    MJB
    I concur. Hey, the media can't be that short sighted.... Granger did win the award over some pretty tough large market competition. My only concern is whoever gave Glen Davis a first place vote... Come on, now!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  14. #14

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I concur. Hey, the media can't be that short sighted.... Granger did win the award over some pretty tough large market competition. My only concern is whoever gave Glen Davis a first place vote... Come on, now!
    It was the kids father in Orlando.

  15. #15
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,786

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My only concern is whoever gave Glen Davis a first place vote... Come on, now!
    Whoever it was has a Tommy Point coming his/her way.

  16. #16
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,190
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Jeff Green=1 total vote
    Danny Granger=364 total votes

  17. #17
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Jeff Green > Granger.

    Not sure how, but that's what I've heard.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  18. #18
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    I see Troy winning it sometime in his future if he continues to get better and mostly and it's no secret at the defensive end. If he became a tight defender, a good rebounder as he is, and a great shooter as he is he would make one great player that could get us into the playoffs and if his PPG were to shoot up in one season he would be a candidate for MIP.

  19. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Did Murphy....?

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he became a tight defender
    I'll take the under on that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Similar Threads

  1. Murphy Doubtful for Portland Game
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
  2. Nice article on Troy Murphy @ RealGM
    By Kemo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
  3. Coach 'em up, season 2: Troy Murphy
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
  4. Murphy, Baston, and our bigs
    By pianoman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
  5. Get rid of Troy Murphy
    By Aw Heck in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •