Thread: Year in review: Jeff Foster

Default Year in review: Jeff Foster

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/foster_page_0304.html

2003-04 in Review:
    Jeff Foster

Height: 6-11 Weight: 242 Age: 27 (1/16/77)

Regular Season: Was the only Pacers' player to see action in every game this season and he did so for the second time in the last three seasons ...

Logged a career-high 1,961 minutes (23.9 mpg) and saw 30+ minutes 15 times ...

Among the top offensive rebounders in the NBA this season, he collected a career-high and team-leading 248 offensive boards ...

Ranked tied for eighth in total offensive boards and in offensive rebounds per game ... Averaged 6.1 offensive rebounds per 48 minutes, best in the NBA ... Overall, averaged a career-high 7.4 rpg and tied for 28th in the NBA, second on the team ...

Registered eight double-doubles ... Had a career-high 19 points with 12 rebounds vs. the Sonics at Conseco Fieldhouse, 11/14 ...

For the first time in his career, led the team in scoring in a game ... In the last 15 games, averaged 9.0 rpg and had 10+ rebounds eight times, including a run of three in a row from 3/30 to 4/2. ...

On offense, had best season ever, scoring 6.1 ppg on 54.4 percent FGS and 66.9 percent FTS. ...

Scored in double figures in seven of the last 15 games, including a career-high five games in a row from 3/19 to 3/26. In those five games, he averaged 13.2 ppg and shot 23-44 FGS (.523) ...

Over the last 23 games of the season, he shot 39-54 FTS (.722) and ended the season having hit nine straight free throws ...

With enough field goals made to qualify for the league leaders, he would have ranked third best in the NBA with a team-high 54.4 percent. ...

One of only two Pacers' players with more steals than turnovers in 2003-04, he was fourth on the team with a career-high 71 steals. ...

Came off the bench in the first two games of the season, but then started all but one game from then on ...

In his 79 starts, the team was 60-19 (.759). ... His 79 starts was second most on the team to Reggie Miller, who started all 80 of his appearances.

Playoffs: Started 13 of 16 postseason games, averaging 19.2 minutes, 3.6 points and 6.6 rebounds ...

Struggled against Detroit in the conference finals, averaging 0.7 points and 4.2 rebounds in six games ... Did not start the final three games ...

Had the best game of his career (regular season or playoffs) in Game 5 against Miami in the second round, registering career-bests of 20 points and 16 rebounds, shooting 9-10 FGS and 2-2 FTS. ... That was the first double-double of his postseason career. ... Totaled 13 points in the other five games of the series ...

Against Boston in the first round, averaged 5.3 ppg and 7.5 rpg, while shooting 10-15 FGS for a team-best 66.7 percent

Plus-Minus: Ranked fifth during the regular season at +5.7 per game, but dropped to 10th during the playoffs at -0.5, including a -2.8 mark during the conference finals

Contract Status: Signed through the 2008-09 season

Analysis: The best season of his career didn't end as he would've liked, as Foster was replaced in the starting lineup for the final three games of the conference finals, but that did little to tarnish the year. With the departure of All-Star Brad Miller, the Pacers needed someone to fill the void in the middle and Foster beat out veteran Scot Pollard for the starting job early and held onto it with his usual combination of hustle and aggression.

The rare combination of a big man who also is an energy player, Foster is a tenacious rebounder and potentially an excellent defender. Needs to develop one reliable offensive move to take his overall game up a notch.

Default Re: Year in review: Jeff Foster

This was a resurrection year for Jeff though I agree - he should be able to stick the jump shot.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jeff is not yet a scorer, and he certainly doesn't come close to resembling an adequate mid-range shooter, but the things that Jeff brings to the court he does very well.

As Buck says, he is a hustler and a rebounder. Jeff and Austin do a great job of keeping rebounds "alive" as well as anyone on the team, and as well as most in the league.

In the last few weeks, I've been a little hard on Jeff and his FT shooting ability. Someone should have thrown a rock my direction. 2-out-of-every-3 isn't too bad.... much better than the 1-for-2 he used to shoot. I figure he'll push it to 70%+ next season.

I think that even Jeff's strongest supporters would state that he is NOT the ideal starter for our team. But against most opponents, he adequately fills the role at both ends of the floor... at least until someone better is acquired to share the minutes with him.

For Jeff, I think he MUST develop a decent 12-14 foot shot, even if it's a set shot. He has to get his FT% over 70%. And for this season, I'd give him a special challenge.... teach his fundamentals regarding rebounding to Jermaine, who rarely blocks out to help teammates and goes after rebounds with his athleticism alone.

Many have spoken out against getting a player like Dampier. To slow. Has only produced in contract years. Jeff blends with JO, Dampier would not, etc.

I think Dampier might be decent for our team for the simple reason that he is different than Jeff. They both certainly rebound, but Jeff is the faster and quicker player, especially in getting from end-to-end and filling the lane. But Dampier is a far stronger, more imposing defensive player on the interior. Dampier brings a few different things to the court and would allow a few extra wrinkles to be thrown into the offense and the defense.

But in regards to Jeff, he's the type of player that serves his role very well. Every team needs and would love to have a player like him. He'll never ***** about not seeing the ball enough or getting enough minutes. He'll just step on the court and give you full effort every single minute he's on the court. He will NEVER lead by words; but he will lead by ACTION.

I'd hate to see him sacrificed to acquire another player. He'd be missed by both his teammates and the fans.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love Jeff. I thought he did a great job this year and like him in the starting lineup. If we can get a 2 to score 15-20 ppg, then we can win the Championship.

Good post Beast. I have no problem bringing Dampier in, if he is willing to take the mnidlevel exception type money, and willing to come off the bench, yes come off the bench. We know that won't happen, so that is why I say no thanks.

It bugs me to no end that J.O does not block out. He is the only player on the whole team that does not block out. Pacers are extremely well coached in blocking out, but J.O does not do it. Even Ron who is a type of a player who you might think would not block out does it very well. Jeff and Cro are superb at blocking out.

I think Jeff is the ideal starter for the Pacers. He fits in perfectly with J.O and Ron. I am only looking for a better backup center, because I did not like the smaller lineup with AL at PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good post Beast. I have no problem bringing Dampier in, if he is willing to take the mnidlevel exception type money, and willing to come off the bench, yes come off the bench. We know that won't happen, so that is why I say no thanks.

It bugs me to no end that J.O does not block out. He is the only player on the whole team that does not block out. Pacers are extremely well coached in blocking out, but J.O does not do it. Even Ron who is a type of a player who you might think would not block out does it very well. Jeff and Cro are superb at blocking out.

I think Jeff is the ideal starter for the Pacers. He fits in perfectly with J.O and Ron. I am only looking for a better backup center, because I did not like the smaller lineup with AL at PF.
    I LOVE the smaller lineup with Jermaine at centerr, though I love Jeff too.
    Jermaine/Al/Bender/Ron/Jamaall is STILL our best team next year.

Foster is a perfect fit for this team because he does not have the pressure of scoring. He can purely focus on rebounding and defense.

About his shooting, his form is actually really good. FT and FG. But for some reason they just don't go in. If he can practice a bit this summer, I think they will go in with frequency.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I've always thought of Jeff as a decent shooter [judging by warmups, college, and stories of him and Reggie's pre-game three-point contests], but it seems like he's almost tried to avoid shooting jumpers the last couple seasons.

Hopefully he'll add a respectable mid-range game this year; it would really make him into a fantastic all-around player.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Wait a min.

Whenever we talk about Al you always kept saying that it didn't matter who started, but who finished.

Yet whenever I see you talk about almost any other player you say that they should either start or come off of the bench.

Which is it? Is it important who starts or isn't it?

Jeff is as affective coming off of the bench as he is starting, so what differance does it make?

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm with you. Dampier is not what we need per say. Although I would be interested to see if the team really is interested in him.

But if he was to be brought here then why in the hell would we want the guy to come off of the bench?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Peck, I only have a few seconds.

Two points.

I don't like the lineup of J.O, Al, and Ron at the three front court positions. Defense is OK. But offensively I don't think it works.

I don't think Damp and J.O. as a combo will work

I've got to go