Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granger Invited to Train with Team USA

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Granger Invited to Train with Team USA

http://beta.indystar.com/article/200...RTS04/90507048

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger has been invited to participate in a USA Basketball training camp this summer, a step toward possibly playing in the 2012 Olympics.
    Click link to read more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Granger invited to USA training camp

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/05/07/team.usa.granger.ap/index.html

Pacers' Granger invited to Team USA summer camp

Posted May 7 2009 5:56PM
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird has said he thinks Danny Granger can be an Olympian. His star pupil now is a step closer.

Granger has been invited to participate in a USA Basketball training camp this summer, the first phase in selecting the squad for the 2012 Olympics in London. Granger said Thursday he hasn't officially accepted the invitation, but he likely will.
    Granger averaged 25.8 points for the Pacers this season and was named to the NBA All-Star team for the first time. Now, he's including the Olympics in his goals.
    "I think that's the level everyone strives to get to," Granger told The Associated Press by telephone from Italy. "You want to win an NBA championship, of course, but I think to play in the Olympics is something really special. It comes around just once every four years, and it's a special opportunity."
    Bird said in January while lobbying for Granger to make the All-Star team that the 6-foot-9 forward should be considered for the 2012 Olympic squad.
    "I want Danny to make the All-Star team, but I'd rather see him represent our country in the next Olympics," Bird, a gold medalist with the 1992 Dream Team, told the AP in January. "That's what I want to see, and that's when you know you made it, because those are all the best players in the world."
    USA Basketball spokesman Craig Miller said the camp is for players who haven't been on the senior national team in the past. He said between 20 and 24 players will participate in the camp, which is expected to take place in late July in Las Vegas.
    Miller said the program has not released the names of the invited players.

-----------------------

Nice to see Granger getting some love from the USA trainers/ coaches. I hope he makes the team and makes us proud. Everytime he becomes a bigger star.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger Invited to Train with Team USA

He would represent the USA very well. I hope he does participate this would be great for him.

Sweet.

Good for Danny! Hope he makes the 2012 squad!

That's always nice. Hopefully he can make the squad for 2012; it would be nice to see a Pacer playing, no doubt. I think the key for him is to improve his defense.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Nice..
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

His game should translate well to FIBA ball. He'd be a good fit on the team.

Congrats to Danny

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His game should translate well to FIBA ball. He'd be a good fit on the team.
    He could probably play PF
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Team USA is in a dire need for consistent 3 point shooting. Danny would help field that void.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

I was just reading the other day where some other players had just been invited and wondered why Danny hadn't been invited. No need to wonder anymore.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Danny would be a better fit than Micheal Redd was last time as the designated "three point shooter". I think he brings a lot more to the table as well as the willingness to play as a role player.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its a good thing financially that the Pacers got Danny signed to an extension last year. Allstar, Olympic invittee, 26 points a game, considered for MIP.

If not a max deal, he certainly wouldve gotten close.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Danny would be a better fit than Michael Redd was last time as the designated "three point shooter". I think he brings a lot more to the table as well as the willingness to play as a role player.
    Definitly. Redd just shoots but Danny drives and is just the all around better player to play for team USA.

I gotta get me a Danny USA jersey when they come out.

Danny would be great for international ball. He could definitely play either forward position, and he's a much more multidimensional player than Redd. If we look at him just as a shooter, though, he's still a great choice. Danny shooting threes from the short international line? Fuhgettaboutit.

I'm still worried about him overdoing it with the knees, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, Danny is a no-brainer for international ball. I'm 50-50 on whether I want him to play or not. I think it's good for him and his game to play with the best players (like how seeing Kobe train hard prepped LeBron for his MVP year) but it's still putting unnecessary miles on him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Danny would be great for international ball. He could definitely play either forward position, and he's a much more multidimensional player than Redd. If we look at him just as a shooter, though, he's still a great choice. Danny shooting threes from the short international line? Fuhgettaboutit.

I'm still worried about him overdoing it with the knees, though.
    the last statement is right on with my worries too. i'm happy he is being selected for this honor but, i also worry more that he could get hurt. if he makes it, i can only hope it all goes well with no injuries. he's only our franchise player after all.

Mood

I'm with you guys. I'm happy he's got a chance to be on the 2012 team, but I worry about the extra mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm with you guys. I'm happy he's got a chance to be on the 2012 team, but I worry about the extra mileage.
    x2

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this great for Granger. Being able to work with Kobe and LeBron and those guys, not only is it an honor for him to be considered, but it will be a great learning experience for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal. The summer he spends playing for the national team would just be a substitute for his normal summer workouts.

And he'd be a role player on that team. He wouldn't be doing the heavy lifting or playing the big minutes. He'd be fine heading into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal. The summer he spends playing for the national team would just be a substitute for his normal summer workouts.

I agree about not being worried about the extra mileage, but you saying this makes me wonder if the USA team will get in the way of his typically tremendous offseason practice/progress? It seems like Danny focuses extensively on one or two skills each offseason. Will practicing with the Olympic team leave him w/o the sort of time to do that (and I mean anyone who consistently improves at that kind of rate in ANY craft is logging some serious hours), or will practicing against all-star talent all summer help him reach yet another level? ?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The experience that he gets alone should make him a better player. Besides that it is nice to see an Indiana player on the squad, so we can be proud and let the nba know he is just as big as a star as the other big market stars.