Thread: Chauncey Billups & the Denver transformation

Default Chauncey Billups & the Denver transformation

As a Pacer fan, I have not historically been a fan of Chauncey Billups. However, he has always had my respect as a player and what he brings to the floor. With his performance this season and post-season, I thought he might deserve his own thread. What do you think of Chauncey and the value he brings to Denver? I think he brings leadership, structure, toughness, defense and clutchness....all things you need to win at the highest level.

Default Re: Chauncey Billups & the Denver transformation

We all said it when it happened, and it's been true: Denver got a steal.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know, I heard he was washed up and couldn't produce in the playoffs anymore.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know, I heard he was washed up and couldn't produce in the playoffs anymore.
    And this topic has officially been derailed. Nice job everyone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    And this topic has officially been derailed. Nice job everyone!!!!
    Only by you...

Chauncey has shown his true value to a team ever since he arrived in Denver. Which is why it was such a one sided trade. The Pistons may have cap space, but they will never easily recreate the leadership Billups brings to the floor. That has been the biggest thing he has brought to Denver, regardless of all the things he does on the floor, his leadership has galvanized that locker room.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Big time.

streets ahead

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that - at least financially. I didn't understand it from Denver's position because they were giving up a sizable exp. contract in Iverson for a visibly declining PG with 3yr/$36+mil left.

Detroit was getting a jump start on rebuilding without falling out of the playoffs - which was confusing given the extension they gave Rip but still probably the best move. I didn't expect the Iverson in Detroit experiment to go as poorly as it did but I never thought it was going to work on the court and I never thought Dumars intended it to.

At the time (and especially now) Denver won on the intangible side of things. Iverson is pound for pound more talented but for what the they needed, Chauncey was clearly the right piece. I thought the Nuggets would improve but not enough to challenge for a conference championship or a title. It seemed like they were committing a lot of money for a couple years of what seemed like small returns. Obviously it worked much better than expected. But along with the infusion of Chauncey and his leadership you have to add in the resurgence of Anderson (I guess you could add Jones?) and the anomalously healthy season for Nene.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 05-06-2009 at 11:31 PM.

I don't think Chauncey would have been the same player in Detroit. Being traded (and especially to home town Denver) put some fire in his belly, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersRule View Post
    Big time.
    Big, big time. I'm glad for the guy.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You know I was with you. Of course I also was on Philly's side when they got Dre and still am.

You look at guys with similar output, perhaps just slightly off, and typically more efficient statistically, and yet people still want to put AI way beyond them for some reason.

The fact is that in both cases AI wasn't really blowing those guys out of the water, and the reason that's bad is because his playing style is such that he should be. If you aren't going to show good shot selection, aren't going to practice with the team, aren't going to be part of the system, then you better make up for it by just crushing the other option.

I don't think AI has ever really done that, and definitely not in the last 4-5 years. Cripes, we were all impressed when he got up to the 8 range in APG. Dude has the ball in his hands 100 times a game and gets 8 assists. Takes 24-25 shots per game and gets 8 assists.

The reason Billups and Dre have success is because they know that other guys are on the court with them.

Cap space? Yeah, because no one would want Billups this year in a trade.

You keep CB, you give it another run, and then this summer to SnT him for that exact same FA you want to sign with cap space. Or your trade him for something else. CB is going to be as valuable on the market (if shopped) as AI's cap space is going to prove to be.

I mean Detroit is trying to put together a winning team, not just save money with Geiko, right?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The trade was a homerun for the Nuggets and most knew that at the time. They were desperately searching for a point guard-Tinsley was looking like he was going to end up there. Iverson had dipped dramatically and they were spinning their wheels.

You had a reasonably talented Pistons team thats main attribute was chemistry. You removed the glue and put in a chemistry killer in Iverson. And why? To rebuild. To get cap space. OK. Fine. Though Im not sure it made sense to do that then. They couldve made one final run this year-though maybe not going to win a title, they wouldve probably made a significant run.

But if rebuilding was the answer, then it was still a bad move. Cap space brings no guarantees. They couldve traded an allstar caliber pg for young talent. And they couldve done that up until the trade deadline and they couldve done that this summer.

So great move for Nuggets and bad move for the Pistons. Denver was in need of a chemistry improvement and they got one of the best glue guys in the league.

Just a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Only by you...

Chauncey has shown his true value to a team ever since he arrived in Denver. Which is why it was such a one sided trade. The Pistons may have cap space, but they will never easily recreate the leadership Billups brings to the floor. That has been the biggest thing he has brought to Denver, regardless of all the things he does on the floor, his leadership has galvanized that locker room.

I believe JJ could provide some the same things to the Pacers.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I believe JJ could provide some the same things to the Pacers.
    Wow. The same things? NBA finals MVP-level things?

Where is that delicious koolaid at?

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    the resurgence of Anderson (I guess you could add Jones?) and the anomalously healthy season for Nene.
    As far as Anderson goes, he replaced Camby, so I rate it a wash.

Nene has been huge, but Kleiza's #s have severely dropped.

Not to mention that Chauncey is a native, and a local.

One can only underestimate his impact.

Nice game Chauncey.

Denver will now almost certainly be in the western conference finals with a team that previously had been knocked out in the first round. While players like Allen Iverson are fun to watch on the highlights, there's a reason that players like Chauncey Billups advance in the playoffs. Unselfish team play, leadership, toughness, a focus and priority on defense and finally the gift of making the clutch shot.

An unstated purpose of this thread is to describe what it takes to win in the NBA at the highest level. Chauncey has it. Consider the type of team you want...and more specifically consider the type of players you want on your team. Are they unselfish? Are they true leaders? Do they shoot the fadeaway all the time or do they go in for the And-One? Is their priority defense? Can they make the clutch shot? Consider whether players like Danny Granger or Jermaine O'Neal or Reggie Miller actually have these characteristics. We know Chauncey has them...and look where he is now.

Edit: Wow, look at this Denver playoff dominance:

2003–044339.529Lost First RoundMinnesota 4, Denver 1
    2004–054933.598Lost First RoundSan Antonio 4, Denver 1
    2005–064438.537Lost First RoundLA Clippers 4, Denver 1
    2006–074537.543Lost First RoundSan Antonio 4, Denver 1
    2007–085032.610Lost First RoundLA Lakers 4, Denver 0
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 05-09-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Old or not, CHAUNCEY BILLUPS WINS BASKETBALL GAMES. End of discussion.

Mood

When I think of Billups I think of a steady and fundamental player. Add to the fact he is poised no matter what environment he is in and is a huge clutch guy I think Denver got a sweet deal in getting rid of AI and his me me me attitude for a guy that is team first.