Thread: New Play Caller and O-Line Coach

Default New Play Caller and O-Line Coach

From the man himself, Polian reveals who will be the next offensive coordinator and offensive line coach

Bill Polian was on the Dan Dakich show literally a few moments ago. While talking with Dan, Polian said that Clyde Christensen will indeed take over as the playcaller for the Colts, and Pete Metzelaars will take over as the o-line coach.
    Most of us had a feeling this was going to be the case from the get go, but you can never be too sure with Polian running the show.
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/

The star also mentioned that Mudd could be back as a consultant.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 05-15-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Default Re: New Play Caller and O-Line Coach

I guess we can now officially say Peyton is the new/old offensive coordinator. Will miss coach Moore and his two pack a day habit.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess we can now officially say Peyton is the new/old offensive coordinator. Will miss coach Moore and his two pack a day habit.
    Makes me wonder if Peyton will become more predictable on his audibles.

I think Peyton needs to learn how to do it without audibles. There are times at the end of the game where you don't have time to audible and have to make the necessary throws anyway, more importantly when you're playing good defenses.

That said, I don't think this is going to be the end of the world.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Will miss coach Moore and his two pack a day habit.

Didn't know Moore threw the cigs down.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I think Peyton needs to learn how to do it without audibles. There are times at the end of the game where you don't have time to audible and have to make the necessary throws anyway, more importantly when you're playing good defenses.

That said, I don't think this is going to be the end of the world.
    I totally agree. The more I look at Peyton audible the more I think defenses like the Pats show him a foramtion that tricks him into the wrong audible. I think we saw that with the chargers last year.

I'm not sure he gets tricked, but because he relies on it so much, when he's at the end of the game and doesn't have time to do it, it hurts. He can't seem to find things open.

Then again, if they could get a 3rd and 2, then there wouldn't be that problem...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

FWIW, Pete Metzelaars is an extremely bright and hard-working guy. I went to college with him at Wabash, where he was a division III legend, All-American in basketball and football, center on the national championship basketball team, then had a great and long NFL career first with the Seahawks then the great Bills teams.

You won't be losing anything in terms of O-line coach

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I think Peyton needs to learn how to do it without audibles.
    My main complaint about his line of scrimmage stuff is that he always runs the play clock down to zero. Defenses know they can move around and change sets. Guys blitzing can get a jump on the snap.

A little variety might help things.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    My main complaint about his line of scrimmage stuff is that he always runs the play clock down to zero. Defenses know they can move around and change sets. Guys blitzing can get a jump on the snap.

Great observation. I haven't really thought about that before.

I think alot of teams want Manning to audible out of the orginal play in order to fool him into a bad offensive play. For example the defense may show 8 in the box so he audibles out of a run play and into a pass play using his running back as a blocker. Then with 2 seconds to go the safety pulls out to cover the pass. I see a lot of teams do this and it seems to negate Mannings ability to make the correct call against the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

I'm right there with you on this.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Even if defenses can do that, Peyton still outsmarts them most of the time. But as mentioned, they need variety, badly. And I think the coaching changes may actually help in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    FWIW, Pete Metzelaars is an extremely bright and hard-working guy. I went to college with him at Wabash,
    Look, anyone willing to live in Crawfordsville has to give you pause on their thought process. Frankly, we're doomed.

Yeah, Metzelaars is a smart guy and will do fine.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....