Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suns get their man... NASH?!?

Default Suns get their man... NASH?!?

So much for Phoenix as a Kobe destinaation, the Suns have an agreement with Nash - 5 years, 65 million.

This is too much for him.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Default Re: Suns get their man... NASH?!?

5 years 65 million? Wow. Too much is right. Is he really what they need to get them anywhere? They were a lottery team with Marbury and they basically traded him for this cap space, now they just get another PG with it. He really that much better than Marbury?

They're paying NASH 13 Million a year ?! Jesus what a waste of money, and I like Steve a lot.
    [edit=12=1088727942][/edit]

Seriously - how does this make sense? They go from a contender to land a astud (Kobe or someone else) to landing NASH? Nash is a nice piece - but he is not the whole puzzle.

All they can do until the 14th is talk. They don't have Nash. They can't even offer him a contract.
    [edit=91=1088729151][/edit]
    [edit=91=1088729254][/edit]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is truly confusing. Also, this screws up the Shaq to dallas stuff so Kobe is DEFINATELY not staying in Lakerland.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

check out the other thread will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I said still holds. Nash has to sign a contract, he can't do that until July 14th, then the Mavs will have 15 days to match it, or declare they are not matching.

What Cuban could say he isn't matching now, then wait the full 15 days before matching Nash's contract, thus leaving the Suns hanging for a full month.

Personally I don't believe things until it's official.

Will - Nash is UNRESTRICTED - he gave Cuban the courtesy of matching.

Also - you have it wrong - you can offer contracts, you can have verbal committments - how good is someone's word... well that can be another story.

Point is this - the Suns sunk all of their flexibility into NASH.

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig
    What I said still holds. Nash has to sign a contract, he can't do that until July 14th, then the Mavs will have 15 days to match it, or declare they are not matching.
    Are you sure Will? I thought Nash was an unrestricted free agent meaning Cuban couldn't match even if he wanted to if Nash decides to leave. I think Nash was just giving Cuban one last chance to match the Suns deal and Cuban said no it was too high but I'm pretty sure Nash was just doing that as a courtesy to Cuban. I think the 15 days to match etc.,, only applies to restricted free agents and I'm pretty sure Nash is unrestricted.

See the list of free agents - including the designation of restricted and unrestricted

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/featur...bafreeagency04

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Will - Nash is UNRESTRICTED - he gave Cuban the courtesy of matching.

Also - you have it wrong - you can offer contracts, you can have verbal committments - how good is someone's word... well that can be another story.

Point is this - the Suns sunk all of their flexibility into NASH.

Oh goodness me, that does make a difference! In fact now that you called it to my attention I remember that he was giving Cuban the right to match.

Nash is a nice PG. The Suns can do what they want, I don't care.

Hey Dip, might that be the Yankee Clipper himself? Don't tell me who it is if it's not him. I want another guess.

I see this as a very good thing. Dallas gets worse, and while Phoenix gets better, I mean, come on, who's scared of Phoenix? ed:
    ---
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

So here's the question.

If you're Dallas, do you match?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow.

Talk about the definition of being "overpaid".

Damn, he's a good PG, but there's not a chance in hell that he's worth that kind of money.

Nerd.
    Mood

Courtesy of Yahoo Sports:

"PHOENIX (AP) -- Point guard Steve Nash agreed to a five-year, $65 million deal with the Phoenix Suns on Thursday, leaving the Dallas Mavericks to return to the team that drafted him eight years ago.

The deal includes a ``partial guarantee'' for a sixth year, Nash's agent Bill Duffy said.

Nash shook hands on the deal with new owner Robert Sarver and Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo at a meeting in Dallas, Duffy said.

ADVERTISEMENT

NBA rules prohibit Nash from signing the contract until July 14. Teams were allowed to begin talks with free agents late Wednesday.

Nash averaged 14.5 points, 8.8 assists and three rebounds per game last season, when he also recorded his first career triple-double.

He will give Phoenix an experienced playmaker ahead of young Leandro Barbosa. The move almost certainly removes the Suns from the competition for Los Angeles Lakers free agent Kobe Bryant.

Phoenix is $16.3 million under the NBA salary cap, not counting the Nash deal.

Dallas officials said repeatedly since the season ended that they expected no problem keeping Nash, the spark plug behind their rise from one of the league's worst teams to one of the best. Along the way, the energetic, floppy haired guard became an All-Star and a fan favorite.

``I think it was his intention to stay with the Mavericks,'' Duffy said of the 30-year-old Nash. ``Everything just turned around so quickly.''

The Suns sent a 12-person contingent to Dallas on Thursday morning, a group that included team president Bryan Colangelo, the Suns' Amare Stoudemire, Suns part-owner Steve Kerr and former player Rex Chapman.

``Phoenix came up to the plate and put together a very significant offer and we accepted it,'' Duffy said. ``The numbers were significant, but it was also the years. It was a five-year deal and that is very significant for someone Steve's age.''

Nash was drafted by Phoenix in 1996 and spent two seasons backing up Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd. He was traded to Dallas on draft day in 1998, the same night the Mavs acquired Dirk Nowitzki. Those two plus holdover Michael Finley formed the heart of Dallas' turnaround.

Nash spoke to Finley and Nowitzki by telephone during Thursday's eight-hour negotiations.

``I think it was very difficult for him,'' Duffy said, but he added that the Suns' proposal was ``a very aggressive offer for this marketplace.''

Finley and Nowitzki were given maximum contracts two summers ago. Nash, who was never offered an extension, opted out of his contract to become a free agent for the first time but maintained that he wanted to remain in Dallas.

``I think everyone is optimistic that I can be a part of our building process,'' he said the day after the Mavericks were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. ``I certainly want to be part of that process. I don't think of this as the end of my time here.''

But the Suns lured Nash with money and a long-term deal. Nash will be teamed with Stoudemire, the NBA rookie of the year two seasons ago who also is a client of Duffy. The Suns also have two young high scorers in Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion.

The length of the contract was one of the attractions for Nash. The familiarity Nash had with the Suns franchise as well as Phoenix's aggressiveness in pursuing him also were factors, Duffy said.

After the meeting, the Suns' contingent returned to Phoenix by private jet. Nash went back to his home in Victoria, British Columbia.

Jerry Colangelo, also chairman of baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, arrived late for Thursday night's game against San Diego. He said NBA rules prohibited him from talking about the Nash situation until signings are allowed on July 14.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson had discussed Nash's return as if it was inevitable -- even after they traded Antawn Jamison to Washington for No. 5 pick Devin Harris, a point guard from Wisconsin.

Harris was immediately tabbed as Nash's backup and long-term replacement.

Duffy said Cuban wasn't able to match the Suns' surprisingly large offer.

The biggest knock on Nash is durability.

Coach Don Nelson always talked about limiting his minutes during the regular season to keep him fresher for the playoffs, but rarely did. Concerns that Nash's all-out style may wear him out by the end of a long-term deal may have been a factor in this move. Dallas likely wasn't willing to offer as many years as the Suns.

Dallas sports writer Jamie Aron contributed to this story"

Nerd.
    Mood

*Edited double post due to my lack of knowing how to delete the post*
    [edit=60=1088740649][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF

Hey Dip, might that be the Yankee Clipper himself? Don't tell me who it is if it's not him. I want another guess.
    Yep, thats Joe D.

[edit=73=1088740762][/edit]

I just don't get this.

I thougt they were going for the future, with Milos V. and Barbosa, Zarko, Lampe, and not to mention Amare, Marion, and JJ.

Now they go sign a aging point guard who is good but not worth this.

I compare Nash's value to a little more than Dampier just because Nash is consistant. Nash's salary should never exceed 10 million and the Suns should not have signed him past 5 years.

I hate that NBA players are payed for how they payed last season and not how they are likely to play next season. I think after a few seasons into the deal, their salarys should decline. They always end up to go downhill or something. Maybe its just me. Hell ignore this paragraph.

Yep, thats Joe D.
    You are a Yankee fan?

-----

And just to make this non-off topic; I don't understand the move yet. I need more explanation by the organization.

What the heck did the Suns trade their pick for?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

5 yr 65 million? Wow... So if a PG is worth that much how much is an All Star center worth? :P

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

And Dallas uses their MLE to lock up Daniels:

Mavs make sure to hang on to Daniels
    Dallas beats potential suitors to coveted restricted free agent

11:47 PM CDT on Thursday, July 1, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

FORT WORTH - The big one got away. But the other big one isn't going to.

The Mavericks have reached an agreement on a new contract with restricted free agent Marquis Daniels. The number of years was not immediately known, but a Mavericks source said Daniels will receive most, if not all, of the midlevel exception, expected to be about $5 million.

More Mavericks
    If the deal is for three years with 12.5 percent raises each year, that would put the total contract worth almost $17 million.

"We feel very good about the situation with Marquis," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations. "By the 14th [of July], we should have things pretty well done."

Daniels made the Mavericks as an undrafted free agent last season. By the end of the season, he was a starter. His new contract represents a huge pay raise over the $360,000 he made as a rookie.

Earlier in the day, Daniels' agent, Glenn Schwartzman, said the midlevel exception was what his client was looking for.

"Some of the teams we've heard from are the teams with the most to spend under the cap," Schwartzman said. "But if someone were to come quickly with the full midlevel exception, we'd probably be inclined to sign the offer sheet and bring things to a quicker conclusion."

Meanwhile, news that Steve Nash had agreed to a deal with the Phoenix Suns sent shock waves through the Mavs' organization.

"It's a huge loss," said Josh Howard, who played for the Mavericks' summer league team in an exhibition against China on Thursday night at TCU's Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. "There's going to be a big piece missing. It's like your little brother going away."

Devin Harris, now No. 1 on the point guard depth chart, said he is disappointed about not having the opportunity to learn from Nash.

"Stuff happens," Harris said. "He's a key piece and he's going to be missed."

Howard was asked after the exhibition, in which Harris showed flashes of why he was made the No. 5 overall pick last week, if the rookie has what it takes to step in.

"He's going to have to learn," Howard said. "There's no choice. He has the ability."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...der.bb20e.html

If that last article doesn't make it sound like a done deal, I don't know what does.

Just because the ink hasn't been dried yet doesn't mean it's done anyway; just not official yet.