Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Philly

The Philly thread got me thinking:

Philly gets

Jamaal Tinsley
    Troy Murphy

Indiana gets

Elton Brand

We get savings in the first two years of this deal. They are the two years that we will worry about needing financial flexibility. We get the back to the basket scoring threat we need and a perfect complement to Hibbert. Foster moves to the first man off the bench, which is the more appropriate role for him. We get rid of Tinsley since Philly's PG situation is up in the air. They have a chance to work him out all summer to get him up and running again. If they do re-sign Miller, which is a good idea, this still gives them a terrific player as a backup. Miller won't command the 9M per that he earned before and would probably take just above the MLE from the Sixers since they own his Bird Rights. I could see him taking 6+M per over about 3-4 years into retirement. They add their first rounder and they have 13 players under contract and they are right at the 69M mark which will be close to the LT.

Yes, we take on another 28M in this deal, but we get a huge upgrade at PF and we wouldn't be able to make this deal if not for his injuries and their drafting of Mareese Speights. I think this is a great time to go after Brand. His achilles was fully healed early this season and its had tie to rest. He had shoulder surgery and he will be ready long before training camp. He will hopefully be fully recovered and give us another four years of great basketball. His deal gets moderately more expensive and there is always the opportunity for him to opt out of that final year for us to re-sign him for a couple more years. I think this would be a great deal for us in the short term and the long term. Brand and Murphy are both 30. Brand will be 34 when his deal is over.

Default Re: Philly

This is an interesting trade. I was thinking of something like this a few days ago. I was kind of leaning towards to side that Brand's injuries are going to get the best of his career now (like what happened to JO). Its a HUGE risk to invest in a player like Brand, because his contract is sooooo long and very expensive. It is an upgrade at PF, but if Brand keeps on getting injured, like JO did, its basically a useless trade and the Pacers are on the hook for a lot of money.

Trade trade (financially) works out great http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=cuxpln

If the Pacers consider this trade, theyre going to need a lot of expert medical reports on Brand. On paper the Pacers would look like an amazing team. But if injuries start plaguing us again, we'll be right back in the lottery contention

Ford/Jack
    Rush/Henderson (hopeful draft pick)
    Granger/Dunleavy
    Brand/McRoberts
    Hibbert/Foster

Not a bad team when healthy
    Last edited by MillerTime; 05-04-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Hmmm, this is risky...after all the injuries plus he's not exactly that young anymore, I'm not so sure. If he's healthy, what a big improvement for us; if he's not healthy, it'd be like landing a Tracy McGrady, or a Tinsley that sits courtside instead of his home.

Keep in mind, Brand only played 23 games in 2008/2009 and only 8 games in 2007/2008
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's a lot of time to rest. Brand had two completely separate injuries, neither of which were his knees. That's a completely different ball game when looking at JO and Brand. Brand's injuries were an Achilles and Shoulder. I think he will be able to come back from those two injuries without much of an issue. Its not like he is reaggravating the same injury like JO by coming back too soon from ACL RECONSTRUCTION. That's a much more severe injury for a basketball player than what Brand is dealing with.

I agree it is very risky, but notice how we sent them Tinsley in this deal as well. It really opens up a lot of financial flexibility for us in the next two years. And did I mention we get rid of Tinsley? This deal for us is in essence Brand's contract for an overpaid Murphy and Tinsley who isn't a consideration for our team at this point. I think its a terrific deal for us. But I understand the injury concerns for a team haunted by an injury prone PF.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a lot of time to rest. Brand had two completely separate injuries, neither of which were his knees. That's a completely different ball game when looking at JO and Brand. Brand's injuries were an Achilles and Shoulder. I think he will be able to come back from those two injuries without much of an issue. Its not like he is reaggravating the same injury like JO by coming back too soon from ACL RECONSTRUCTION. That's a much more severe injury for a basketball player than what Brand is dealing with.

I agree it is very risky, but notice how we sent them Tinsley in this deal as well. It really opens up a lot of financial flexibility for us in the next two years. And did I mention we get rid of Tinsley? This deal for us is in essence Brand's contract for an overpaid Murphy and Tinsley who isn't a consideration for our team at this point. I think its a terrific deal for us. But I understand the injury concerns for a team haunted by an injury prone PF.
    Achilles is a dangerous injury. You have a point with Brand not having to of the same injuries but Achilles injury is not minor. Look at Vince Carter; when he played in Toronto he was playing really well. Once he injured his Achilles he never played the same.

Im not saying that Im not for this trade. It does get rid of Tinsley and it does get us a post player that can play defense. But this is not a trade to just jump into because it involves Brand. We have to look at his injury because being stuck with his long term contract is just going to paralyze the Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's injury bound. That's the last thing we need to worry about. Any guy getting injured.

If Brand was 100% healthy, this would be a fantastic trade. However, if Brand is 100% healthy, I doubt Philly goes for it. If they completely swing and miss in the PG market, it becomes more realistic.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I recall Bird once saying that hes going to try to stay away from long term contracts, which Brand clearly has

This wouldn't be a bad deal for Philly actually, if they want to trade Brand. If they want to keep running, Murph would be good to have since he's a player that's used to that type of system. Also, he'd space the floor and thus allow Iguodala to play the 2 and Young to play the 3, which are their natural positions arguably. His defensive issues would be masked with Dalembert inside to cover his mistakes. And as mentioned, if they lose Miller, Tinsley would be a decent replacement.

With that said, Brand would be a risk and would hurt a rebuilding team like us if he keeps getting injured. Ultimately though, it's a deal we should probably do if Philly agrees since it would put us over the hump.