Thread: any interest in dalembert?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default any interest in dalembert?

apparently dalembert asked for a trade just before the deadline and the sixers are trying to accommodate him.

dalembert is the kind of athletic shotblocker which we don't have on the roster right now. the biggest knock on him is that he doesn't play with a lot of effort. also worrying is that somehow he managed to get kicked off the canadian national team last summer in olympic qualifying.

would the sixers consider a murphy for dalembert swap? they have almost the same remaining contract (in years and money). would we?

the sixers are also likely to lose andre miller to free agency. would they consider tinsley in a dalembert trade? say, something like dalembert-evans for murphy-tinsley.

regardless, i think there could be a few potential trades between the pacers and sixers. good matches contract wise, overlapping needs, and not much avenue for improvement other than trades for both teams.

Default Re: any interest in dalembert?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    apparently dalembert asked for a trade just before the deadline and the sixers are trying to accommodate him.

dalembert is the kind of athletic shotblocker which we don't have on the roster right now. the biggest knock on him is that he doesn't play with a lot of effort. also worrying is that somehow he managed to get kicked off the canadian national team last summer in olympic qualifying.

would the sixers consider a murphy for dalembert swap? they have almost the same remaining contract (in years and money). would we?

the sixers are also likely to lose andre miller to free agency. would they consider tinsley in a dalembert trade? say, something like dalembert-evans for murphy-tinsley.

regardless, i think there could be a few potential trades between the pacers and sixers. good matches contract wise, overlapping needs, and not much avenue for improvement other than trades for both teams.

I agree with this last statement. These teams do appear to be a nice match trade wise and are teams in similar situations.

I'm not a big fan of Dalembert, but I can definitely see a version of a deal mentioned above: Murphy/Tinsley for Dalembert/Evans makes sense for both teams I think.

I also of course also really really like Mareese Speights, so I'd like any deal involving Philadelphia to involve him somehow. If you were trying to create a deal involving him, you'd have to structure it differently, something like:

Murphy/Ford for Dalembert/Evans/Speights, plus maybe some cash or a draft pick from Philadelphia. What I would really like to do is not get an extra pick from Philadelphia for this draft, but I would like to acquire one for next year's 2010 draft, which I think may end up being much better than this years.

I also want to mention that I think Philadelphia will be major competition in free agency with us for Jarrett Jack, because they are somewhat limited capwise and I believe Andre Miller will leave them. Obviously, a trade involving Ford would likely end that worry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a good defender and blocker but I don't think he would fit well into our fast pace system.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    Murphy/Ford for Dalembert/Evans/Speights, plus maybe some cash or a draft pick from Philadelphia. What I would really like to do is not get an extra pick from Philadelphia for this draft, but I would like to acquire one for next year's 2010 draft, which I think may end up being much better than this years.
    The 76ers would lose all semblance of their interior defense in that kind of trade, never mind the fact that you also want their pick and their best bigman prospect.

As much as the 76ers are frustrated by Dalembert, trading him for Murphy doesn't do anything to help them become a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The 76ers would lose all semblance of their interior defense in that kind of trade, never mind the fact that you also want their pick and their best bigman prospect.

As much as the 76ers are frustrated by Dalembert, trading him for Murphy doesn't do anything to help them become a better team.

Well, a guy can hope, can't he?

Actually, Murphy is a good fit for them. They have some of the worst outside shooting in the league, so he fills that weakness while giving them at least some size. Ford could be their replacement to Andre Miller, who almost surely will leave it sounds like.

If we agreed to take their 2010 pick instead of this years selection, they could use their pick to replace Speights, who long term is blocked by the giant contract of Elton Brand anyway.....at least, that's how I would try to sell the idea to Philadelphia!

By the way, I agree with the poster who said he didn't think Dalembert was a great fit here. If I were actually to entertain a move like this for real, I would try to have a 3rd team involved so I could spin Dalembert off to them (Oklahoma City, Memphis?) and acquire salary relief, young players, or draft picks.

If you somehow ended up, from a Pacers perspective, with a young big man in Speights, additional draft picks, the cap room to sign/re-sign additional pieces and to get your financial house in order long term.......I think you'd have to do the deal.

I think Philadelphia strongly considers the deal as well, I really do.....they might require a small sweetener from my hypothetical third team though.

Just a thought.......

Tbird

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    Well, a guy can hope, can't he?

Actually, Murphy is a good fit for them. They have some of the worst outside shooting in the league, so he fills that weakness while giving them at least some size. Ford could be their replacement to Andre Miller, who almost surely will leave it sounds like.

If we agreed to take their 2010 pick instead of this years selection, they could use their pick to replace Speights, who long term is blocked by the giant contract of Elton Brand anyway.....at least, that's how I would try to sell the idea to Philadelphia!

By the way, I agree with the poster who said he didn't think Dalembert was a great fit here. If I were actually to entertain a move like this for real, I would try to have a 3rd team involved so I could spin Dalembert off to them (Oklahoma City, Memphis?) and acquire salary relief, young players, or draft picks.

If you somehow ended up, from a Pacers perspective, with a young big man in Speights, additional draft picks, the cap room to sign/re-sign additional pieces and to get your financial house in order long term.......I think you'd have to do the deal.

I think Philadelphia strongly considers the deal as well, I really do.....they might require a small sweetener from my hypothetical third team though.

Just a thought.......

Tbird
    That's basically a used car salesman's pitch trying to convince someone else that this is what they need.

Finding a good bigman prospect like Speights at #16 is rare. What makes you think there's a bigman as good as Speights in this year's draft (where Philly will have a worse pick) that will be as good as him? If you're Philly, why give away something that is hard to find? I seriously doubt you would if you were their GM and not a Pacers' fan.

Philly needs shooting, but they can find shooters a lot easier than they can a C who can defend the paint and a good young bigman prospect in the middle of the 1st round. Murphy would help them shoot better....... and he'd also make them the worst interior defending team in the league. You talk about defense a lot in most of your posts, but that didn't seem to be much of a consideration in your sales pitch, but I guess you pretty much admitted it was just a pitch.

That is a horrible trade for Philly.

I don't think so. Hibbert has the potential to become or even exceed Dalembert in the future. Giving up Murphy would be giving up our best PF, double-double machine, and a 3-point threat.

too much money. Hes not worth it. Hes not much difference from what Hibbert can be
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I also agree with this statement.

I suggested a TJ Ford for Reggie Evans, Willie Green, and Jason Smith in another thread. I still like that idea.

I'm not excited about Dalembert, and I agree with DC's analysis of a Dalembert/Murphy swap. If Dalembert came cheap, I'd be interested, but my idea of cheap is Tinsley+filler, and I doubt Philly gets that desperate.

Elton Brand is the guy that probably could be had cheap, if we want him. After seeing how their team played without him this season, I'm sure they'd love to get out of his contract.

I think Speights is untouchable in Philly. I think Jason Smith could be had for dirt cheap, and is a low risk, high reward type of pickup.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I also agree with this statement.

I suggested a TJ Ford for Reggie Evans, Willie Green, and Jason Smith in another thread. I still like that idea.

I'm not excited about Dalembert, and I agree with DC's analysis of a Dalembert/Murphy swap. If Dalembert came cheap, I'd be interested, but my idea of cheap is Tinsley+filler, and I doubt Philly gets that desperate.

Elton Brand is the guy that probably could be had cheap, if we want him. After seeing how their team played without him this season, I'm sure they'd love to get out of his contract.

I think Speights is untouchable in Philly. I think Jason Smith could be had for dirt cheap, and is a low risk, high reward type of pickup.
    Dalembert is one of those guys who the team is always frustrated with and will always be brought up in trade rurmors, but at the end of the day, he's going to stay with his current team.

For one thing, if they trade him, who plays center for the 76ers? For another thing, if they are fed up with him this much, who is going to trade the 76ers something worthwhile enough to make up for the fact that they won't have a starting center?

There is going to be a lot of talk this summer regarding Dalembert, but in the end, no trade.

The 76ers will probably keep Brand. Besides the fact that nobody will take his contract, he can help them if he comes back healthy. If he was healthy during the past playoff series, they might've actually won. They could've really used what he provides.

I don't know if Evans/Green/Smith for TJ helps the Pacers that much, other than shortening their salary committments. You would do it if you just don't have any use for TJ, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I don't know if Evans/Green/Smith for TJ helps the Pacers that much, other than shortening their salary committments. You would do it if you just don't have any use for TJ, but that's about it.
    The trade really only works if you're able to draft your PG of the future at 13.

It also addresses the Pacers' need for interior toughness and rebounding while replacing TJ's instant bench offense with Willie Green. Jason Smith showed some promise during his rookie year, and at worst is an athletic 7 footer who can play either position. The Pacers can then use their cap room to fill one need rather than many.

It's not a great trade, I'll admit, but I think it helps both teams and is more likely than most of the trades that get posted on here.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    The trade really only works if you're able to draft your PG of the future at 13.

It also addresses the Pacers' need for interior toughness and rebounding while replacing TJ's instant bench offense with Willie Green. Jason Smith showed some promise during his rookie year, and at worst is an athletic 7 footer who can play either position. The Pacers can then use their cap room to fill one need rather than many.

It's not a great trade, I'll admit, but I think it helps both teams and is more likely than most of the trades that get posted on here.

I like the trade and would make it in a heartbeat. Jason Smith has possibilities. I kept my eye on him during his rookie season, and I remember Slick having some nice things to say about him.

Green can replace Graham and Evens can be a decent bench player.