Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    By Mike Wells
    Posted: May 2, 2009
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...TS04/905020432

    Rick Carlisle did what many thought he couldn't: change.

    The biggest adjustment, something his former Indiana Pacers players ached for several years ago, came in late January.



    Carlisle, now coaching Dallas, folded up his trusty blue card filled with set plays, tucked it inside his tailored suit and put his confidence in the hands of his point guard.

    Carlisle quit micromanaging. He let go. Jason Kidd, a future Hall of Famer, now runs the show.

    Kidd, Carlisle and the Mavericks ran all the way to a 50-32 record and first-round blitz of third-seeded San Antonio in the playoffs.

    Dallas plays Denver in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals Sunday.

    "Night and day," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said in an e-mail about the effect Carlisle's tactical change had on the team's performance. "It showed the team that Rick trusted them, which in turn picked up the energy and cohesiveness of the team."

    Carlisle often frustrated the Pacers, in particular Jamaal Tinsley, by repeatedly slowing the tempo and calling plays throughout his four seasons as coach.

    Several Mavericks told the Dallas Morning News earlier this season that Carlisle called plays 70 percent to 80 percent of the time during the first three months of season, but just 20 percent to 30 percent of the time after turning it over to Kidd.

    "That was real pivotal in us gaining momentum in the second half of the season," Carlisle said in a phone interview earlier this week. "He's such a good player and has such a good pulse on our players that the more he could facilitate off the fly during games was helping our team."

    Carlisle, fired as Pacers coach after the 2006-07 season, spent last season as a TV analyst. He said being out of coaching for a year helped him "step back and study the game from a different perspective and re-energize" himself.

    Darrell Armstrong played for Carlisle with the Pacers. They have reunited in Dallas, with Armstrong serving as a "development assistant coach."

    He sees the change in Carlisle.

    "He's done a great job with the players," Armstrong said. "He tries to communicate with them more and get their thoughts. At the same time, he gets his thoughts across, too. It's also helped Jason out. I haven't seen him talk this much before and I played with him for a year (in New Jersey)."

    Carlisle knew he would coach again, but he didn't think he would be doing it in Dallas, which was two years removed from reaching the NBA Finals.

    He had talented players such as Kidd, All-Star Dirk Nowitzki, NBA Sixth Man of the Year Jason Terry and Josh Howard with whom to work when he arrived.

    "That kind of came out of nowhere, but it's been a blessing for me to be in a situation where it's a different type of team from the teams I've coached," Carlisle said. "It's not a grind-it-out type of roster. It's a fast break, movement type of offense.

    "It's been a very challenging year, especially when we started 2-7 in the West, but we've been able to hold it together and be in a position to advance. It's just been awesome."





    To bad he did not do this when he was here.

  2. #2
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    [Sarcasm]

    This can't be possible! Coaches never adapt to their personnel!!

    Lies, I tell you, lies!

    [Sarcasm]
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    I think he adapted more because of survival as a coach in the NBA than just because he wanted to win more games, I think he realize that not fan base or players were going to like him or deal with him for to long if he keep calling every single play.

  4. #4
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    My first comment wasn't directed at you. "Coaches never change" seems to be a reoccuring theme on this board - from Bird's by-the-clock substitutions, to Rick's calling lots of set plays, to JOB's perimeter-oriented game. So that's where my comment came from.

    However, this is...

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he adapted more because of survival as a coach in the NBA than just because he wanted to win more games,
    That's insane! A coach not motivated by winning games? Winning games is what enables a coach to survive in the NBA - at least a head coach. Rick (and every other coach for that matter) does what he does because he feels it gives him the BEST chance to win.

    Rick clearly felt he had a better chance to win games calling plays than letting Tinsley improvise. I really can't say I fault that decision. I wouldn't trust Tinsley in ordering pizza.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  5. #5

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Pretty obvious what allowed this to happen: Jason Kidd. I wouldn't let Tinsley take my order at McDonald's, let alone take control over my basketball team.

  6. #6
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Hmmmm....something (or someone) else seems to be missing from this picture.

  7. #7
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,010

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Carlisle coached the way he did here because he had a huge ego to feed playing PF.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carlisle coached the way he did here because he had a huge ego to feed playing PF.
    He coached the same way in Detroit when he had Billups , this is not about who the PG is, it was more about the coach ego and did not wanted to change, now he knows that he has to change to have a longer career in the NBA, I know he had JO telling him to feed him all day, but still, once JO was hurt he was still running the offense the same way.

  9. #9
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,835

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Hard to say. On one hand, perhaps in part he learned from what happened here and has adjusted accordingly. Maybe it was just good reflective coaching. You start 2-7 with a team with some talent so you make an adjustment.

    That said, the context is way different, too. I agree with what RC says, Dallas has the players for the more freewheeling, up and down game that we did, particularly starting with Kidd at the point. Beyond the comparison with he and JT in terms of decision-making, leadership, etc., JKidd's in a whole different league in athleticism even at his age.

    In addition, they just have a lot better players than we did the last couple seasons under RC. Josh Howard, Dirk, Terry, and so forth. Hard pressed to find a guy on our team during that period that played as consistently well as those guys. Jack is about the only on that comes to mind.

    EDIT: If there's any question about the more wide-open, up-tempo approach, there's no way RC's last couple Pacer squads had the personnel to do that effectively, IMO.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 05-02-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  10. #10
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Others have stated it. Kid > Tinsley

  11. #11
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Rick didn't make any adjustments ever as Pacers coach. Even when it was painfully obvious that his approach was not working, he didn't make a single change. And I don't buy the argument that we didn't have the personnel to run and gun because Rick would never know since he didn't try. The bottom line is, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten. That was the story of Rick's coaching career until this season. He changed some things, and now has a different result. Before he turned them loose at mid season, the Mavs looked like Pacers west.

  12. #12
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I don't buy the argument that we didn't have the personnel to run and gun because Rick would never know since he didn't try.
    Lets look at that for a second...

    Tinsley, Reggie, Artest, JO, Brad Miller

    Those are not players who would excel in a running game.

    Reggie would be good hitting threes trailing the play. But he was far better suited to a 1/2 court offense. Tinsley has the fundamentals, but not the leadership. JO, Ron, Brad are not uptempo players

    Every player in the NBA wants to play uptempo. Not every one can do it.

    Rick ran the offense he did because of the players he had.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  13. #13
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Brad wasn't here when Rick was, but your point stands with Scot Pollard.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets look at that for a second...

    Tinsley, Reggie, Artest, JO, Brad Miller

    Those are not players who would excel in a running game.

    Reggie would be good hitting threes trailing the play. But he was far better suited to a 1/2 court offense. Tinsley has the fundamentals, but not the leadership. JO, Ron, Brad are not uptempo players

    Every player in the NBA wants to play uptempo. Not every one can do it.

    Rick ran the offense he did because of the players he had.
    this was before, but I remember the year when they decided to run, they Had Tinsley/Sarunas,Danny/Jackson,Marquis/Harrinton,JO/Foster and Harrison/Maceo. they had a decent team to run and Rick did not wanted to run, that was the number one reason why Harrinton wanted to go to another team.

  15. #15
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Whoops on Brad Miller. I paged back one too many seasons when I was checking rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this was before, but I remember the year when they decided to run, they Had Tinsley/Sarunas,Danny/Jackson,Marquis/Harrinton,JO/Foster and Harrison/Maceo. they had a decent team to run and Rick did not wanted to run, that was the number one reason why Harrinton wanted to go to another team.
    Of those, Marquis is the only one really good in transition, mainly from his ability to get to the rim and finish. Jax was OK, but still made really bad decisions, and I wasn't particularly impressed with his open court ability. Foster before the back injury could get up and down OK. Of course, he'd have 6 offensive fouls on fast breaks in the first half alone. Harrington I think is a good example of a player who'd really like to run, but would not be very well suited for it. Harrison? Nope. JO? Nope. Sarunas. Good vision, good passer. Bad handle.

    Don't confuse that Danny with this one. He's improved a great deal over the past couple of years.

    I do think you underestimate the skills needed to sucessfully implement a "run and gun" type offense. (Let alone win an NBA championship with it.)

    I do like the idea of pushing the ball up the court quickly. It puts pressure on the defense, and you might get a quick, easy shot out of it.

    And I do wish that Rick would have done that a little more often. But, I just don't see how it would work consistently with that group of players. Even the later groups, which were more athletic, didn't have the BBIQ, passing skills, and handles to make it work. It takes more than athleticism to run successfully. Rick didn't trust them to do it, and I don't blame it for that. It was a group of players that collectively had a very low BBIQ, and I think Rick felt that the only what to get them to execute with any hope of success was to call (most of) the plays. Again, I think that was the right call, and also fit better with the collective skill set of the team.

    Coaches do have egos, big ones in many cases. But, those egos are fed by winning more than anything else. I've spent many nights awake trying to figure out how to get the best of my teams - what plays to run, what positions fit the players best - and that's just youth football. I'm very sure Rick but a great deal of thought into how to best utilitize the skills of his players.
    Last edited by Doug; 05-03-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  16. #16
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    When Dallas first hired him I thought that he wouldn't make much change for them but looks like he proved me wrong. He's a great coach but I was always thinking that Chicago would be a team that would hire him. Good luck to him.

  17. #17
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,562

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Others have stated it. Kid > Tinsley
    That's what I've been thinking.........Carlisle simply has a PG that he can trust to run the offense the way that he wants it run.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #18
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's what I've been thinking.........Carlisle simply has a PG that he can trust to run the offense the way that he wants it run.
    But even then, he didn't hand it over until mid season. When you have a HALL OF FAME pg, you let him do what he does best. You don't shackle him like he's Jamaal Tinsley, and when it doesn't seem to be working only then allow him to run the show. If you watched any of the games, yes Dallas was running, but you could tell it took every fiber of Rick's being to let it happen. Like he was trying to force himself to sneeze with his eyes open or something. If he had let Dallas loose from the get go they might have won 60 games.
    Last edited by travmil; 05-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.

  19. #19
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he adapted more because of survival as a coach in the NBA than just because he wanted to win more games, I think he realize that not fan base or players were going to like him or deal with him for to long if he keep calling every single play.
    Yes, because in Indy or Detroit he had no desire to keep his job. That does make sense.


    Maybe the answer is he tried to control Tinsley because he needed to be controlled. It's not like JOB's approach worked better. Rick got a lot more out of Tins than JOB did, and JOB is the one with the wide open offense going at a high pace.

    Maybe he tweaked and prodded Artest to his only AS appearance as a method of "surviving".

    Maybe he tried to make the best of a situation in which his $20m post guy was a shell of his former self...or did Toronto just win a title that I missed?

    Maybe the game he let Jack play was the right game for Jack, as proven by his results in GSt.

    Maybe Dun and Troy aren't as good as Al and Jack were, despite the problems of Al and Jack (Al especially). I mean I'm also waiting on their first playoff appearance and each has now had their "best season ever" post-Rick without taking the team to the playoffs, let alone .500.


    As I repeat ad nuseum till it sinks in around here, Rick dealt with 4 clearly different rosters his first 4 seasons. Detroit turned over a couple of stars from year 1 to year 2 and they went from 2nd round to ECF. Then he comes to a 1st round out team that just lost it's AS center and they go to the ECF, only losing to his former team after they ADD an AS PF for free basically. Then he takes a trainwreck team of suspsensions and injuries to round 2.


    But somehow this dude is just now learning to adapt.

    Does anyone know which roster held the Pacers record for most 3pt attempts prior to JOB's chuck and run teams? That's right, old Mr. Slow Down and Grind himself, Rick Carlisle's roster from 04-05.

    Has there ever been a coach get less respect than Carlisle? His career is now as follows:

    50 wins, 2nd round
    50 wins, ECF
    61 wins, ECF
    44 wins, 2nd round
    41 wins, 1st round
    35 wins, no playoffs
    50 wins, 2nd round (at least)

    That's with 3 different teams and at least 5 pretty distinct core rosters. I'm sorry but when does scoreboard start doing the talking around here. I mean WTF has JOB done since Rick left? 36 wins and 36 wins, and in spite of big time improvements to the overall roster.

    You know how many times Larry Brown went to the 2nd round in his first 6 NBA seasons of coaching? 1 time and with a top win total of 50.

    All it took for him to go beyond 50 wins and get farther in the playoffs was to have a little tiny itty bitty bump from adding flipping David Robinson AND Sean Elliot to his roster at the same time.

    But Larry was a guy who knew how to win in the playoffs and made teams better. I just wonder if Rick could have made the NBA finals if they'd traded JO for Tim Duncan in 2003. Probably not though since the dude can't adapt. Only Larry Brown could pull off that miracle.




    The year they wanted to run he had a good team for it???? F'ing Jackson can't get off the floor or up the court quick enough to get a break flush, Tinsley continued to be a natural disaster in the break even with JOB (good HC PG, terrible on the run due to lanes/decision).

    Seriously they had 1 dude that could run well that season - Rawle flipping Marshall. When that's your main go-to break dude you are barking up the wrong tree to run.

    JO's going to run? Harrington is a running player? No, Al likes to play ole defense and then chuck from the perimeter.

    And if Saras was such a great running PG they why the F couldn't he get in games for the Warriors?


    Rick had a freaking Hum-V and people wanted him to enter it in the USGP.

    Oh, and then they got even quicker after swapping for Dun/Troy, both playing like guys coming off bad seasons caused by injuries and/or mental hangups.

    How did they not win more than 35? Oh, maybe exactly the way JOB has won 36 in back to back years. And this current roster has 10 times the running talent with Jack, Granger (now), Graham, and Rush on the roster. Ford would be there but he almost always calls his own number on breaks.

  20. #20
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Good post Seth. People will simply never like the current coach when that coach has not done better than the season before.

  21. #21
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good post Seth. People will simply never like the current coach when that coach has not done better than the season before.
    Not exactly true. I always liked Carlisle. I haven't liked JOB because of our defense. I honestly thought he would be a better defensive coach since his old Boston teams were decent in FG% defense.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, because in Indy or Detroit he had no desire to keep his job. That does make sense.


    Maybe the answer is he tried to control Tinsley because he needed to be controlled. It's not like JOB's approach worked better. Rick got a lot more out of Tins than JOB did, and JOB is the one with the wide open offense going at a high pace.

    Maybe he tweaked and prodded Artest to his only AS appearance as a method of "surviving".

    Maybe he tried to make the best of a situation in which his $20m post guy was a shell of his former self...or did Toronto just win a title that I missed?

    Maybe the game he let Jack play was the right game for Jack, as proven by his results in GSt.

    Maybe Dun and Troy aren't as good as Al and Jack were, despite the problems of Al and Jack (Al especially). I mean I'm also waiting on their first playoff appearance and each has now had their "best season ever" post-Rick without taking the team to the playoffs, let alone .500.


    As I repeat ad nuseum till it sinks in around here, Rick dealt with 4 clearly different rosters his first 4 seasons. Detroit turned over a couple of stars from year 1 to year 2 and they went from 2nd round to ECF. Then he comes to a 1st round out team that just lost it's AS center and they go to the ECF, only losing to his former team after they ADD an AS PF for free basically. Then he takes a trainwreck team of suspsensions and injuries to round 2.


    But somehow this dude is just now learning to adapt.

    Does anyone know which roster held the Pacers record for most 3pt attempts prior to JOB's chuck and run teams? That's right, old Mr. Slow Down and Grind himself, Rick Carlisle's roster from 04-05.

    Has there ever been a coach get less respect than Carlisle? His career is now as follows:

    50 wins, 2nd round
    50 wins, ECF
    61 wins, ECF
    44 wins, 2nd round
    41 wins, 1st round
    35 wins, no playoffs
    50 wins, 2nd round (at least)

    That's with 3 different teams and at least 5 pretty distinct core rosters. I'm sorry but when does scoreboard start doing the talking around here. I mean WTF has JOB done since Rick left? 36 wins and 36 wins, and in spite of big time improvements to the overall roster.

    You know how many times Larry Brown went to the 2nd round in his first 6 NBA seasons of coaching? 1 time and with a top win total of 50.

    All it took for him to go beyond 50 wins and get farther in the playoffs was to have a little tiny itty bitty bump from adding flipping David Robinson AND Sean Elliot to his roster at the same time.

    But Larry was a guy who knew how to win in the playoffs and made teams better. I just wonder if Rick could have made the NBA finals if they'd traded JO for Tim Duncan in 2003. Probably not though since the dude can't adapt. Only Larry Brown could pull off that miracle.




    The year they wanted to run he had a good team for it???? F'ing Jackson can't get off the floor or up the court quick enough to get a break flush, Tinsley continued to be a natural disaster in the break even with JOB (good HC PG, terrible on the run due to lanes/decision).

    Seriously they had 1 dude that could run well that season - Rawle flipping Marshall. When that's your main go-to break dude you are barking up the wrong tree to run.

    JO's going to run? Harrington is a running player? No, Al likes to play ole defense and then chuck from the perimeter.

    And if Saras was such a great running PG they why the F couldn't he get in games for the Warriors?


    Rick had a freaking Hum-V and people wanted him to enter it in the USGP.

    Oh, and then they got even quicker after swapping for Dun/Troy, both playing like guys coming off bad seasons caused by injuries and/or mental hangups.

    How did they not win more than 35? Oh, maybe exactly the way JOB has won 36 in back to back years. And this current roster has 10 times the running talent with Jack, Granger (now), Graham, and Rush on the roster. Ford would be there but he almost always calls his own number on breaks.


    I think you are trying to say that I like JOB, I never like Rick and I dont like JOB

  23. #23
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Actually, I think Seth was saying that all Rick did was win basketball games.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  24. #24
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,419

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Huge Carlisle fan, I hated getting rid of him, but all the over-reactionary armchair GMs on forums called for his head, and there he went.

    Like others have said, Carlisle has coached differently on different teams according to the personnel... he ran our offense back when Bird was our coach, and we had a great offense... he had a great defensive team in Detroit and slowed it up, he had a slow team here in Indy and not a good PG, so he slowed it down and called the plays, and now he has play-makers again in Dallas so he loosened the reins.

    He's a great coach, he's going to win some championships someday, no doubt about it.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle loosens reins in Dallas, and the Mavericks blossom(Indy star)

    Are you guys Kidd? Rick has had a ton of talent on his roster, and he's always found a way to mess it up. For instance the Mavs were 26-19 when Rick was calling 70-80 percent of the plays, and 24-13 when Rick wasn't. Basically, they improved by 7%, they were a .580 winning team with rick, and .640ish team with Kidd calling the plays. Basically, when Kidd was running the show instead of the coach, the team became BETTER. What does that say about the coach?

    Granted Josh Howard was out 4 more games under Rick's tenure than under Kidd's, but that's evened out by Terry being out 10 games when Kidd was playing, Dirk out 1, and Damp out 2.

    So basically, Kidd, who had to deal with more injuiries, helped the team's offense better than Rick did, and somehow Rick is a great coach? After being essentially humiliated by a 37 point loss to the Bucks of all teams, after losing by 7 to the Kings and 28 points to the non running, Porter coached Suns, he hands over the reigns to Kidd and they blossom, and you PRAISE him for this?

    I cannot believe this.


    Has a coach been given less credit than Jim O'Brien?

    He took a 12-22 coached Celtics, got them to 24-24 the rest of the way, then got them to the ECF the next year, while having them play the 5th best defense in the league, he follows this up by losing a lot of his good players and still puts them in the playoffs, upsetting our Pacers, then follows this up by somehow getting a team lead by AI to 10th in the league in defense, in which he has a one knee'd Chris Webber, and gets them to the playoffs, (the year before and the year after they missed it, and are worse), and he's called a coach who doesn't know how to play defense?

    I'm completely shocked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •