Thread: For Mellifluous

Hybrid View

Default For Mellifluous

Word of the Day
    Thursday April 30, 2009

Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Previous Words | Subscribe for Free | Help
    Mellifluous \muh-LIF-loo-us\ , adjective:
    Flowing as with honey; smooth; flowing sweetly or smoothly; as, a mellifluous voice.
    The balladeer whose mellifluous voice serenaded two generations of lovers.
    -- Margo Jefferson, "Unforgettable", New York Times, December 26, 1999
    The tones were high-sounding, mellifluous, as if the speaker was reading from a book of old English verse while holding back any trace of sentiment or emotion.
    -- Ken Gormley, Archibald Cox: Conscience of a Nation
    I picked up more mellifluous words when a family friend came over to teach me some Chilean music on my guitar.
    -- Edward Hower, "No Frogs Allowed", New York Times, January 30, 2000

P.S. Mellifluous itself is a fantastically mellifluous word. I wonder if that was the point. Anyway, I gotta give some dap because I love this word and it makes a great handle.
    Last edited by PostArtestEra; 05-01-2009 at 02:59 AM.
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles