Thread: Minnesota

Hybrid View

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Minnesota

I know there have been similar ideas posted about trades with Minnesota, but I think this is the most realistic and favorable for us.

Minnesota gets:

TJ Ford 2 yr, 16.50M
    #13 Overall

Indiana gets:

Brian Cardinal 1 yr, 6.75M
    #18 Overall
    #28 Overall

Timberwolves: They get a huge upgrade at PG and only lose a bench player. They move up in the draft. Minnesota has five picks this year and only have 4 roster spots to fill. I would think that Minny will be making a deal around draft day. They also then have the ability to package the #13 and #5/6 pick to move up if they can work something out (possibly with Washington).

Pacers: This deal would improve our team tremendously. We cut about 8M in salary. It would allow us to have more flexibility in signing Jack. It would fill an extra roster spot with young talent. It gives us another expiring contract for next year. It is important for us to lose one of our big salaries for the 2010-2011 season in which we will have little wiggle room in dealing with the Luxury Tax if we do nothing. This trade alleviates that concern as well. It allows us to fill our team with young depth. I really like this deal. I like TJ, but there needs to be a casualty on our roster and unfortunately it doesn't look to be Tinsley.

Default Re: Minnesota

I we're giving up too much here.

I could see this trade if it were Tinsley and our first. TJ, however, is just too valuable to give away for nothing more than a salary dump.

If we were to do this, I'd consider Cardinal and the 18th pick while letting them keep #28. Or we could do something like getting Mike Miller instead of Cardinal, but I still wouldn't give them #13, I'd just want #28 from them.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I don't know what exact deal would satisfy the Wolves, but trading up to the #13 pick at the expense of taking on Tinsley's additional year of salary would have to be a consideration. If their owner is willing to pay for it, then they should strongly consider it.

They should be looking at quality over quantity.

it seems the Pacers are giving up the two best parts of the trade.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On the surface I agree. However, the 10M we save and the extra first round pick are significant. It makes the Pacers more lean from a salary standpoint. We lose on the talent downgrade from TJ to Cardinal, but I don't think there is much of a difference between 13 and 18 this year. This trade really helps stabilize our salary cap situation this year and next, which I would assume is a high priority for the organization.