Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nba and it's rules

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Nba and it's rules

Is there a certain rule that you would like to amend or get rid of in the Nba?

Here's mine. It may sound stupid, but...

I'd like to see them change the rule to where if a player fouls out in regulation, and you go into overtime, that player can play to 7 fouls. Yeah, it would give that player one last chance, but it could make games more interesting. What are your ideas?
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Default Re: The Nba and it's rules

for the one and done to be done, its pointless. They should change it to two and done.

Sports Logo

The superstar calls. For example, I would like it if LeBron James was called for traveling, instead of promoting it by showing him travel in the NBA "Where Amazing Happens" commercials.

billbradley

if player 1 passes to player 2 and player 2 is fouled while making an attempt and player 2 then makes both free throw shots, player 1 should be credited with an assist

play on after 24 second violation

this will never happen but i wish college ball was eliminated and we operated amateur leagues like overseas

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if player 1 passes to player 2 and player 2 is fouled while making an attempt and player 2 then makes both free throw shots, player 1 should be credited with an assist

this will never happen but i wish college ball was eliminated and we operated amateur leagues like overseas
    what would happen if player 2 only hit 1 free throw? Would player 1 get half an assist? What if it was a 3-pointer?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

No prerecorded music, no sound effects and no announcer while the clock is running. Ever.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    what would happen if player 2 only hit 1 free throw? Would player 1 get half an assist? What if it was a 3-pointer?
    When has the game ever recorded half stats in any category? This isn't football.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

billbradley

miller time, i would say you must hit all free throws given, no half assists

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    The superstar calls. For example, I would like it if LeBron James was called for traveling, instead of promoting it by showing him travel in the NBA "Where Amazing Happens" commercials.
    LOL!
    Yeah, superstar calls are stupid and unfair. In the Magic game tonight, Dwight Howard purposely elbowed Dalembert in the head but all he got was a tech. As much as I like him, that should've been a flagrant. He then accidentally elbowed Courtney Lee and knocked the wind out of him when he was going for a rebound. Imagine how much that would hurt. BTW, he had 24 points and 24 rebs. Not bad for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Is there a certain rule that you would like to amend or get rid of in the Nba?

Here's mine. It may sound stupid, but...

I'd like to see them change the rule to where if a player fouls out in regulation, and you go into overtime, that player can play to 7 fouls. Yeah, it would give that player one last chance, but it could make games more interesting. What are your ideas?
    I think if you foul out in regulation... you're done. I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to giving a player an additional foul in overtime though. So if you can finish regulation with 5 fouls, then you can pick up 2 more in overtime.

Abolishing superstar calls would be high on my list of changes. Hold officials accountable for blown calls, and that would include not calling travels and fouls, or letting superstars draw fouls with mystery contact.

I don't mean put officials in front of a firing squad for missing calls or making a superstar call, but I could see a small fine, reprimand, etc as going a long way toward the league office sending the message that they want the game called evenly and NOT with WWE rules.

Maybe just printing an official list of blown calls each week would have some affect. Whatever is to happen it would have to start with the league admitting superstar calls exist, AND that they are no longer acceptable.
    Last edited by Bball; 04-28-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here are a few changes:

Shooting fouls called only if a player's shot was actually affected by the contact.

No hand checking fouls.

Cut down charges- get out of out the way, it was your fault for turning the ball over in the first place

NO SUPERSTAR CALLS

Just kidding on most of them...sort of

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    When has the game ever recorded half stats in any category? This isn't football.
    so then back to my question....what would you expect to do when a player hits 1 of 2 free throws? Or even when they shoot 3 free throws?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    so then back to my question....what would you expect to do when a player hits 1 of 2 free throws? Or even when they shoot 3 free throws?
    Probably the same way they record assists for 2 and 3 point baskets. Regardless of how many points are scored, the pass still led to points being scored.

This free throw assist stuff is just a stat for ppl to look at it, its not a rule that affects the actual game.

I'll add flopping to the list.

Flopping should be either a non-shooting personal foul or a non-shooting tech.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I'll add flopping to the list.

Flopping should be either a non-shooting personal foul or a non-shooting tech.
    What happened to the league supposedly cracking down on flopping this season with fines? I don't think we've seen one fine.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the rules are just fine. Consistency in calling them is what I would like to see.

On some plays, a defensive three second violation turns into 8-10 seconds. A few plays later, it's around 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post

Yes to both things one hundred times over. I think that even if the player gets one of two points it should be an assist, like LA said.

I would like to add that they need to reexamine the offensive foul and eliminate the circle. If a player comes and knocks a defender over but he happens to have his feet inside the circle, that should still be an offensive foul as long as the defender had position.
    Last edited by rexnom; 04-29-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Oh yeah... Do away with that block/charge circle! Great call there. A player either has position or he doesn't.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Oh yeah... Do away with that block/charge circle! Great call there. A player either has position or he doesn't.
    Then a guy can just stand under the hoop and and draw a charge. It takes a lot away from the offensive player and gives the defensive team a much better advantage. If a guard takes the ball to the hoop and is right there by the basket the big man should be forced to either try and block the shot, or get position for the charge before the guard gets all the way to the hoop. Thats actually a rule I would like to see get revised at the college level to take away cheap charges under the hoop.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    Then a guy can just stand under the hoop and and draw a charge. It takes a lot away from the offensive player and gives the defensive team a much better advantage. If a guard takes the ball to the hoop and is right there by the basket the big man should be forced to either try and block the shot, or get position for the charge before the guard gets all the way to the hoop. Thats actually a rule I would like to see get revised at the college level to take away cheap charges under the hoop.
    True that..

I believe that FIBA are introducing the 'no charge zone' into their rules in 2010.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

They should give coaches 1 option to challenge calls (per half) like they do in the NFL and if the challenge is wrong, they should penalize the challenging team with a time out

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

maybe technical fouls should count as personal fouls. That would stop the likes a player arguing a blantantly obvious call on their 5th foul.

probably remove offensive goaltending and allow the ability to slap a missed shot off the ring.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    maybe technical fouls should count as personal fouls. That would stop the likes a player arguing a blantantly obvious call on their 5th foul.

probably remove offensive goaltending and allow the ability to slap a missed shot off the ring.
    With the way NBA players are built, it would make it too hard to score.

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    Three points:

1.) If a guy is just standing under the basket, I would think that they'd call def 3 sec - they don't have this in college.
    2.) I would like to see guys like LeBron adjust to guys standing underneath the basket instead of just trucking through them. Again, with the athletes we have in the NBA - as opposed to college - I would think that they could do that. And wouldn't that make for a better game? And the power jams wouldn't stop - you still have to have position - but this would eliminate LeBron or Josh Smith charging like bulls through guys and getting not only the field goal but also the foul.
    3.) Cheap charge? A cheap charge is the Lindsay Hunter slide right underneath a player outside the circle to get a charge. If you have position under the basket and you get run over by a guy built like a line backer, you deserve the charge.
    Last edited by rexnom; 04-29-2009 at 02:24 AM.