Thread: I'm bored...

Default I'm bored...

Here's a couple of ideas...

Dunleavy and Tinsley to the Jazz for Kirilenko.

Murphy + ?2010 1st? to the Lakers for a re-signed Lamar Odom.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: I'm bored...

Tinsley and Murphy for Kenyon Martin

Hate to use Troy after a breakout season but something has to give.

It will be interesting to see what Boozer does in Utah.

Dunleavy + Tinsley don't offer any salary relief for the Jazz. They'll be paying just the same money as they are now for AK47, only it'll be for a guy who's return date to the court is unknown and a PG who would be in Sloan's doghouse from Day 1.

The Lakers are over the luxury tax and most likely they'll just let Odom's deal expire, or they'll re-sign him at a reduced salary.

That trade for the Lakers is essentially signing Murphy to a 2 years, $23M contract while being over the luxury tax. Considering the dollar for dollar tax penalty, that's a lot of money for Troy Murphy. A first round pick is nice, but the owner isn't about to pay tens of millions for a draft pick that the Pacers will probably want protected.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We gotta see what Troy is gonna do next season for us. Maybe he can be the MIP if he does better than he did this season.

Without the Pacers playing, so am I...

I'm not so hot on Kmart, but Lamar Odom does sound pretty good if we can land him.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersRule View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without the Pacers playing, so am I...

I'm not so hot on Kmart, but Lamar Odom does sound pretty good if we can land him.
    Odom is very, very, very unlikely to be in a Pacer uniform next year.

He is a FA, but the most the Pacers can offer is the MLE. A lot of other contending teams can offer that and a guy at the stage of Odom's career would sign with one of those teams before he'd sign with a rebuilding team like the Pacers.

Most likely, Odom will want more than the MLE. This means he either has to sign with a team with the cap space (and the Pacers don't have this) or he has to be included in a sign and trade.

A sign and trade with the Lakers requires 3 things to take place:
    1) Odom wants to be with the Pacers
    2) The Pacers and Odom can agree to a contract
    3) The Lakers are willing to accept the salaries and players coming back the other way that matches the salary of the 1st year of Odom's new contract.

Number 1 is pretty unlikely. Number 3 is extremely unlikely, as the Lakers are at the luxury tax thresehold and would prefer Odom just walk away rather than take back extra salary in a sign and trade.

Odom is going to be a FA, I doubt Lakers will resign him to get an injured Dunleavy and Tinsley (who will not fit the triangle offense because of his lack of 3 point shooting skills). I could see the Lakers letting Odom expire and signing Marion with part of their MLE. Lakers would have a deadly starting 5:

Fisher
    Kobe
    Marion
    Gasol
    Bynum
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Odom is going to be a FA, I doubt Lakers will resign him to get an injured Dunleavy and Tinsley (who will not fit the triangle offense because of his lack of 3 point shooting skills). I could see the Lakers letting Odom expire and signing Marion with part of their MLE. Lakers would have a deadly starting 5:

Fisher
    Kobe
    Marion
    Gasol
    Bynum
    I never suggested the Lakers would want Dunleavy and Tinsley. They wouldn't. The Lakers are in a position where they can completely afford to ignore the luxury tax. That doesn't mean they will, but they're going to make money no matter how much they pay in salary. That's the only reason I think they'd even consider a sign & trade with Odom. I could see Murphy being a great fit in the triangle offense, and a great 3rd big behind Gasol and Bynum.

All that being said, I don't think it will happen.

For the record I think the Lakers will re-sign Ariza and then stand pat with their team. I can't see them bringing in Shawn Marion.

Utah has to be getting a little bit desperate. They finished 8th in the Western Conference and got handled fairly easily in the first round. While both players are risky, a healthy Dunleavy and a healthy Tinsley represent a talent upgrade over Kirilenko. It's a gamble for the Jazz, but I don't think they're in a position to stand pat and have any reasonable hope of improvement.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Utah has to be getting a little bit desperate. They finished 8th in the Western Conference and got handled fairly easily in the first round. While both players are risky, a healthy Dunleavy and a healthy Tinsley represent a talent upgrade over Kirilenko. It's a gamble for the Jazz, but I don't think they're in a position to stand pat and have any reasonable hope of improvement.
    That's a bit of a stretch.

For one thing, what is Utah desperate for? The West is wide open righ now and their best player is still very young and plays a premium position. Denver was in a malaise of 1st round exits and all of a sudden shot up to the #2 seed this year. Something similar can happen next year with the right move, and it doesn't have to be a despeartion move.

Kirilenko, for all the criticism he takes, is Utah's best defensive player and replacing him with Dunleavy up front severly weakens them on that end of the floor. And that's to say nothing about the fact that nobody knows when Dunleavy is actually going to return.

Tinsley and Sloan? I don't see a happy ending to that one.

Utah will have some decisions to make this offseason, no doubt, as does New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston and Denver (with all their FAs). I just don't see them desperate enough to trade for a 32 year old PG who hasn't played in 1.5 years and would butt heads with their coach to go along with a guy who's return date is a complete unknown, all the while getting no cap relief.