Thread: Camcorder advice

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question Camcorder advice

As some of you already know, I graduated a few months ago with a Bachelor's in Media Arts and Science. With my primary focus being in video, I want to purchase a camcorder in order to start assembling a quality resume.

However, as some of you also already know, I'm not exactly Mr. Moneybags, so I need a cheap "starter" camcorder, if you will, that isn't complete crap. By cheap, I mean preferably no more than $300.

I was looking around and this caught my attention, though it almost seems too good to be true for the price, unless I'm missing something.

Btw, anyone who suggests a Toshiba product is banned. And then I will come to your house, and I will CUT you.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Camcorder advice

The color fits your persona.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Funny you bring this up ...

I was just talking this morning to an actor friend of mine and he recommended that I get a refurbished Sony from the Sony website - he just said to get the most expensive one I could afford.

He didn't speak highly of Sony's continued use of the proprietary "memory stick" calling them junk and a waste of time, but he did speak highly of the brand's solid construction.

Another thing he mentioned was that the lower end models that say "HD" are sometimes not as good as the ones that have bigger lenses but are not HD.

In other words, the picture is HD, but is blurry and jaggedy because of the small lens, where the non-HD image is clear and crisp with a better lens and a better zoom feature.

I'm just guessing on this, but judging from all of those comments, he seems to prefer a camera like this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665291514
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

It really depends on where you going to use it. If you need a mic input. Hard Drive, DVD, or memory stick? Optical zoom is more important than HD in your price range.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Optical zoom is more important than HD in your price range.
    That's a better way of putting it. This mirrors my pal's comments.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Optical zoom is more important than HD in your price range.
    totally agree. another thing to look at is how the camera works in low light areas. Cheaper ones tend to be grainy.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    totally agree. another thing to look at is how the camera works in low light areas. Cheaper ones tend to be grainy.
    Yes. I bought a canon TX1. It is clearer than clear in day time. But once inside the thing is grainier than the Sahara. And it is a 12X Optical Zoom. Note Optical not Digital.

Get a flip! Cheap and easy.

You'll never use the cheapo Sonycam after you get a better camera, but you'll still use the Flip.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!