Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Painter taken in 6th round

Banned

Default Curtis Painter taken in 6th round

http://beta.indystar.com/article/200...32/1004/SPORTS

Mike Chappell
    Purdue fans, here's your chance to chime in.

Default Re: Curtis Painter taken in 6th round

Maybe we should put him in at LB.

Seriously, I'm not as down on him as some of my fellow Purdue brethern, but he's not any good. But then, neither is Orton.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorgi has got to be lookin' over his shoulder. He's got to feel disrespected with the way the Colts went about this whole thing. I mean, he's been holding the clipboard here for years, honing his technique and continually adding little things like perfecting his angle so that his papers aren't affected by the wind or glare from the sunlight. And don't even get me started on the headset skills that Painter could never hope to match. For him to have dedicated himself to such pursuits only to have the Colts brass punch him in the gut and bring in this young upstart kid in , I'd demand a trade, Cutler style.

woman without a team

It's pretty obvious to me that Peyton wanted a rookie he could haze in training camp.

Sounds like a garage sale move. I wonder who else Bill will get rid of on his 'we're going out of business everything must go' crusade. I have no problem with it actually considering if Peyton goes down we really don't have a quarterback.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no problem with it actually considering if Peyton goes down we really don't have a quarterback.
    Have you seen Curtis Painter play? We'd be better off bringing back Tony Dungy and have him be quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Have you seen Curtis Painter play? We'd be better off bringing back Tony Dungy and have him be quarterback.
    Did you see how pathetic Purdue's recievers were last year. Nobody was ever open, and if they were, Mr. LT couldn't protect the blind side for %@#*.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm (hopefully) about to graduate Purdue next month, and I've been at Purdue pretty much the same time Painter has been at Purdue. We're actually in the same major (Computer Graphics - although I'm pretty sure his focus is in construction graphics while I'm in interactive multimedia.) I'm glad he got drafted because he's actually a really good guy. Anyways, I didn't get season tickets this year, but from what I can remember from this season was that he was bothered by a shoulder injury for most of the year. I doubt he's here to replace Sorgi - they even said during the post-draft press conference that he'll (most likely) be the third QB on the roster because they haven't been able to have 3 QBs in a while.

FYI - I've seen some of his projects he's done for CGT. Let's just say it's a good thing he's got drafted

I never saw Purdue this year, but the draftniks say he was good the year before, and then lost all of his capable receivers.

QBs are a crap shoot. I think if he has the intelligence, size, and arm strength then he's as good a gamble as anybody. My impression was that the Ball State QB is more of a playmaker, though he is small. I hadn't head any projections about Painter getting picked and was surprised he got picked before the Michigan State QB, who also apparently had little help his senior year (He has now signed as an undrafted FA with the Patriots).

Mood

I think Painter has all the physical tools to hold a clipboard in the NFL or maybe even play, but I don't think he has a quarterback's mind (or mindset, whichever is more applicable.) He's never impressed me with his decision making.

A quarterback who needs great receivers to make him look good is not a good quarterback.

Wasn't that why Dan Marino fell to the bottom of the 1st round in the draft in 1983, and was the 5th QB selected? His senior year he had lost all of his best receivers and his stats dropped way off?

I'm not comparing anyone to Marino, just pointing out that bad receivers (particularly with a lot of drops) can make any QB look a whole lot worse. In the case of Dan Marino, he looked worse than Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason.

I'm not big on Painter. It's not his arm, which is decent but what's between the ears and how he responds to pressure. OTOH, if he's going against Sorgi I think his chances are pretty good. Maybe you'll keep an emergency QB this year.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    A quarterback who needs great receivers to make him look good is not a good quarterback.
    I want to throw up after hearing that. I mean why don't we through you out there against a good corner and see if Manning could hit you.

It all matters is my point. The line the recievers and the qb. You give a old has been QB good talent at wide reciever and you have one of the most prolific offensives in the nfl. Kurt Warner

Take away those recievers and you have Matt Hasselback who is just as brainy as Manning.

Take away Moss from Culpepper and a year later he lost all his ability. Now give Moss a bad qb in Oakland and he sucks too.

Take away the rams wide recievers from Marc Bulger and he gets benched. Do the same to McNabb and he gets benched.

These are just the qbs that we know are good and I guarantee you that many qbs who have fallen in to mediocrity becuase they were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I'm not big on Painter. It's not his arm, which is decent but what's between the ears and how he responds to pressure. OTOH, if he's going against Sorgi I think his chances are pretty good. Maybe you'll keep an emergency QB this year.
    Its really to earlier to say. If he has a strong work ethic he could be a Matt Cassel or whomever. No one knew Brady was going to be this good as a 6th round pick from Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I want to throw up after hearing that. I mean why don't we through you out there against a good corner and see if Manning could hit you.
    Did you even watch Purdue play this year? It's not like Greg Orton and Desmond Tardy were chopped liver. Painter just didn't have Bryant and Keller to bail him out.

I know how Purdue looked in 2007 and in 2008.

All I am saying is that qbs are judged too soon in their pro careers and people seem to think that they can just make anything out of nothing.

I mean the bears had very little for Kyle Orton to work with and he still had a Qb rating close to 80.0. It wasn't that long ago that Purdue fans were grabing for the feathers and tar for him too.

I wish them both best and thats not because I am a homer but just someone that understands that a lot goes into a teams offense besides the QB.

Its really to earlier to say. If he has a strong work ethic he could be a Matt Cassel or whomever. No one knew Brady was going to be this good as a 6th round pick from Michigan.
    Maybe but he'll have to learn not to throw the ball up for grabs whenever a rusher gets within 5 feet of him.

Maybe but he'll have to learn not to throw the ball up for grabs whenever a rusher gets within 5 feet of him.
    You act like this years Purdue line was unstoppable. I basically blame Tillers lack of pre-retirement recruiting. TO many fishing trips and not enough trips to Texas.

Still one of the best coaches Purdue has had.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Boo-urns.

I see zero point in drafting Curis Painter (myself) the Colts brass seemed to think more of Curits Painter than Graham Harrell. He cannot do any worse than J Load & Jacksonville guy did in the pre season last year. Manning is getting up in years might as well have a local kid getting some Playing Time and learning the offense.

Travmil I also agree that Sorgi should go Jay Cutler on the organization as well. Where is the love?

Jonathan,

See RWB quote. This move is to get rid of Sorgi after this year. Saves money and gives the colts another try at a diamond in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Sounds like a garage sale move. I wonder who else Bill will get rid of on his 'we're going out of business everything must go' crusade. I have no problem with it actually considering if Peyton goes down we really don't have a quarterback.

Painter has all the physical skills Sorgi has and more. The ability to be a better backup is there. His problem at Purdue -- to me, a general lack of confidence, especially when players couldn't help him through bad stretches -- is something that can be solved by being around Manning. If he can get into the backup mind-set, I've got no problem with this pick. He's not an NFL starter, but that wasn't what he was selected to be.

You act like this years Purdue line was unstoppable.
    I don't care how good the line is - he could still throw it out of bounds instead of lobbing it to the defensive backfield.

I don't care how good the line is - he could still throw it out of bounds instead of lobbing it to the defensive backfield.
    Probably the worst throw I remember was against Ohio State, I think. Painter rolls right, there's no one on the right side of the field and he throws it directly to an OSU linebacker on the sideline. The other four, and maybe two more, closest guys to that throw were all wearing red.

At times, it seemed like he had grown tired of thinking about making good decisions and was just heaving.