Thread: Help - CD player quit in my car - advice on what I should replace it with

Default Help - CD player quit in my car - advice on what I should replace it with

So a few weeks ago a CD got stuck in my car CD player - finally able to get it out - but now it spits out whatever I put in there. This was a factory installed CD player - so I guess 4 years of use was pretty good.

So now I am looking to get it replaced - starting looking at Best Buy - not really sure what to get . Keep in mind I have never bought a car stereo before - always just stuck with factory installed version.

I'm not really looking to spend much money. Certainly want a CD player - AM/FM stereo - planning on having the car for another 5 or 6 years though - so I would like something that will last that long. If I could keep the cost for everyting under $200 - that would be great

Also intrigued by satelitte radio - that would be really nice - and of course if I decide to go that rout - I would expect to pay more. But then you read where it looks like they might be going under. Do they still have the NBA talk channel - and can you still get local stations

Anyone have any thoughts. I'm really a newby in this
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-24-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Help - CD player quit in my car - advice on what I should replace it with

Buy Pioneer. I've always have had their stereos. You can get a nice one for around $200. Best Buy also does a great job on installation.

I would wait on Satellite Radio. SiriusXM are still having major financial troubles, which led me to cancel my service of 5 years. You have to switch back over to AM/FM to get local stations. They have their own in-house radio stations. It wasn't bad until they started putting commercials in their "commercial-free" radio service.

Default Re: Help - CD player quit in my car - advice on what I should replace it with

UB, do you plan on switching out any of the speakers as well? If not then I'd go with whatever is the cheapest.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UB, do you plan on switching out any of the speakers as well? If not then I'd go with whatever is the cheapest.
    No I'm not and that was exactly what I was thinking. I probably listen to talk radio close 70% of the time anyway and the other 30% of the time I listen to CD's - But Satellite Radio interests me - but I worry about that for reasons that Duke mentions.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No I'm not and that was exactly what I was thinking. I probably listen to talk radio close 70% of the time anyway and the other 30% of the time I listen to CD's - and I'm not really picky about things sounding great. But Satellite Radio interests me - but I worry about that for reasons that Duke mentions.
    Honestly, when they started having commercials in 2006, it all went downhill.

For the past 3 years we've had billing issues to where they'd take almost double of the payment that we were supposed to pay when it was due. We've been getting deals in e-mails from XM giving us discounts for being with them for so long, and they keep charging us more than full price!

Programming, sure, you get talk and ESPN radio, but they are the same shows you get say with 1070theFan except Dakich and The Dumb and Dumber Show.

I used to swear by XM and wouldn't touch terrestrial radio until about January of this year. It's pretty bad now.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Honestly, when they started having commercials in 2006, it all went downhill.

For the past 3 years we've had billing issues to where they'd take almost double of the payment that we were supposed to pay when it was due. We've been getting deals in e-mails from XM giving us discounts for being with them for so long, and they keep charging us more than full price!

Programming, sure, you get talk and ESPN radio, but they are the same shows you get say with 1070theFan except Dakich and The Dumb and Dumber Show.

I used to swear by XM and wouldn't touch terrestrial radio until about January of this year. It's pretty bad now.
    Do they still have the NBA talk station?

Unless you plan on cruisin' the circle just get the most affordable name brand. If I were to purchase one, something I'd look for is an aux input so I could plug in Ipod's etc... without clunky adapters.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get an iPod.

Mood

I think so, but it isn't worth the $12.99 a month they charge. And the prices are probably going to go up again. They sent us a letter before I made the decision to renew or not telling us to renew by a certain date to lock in our price.

Nope.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    UIf I were to purchase one, something I'd look for is an aux input so I could plug in Ipod's etc... without clunky adapters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Get an iPod.
    Exactly. Get an AM/FM radio (digital? anybody done that yet?) with an 1/8" jack input. Plug in an mp3 player and away you go.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What's the scoop on HD radio these days?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    What's the scoop on HD radio these days?
    They are promoting the heck out of it on Q95 and 1070theFan. (The only two stations I listen to at least.)

sweabs

I would highly recommend satellite radio. Of course, I firmly believe they will make it out of this "slump", and SiriusXM is just too good to pass up on. Once you've experienced it, you can't go back to normal terrestrial radio. I've had Sirius for over 3 years now and never experienced any issues. Sure, it is too bad that the NBA station is gone, but there is more than enough to fill my boots. There are no commercials on the music stations at all...and just so much variety. If you have a wide range of tastes when it comes to music, which I do, you will love it. It doesn't matter what you're in the mood for, Sirius will have a station for it.

If you want XM Radio there are plenty of capable head units out their satellite radio ready. I personally recommend Alpine. I also would recommend getting an axillary jack in the front as others have mentioned.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    I would highly recommend satellite radio. Of course, I firmly believe they will make it out of this "slump", and SiriusXM is just too good to pass up on. Once you've experienced it, you can't go back to normal terrestrial radio. I've had Sirius for over 3 years now and never experienced any issues. Sure, it is too bad that the NBA station is gone, but there is more than enough to fill my boots. There are no commercials on the music stations at all...and just so much variety. If you have a wide range of tastes when it comes to music, which I do, you will love it. It doesn't matter what you're in the mood for, Sirius will have a station for it.
    I've had XM since 2003, and I said I'd never go back to terrestrial radio.

I did and I am still alive.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I disconnected my Cable TV and kept my satellite radio. that's how good it is.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I disconnected my Cable TV and kept my satellite radio. that's how good it is.
    I have done the same thing. Sorry, Duke - just differing opinions.

I get that people like sat radio.

But has anybody tried digital radio?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    I have done the same thing. Sorry, Duke - just differing opinions.
    I disconnected my cable, too...and got DirecTV.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

So that's your suggestion for Unclebuck's car?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I disconnected my cable as well. But then ran a line to my neighbors house so I get it for free. Plus a rock is no match for a car window and the shopping is easy. What kind of radio did Buck say he needs? P.S. It's just a joke because yes I've had the wonderful experience of seeing glass around my car as I was walking up to it.

UB, just get the $70 dollar basic cd/fm by JVC and forget it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I've enjoyed all the great suggestions in this thread - really appreciate it.

But you'll never believe what happened over the weekend. I got into my car Sunday morning and figured - why not try the CD player again, so I put a disc in and although it seemed to take a little longer than normal to start playing - it did, so I tried a different CD (ones I had tried a few days earlier) and they all worked.

So for now, I'm good. have a feeling it is still on its last leg - but that is better than no leg

Mood

8-Trac