Thread: So.... Joss Whedon

Default So.... Joss Whedon

Ok, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time but I guess I am just now getting to it.

I know there are a lot of Joss Whedon fans out there and several here on this board.

Why?

I don't mean that in a disparaging way, I mean that as a sincere question.

What is it about his tv shows or movies or books that you really like?

For whatever reason I just can't get into his work. What's funny is he deals with issues that I would normally find appealing (Vampires, Scifi, comics, etc.) but I can't think of one single thing he has ever done that I went "wow".

I mean I tried to like firefly and frankly out of all the work I have seen from him this is probably the only one I even remotely like, but even that is pushing it.

In fact I kind of put him with Kevin Smith in what I think are one trick pony's, people who have one thing to say and can't really get beyond that. Bear in mind I was a huge Kevin Smith fan back in the day but now I can't even watch anything he does anymore because he is just stuck in one type of storytelling (IMO anyway).

What is it I'm not getting?

Please be gentle.

Default Re: So.... Joss Whedon

Hot women who kick ***. Duh.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Firefly is the only thing of his that I have liked a lot. And I liked it a lot, for sure. Kegboy's observation holds true there...Summer Glau (!), and other than that, a well thought out universe as setting, humorous and exciting scripts, and a well-tuned ensemble. What's not to like?

Never really got into his earlier TV, and Dollhouse has disappointed. To some extent, I expected another Firefly, and that didn't happen.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just liked Dr.Horrible, his other stuff is good, but not my cup of joe.

Characters and dialogue...admittedly missing for large portions of Dollhouse.

I am a huge Whedon fan, so I'll need to get back to this later. This is a taste thing, so it's difficult to clearly articulate. It's a little bit like asking somebody why they like or don't like sausage or sushi or chocolate vs. strawberry.

Of course, hot chicks kickin' *** doesn't hurt.

What count said, plus I think in my case I was the right age for it when I got into it (really got into Buffy/Angel in my teens). I kind of grew with the shows, and then Firefly was more adult than they were (usually).

Because I like a good fugue, and Dr. H had three.

Honestly, "On the Rise" is one of the best I've ever seen.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Been trying to figure out how to respond - sometimes you like a show just because you like it.

As a preface, so far Dollhouse has been a big disappointment for me. You've had one excellent episode (9), one good episode (6), one episode that might be important later (8) and a bunch of crap. The last 3 eps have got to be strong to build something for next season, if it gets picked up. As I've learned with Lost and Heroes, my patience is not limitless.

As a second preface, I first started watching Buffy with episode 1 of season 3. And I think it was the perfect storm of an ep to get me hooked because of the combination of darkness, teenage angst and great dialogue - as well as a really good fight scene. Not sure watching the first ep of either of the first 2 seasons would have done that.

Now - pretty much what Count said. Whedon is excellent at character development - and not in a static way. His characters change, adapt and respond to what they're going through as well as - maybe better than - any television series characters I've seen. His heroes have moments of darkness and despair - and do some pretty despicable things sometimes. His villains have moments of nobility and glory. Can you forget Mayor Wilkins' speech in the cafeteria about Angel's and Buffy's relationship? Or even the Master talking to Buffy about the paradox of prophecies? And what about Spike?

Then there's the dialogue. Of course the dialogue makes the character but it's always good - sharp, quick-moving. And interspersed are moments of brilliance.

Finally we have plot. If you can sink into their worlds, what's going on matters. It's important. And Whedon has a way of arcing the stories so the last 4-5 episodes of each season carry a great deal of tension until things are resolved (except Buffy Season 6 which was the last 3 and even those not as good).

Obviously, the different shows appeal to different people. I was a huge Buffy fan, a mild Angel fan (until the last season which I thought had more energy than any of the 1st 4) and I came to love Firefly but quite frankly, I thought the 1st 6-7 eps were pretty mediocre. And so far Dollhouse has done nothing for me.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire