Thread: Your on the clock and he's there.....

Default Your on the clock and he's there.....

The Colts are on the clock and pot smoking Percy Harvin drops down to the Colts at #27. Do you take a chance he could be a good replacement for Marvin? Do you think if he was arrogant enough to be puffing away before the combine he won't change or did he make a mistake and the Colts could get a great skill pick at this surprising number?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Your on the clock and he's there.....

I'd pick the best DT available and get Harvin in round 2, maybe even 3, since he's destroyed his stock that much. In this day and age, no team is gonna use a first rounder on a guy that tested positive DURING the combine which is probably the most important day in his career up to that point.
    Last edited by travmil; 04-23-2009 at 09:47 AM.

The furthest he will fall is to the beginning of the 2nd round. Harvin reminds me of Reggie Bush quite a bit. I think he is going be a fantastic 3rd down back/slot receiver/KR/PR assuming he doesn't have many off the field issues.

The Colts cannot win the playoffs for two reasons:

Lack of a run game

Special Teams

It has nothing to do with defense. Our defense played solid against San Diego the last two years in the playoffs.

I hope that Moreno drops to them @ 27. Unless they have the RB Mc Coy (Pitt) ranked ahead of him.

I would not object to drafting a LB or DT either.

Harvin does have big play potential but are we better looking at Hakeem Nicks in the second round and adressing the lack of run game in the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd pick the best DT available and get Harvin in round 2, maybe even 3, since he's destroyed his stock that much. In this day and age, no team is gonna use a first rounder on a guy that tested positive DURING the combine which is probably the most important day in his career up to that point.
    If Andre Smith of Alabama drops to 27 do we look @ him? I say Yes.

James Laurnaitis
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    James Laurnaitis
    The colts will not draft James Laurnaitis. He is too slow wouldn't fit the system. He bascially is Rob Morris's clone who was a late first round pick if I remember right.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-23-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    The Colts are on the clock and pot smoking Percy Harvin drops down to the Colts at #27. Do you take a chance he could be a good replacement for Marvin? Do you think if he was arrogant enough to be puffing away before the combine he won't change or did he make a mistake and the Colts could get a great skill pick at this surprising number?
    In my opinion the Colts will be very hard press to find a player that will allow the Peyton to go deep which he loves to do. The offense is also predicated on spreading out the opposing defense with deep post routes.

I really don't think there will be a WR in the first round that will allow the Colts to do what they have done in the past. Bey from Maryland is the only one that could fall and that is highly unlikely. Harvey to me is just not that special. A good play maker but a guy you could pick up in the later rounds.

Almost all of the other WR that project in the 1-2 round are tall and slow. Brain Ronbiskie, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks all run the 40ty in the 4.5 range.

My prediction is that Polian will be chopping at the bit for Bey but he won't drop to the colts which be will either have to trade up to get him or get a less talented version in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. IF we take Ronbiskie, Britt, or Nicks then say good bye to peytons deep ball.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-23-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Just some stats to add to the discussion:

Reggie Wayne had catches of 30 or more yards in 7 games last year.
    Dallas Clark had catches of 30 or more yards in 2 games last year.
    Anthony Gonzalez had catches of 30 of more yards in 2 games last year.
    Marvin Harrison had catches of 30 of more yards in 2 games last year.

I really liked the little we saw out of Garcon. I'd love to hear what Peyton thinks of him.

Just to add some perspective.

Eagles rookie Deshaun Jackson had catches of 30 or more yards in 5 games last year.

Cardinals 3rd reciever Steve Breaston had catches of 30 or more yards in 7 games last year.

The lowly Bills Lee Evans had catches of 30 or more yards in 7 games last year.

In 2007-2008 Peyton had a QB rating of 98-95

In 2004-2006 Peyton had a QB rating of 121-104-101.

Peytons 2008 season is right up there with Chad Pennington 97.4 and Matt Schuab's 92.7 QB ratings. Peytons QB rating has declined as the talent around him has declined.

Without 3 good WR's the colts will struggle.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-23-2009 at 05:55 PM.

To me, Manning's ever-so-slight decline is by far a product of the talent on the offensive line declining/being injured than it is the talent at WR, TE and RB.

Glenn out, Ugoh in. Lilja hurt. Saturday hurt. Jake Scott gone. Ryan Diem a revolving door on occasion. Pollak, Justice and Richard getting a lot of time early.

Addai, Clark and Harrison's issues certainly hurt. But I think you could put in qualified backups and Peyton gets the job done the same as always. Of course, the Colts didn't have those sometimes -- Mike Hart, Gijon Robinson, Bryan Fletcher, Aaron Morehead (!), etc. Those are try-hard guys that Peyton makes look way better than they are.

I think the point can easily be argued either way. But I'd say that the Colts don't need first-round talent for Peyton to be Peyton. Spend that top pick on defense, get the o-line healthy and find skill position talent somewhere between the second and fourth round for a change. I'm not saying make a reach, but there's enough guys on the board that we can get a third-round RB to back up Addai.

I think Polian had the right idea going and getting a guy like Tamme in the fourth. Obviously he hasn't proven much, and he's not Dallas Clark, but the Colts thought he could serve as a capable backup. I imagine they think he'll be better than Fletcher -- a guy Manning made look good back when he had an offensive line.

Look at the guys who touch the football:

Addai -- 1st round
    Hart -- 6th
    Simpson, Ball, Dawson -- UDFA
    Clark -- 1st
    Tamme -- 4th
    Santi -- 6th
    Robinson -- UDFA
    Wayne -- 1st
    Gonzalez -- 1st
    Garcon -- 6th
    Hall -- 5th

Just not a lot of middle-round work on the offense. It doesn't have to be first round or wait until late Sunday. That's just the way it's played out.
    Last edited by Kraft; 04-23-2009 at 10:45 PM.

KRAFT
    I think Ball is a very decent back up RB. I will put the over under @ 1 on the Colts drafting an offensive lineman. Everyone is thinking WR but you cannot be upset if we draft D-line or Linebacker. What is good about having the number 27 pick is that somebody will drop down to them.

Keep in mind when Peyton was throwing those long bombs they were set up by the playaction pass. Is Addai a shell of his former self? If you think Yes then the Colts need to take a good strong look @ drafting a RB. If they draft a RB do they trade Addai for a draft pick? I do not know.

Harvin is dumb as a box of rocks. Failing his drug test (which I think is based upon urine, not a hair sample) means he used within 2 weeks of the combine, most likely.

Then he score 12 on the Wonderlic, which is just about the level of being illiterate.

You better count on having to yell "Run, Percy, Run!" like they did for Forrest Gump in the movie if you draft him.

He strikes me as a 2nd round pick of the Raiders, to be honest.

Kraft

If you look at the 2007-8 season Peyton numbers drop not as a result of him being hurt. Any way you look at it if the O-line was at fault you would see a drastic increase in sacks/pressures. I just didn't see that much of an increase the last 2 years. He is still one of the least sacked QB.

You should look at Manning entire career and the guys who have touched the ball. Majority of touches come from 1st round talent.

At certian positions I think it is really important to draft early (WR, LT,) and we don't have time to develop a WR with Peyton getting up there in years.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Harvin is dumb as a box of rocks. Failing his drug test (which I think is based upon urine, not a hair sample) means he used within 2 weeks of the combine, most likely.

Then he score 12 on the Wonderlic, which is just about the level of being illiterate.

You better count on having to yell "Run, Percy, Run!" like they did for Forrest Gump in the movie if you draft him.

He strikes me as a 2nd round pick of the Raiders, to be honest.
    Good analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    At certian positions I think it is really important to draft early (WR, LT,) and we don't have time to develop a WR with Peyton getting up there in years.
    I'm not sure there's any receivers in the draft that won't have to develop before becoming useful, especially with what Manning demands.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's my thought on a receiver. We don't need one. Not this year. Reggie, while not an all time great like Marvin, is very good and has been "the man" for two seasons now. Gonzo isn't ever going to be as good as Reggie but he doesn't have to be. I'd settle for him being as good as Stokely, which is possible. Now you have to choose who you want to put on the other side of Reggie, (Garcon or Hall) while keeping in mind that Peyton still has Clark to bail him out if he needs him. In terms of the offense clicking, it is MUCH more important that the O-line do it's job than to draft a WR. If they think that the O-line they drafted last year is going to be healthy and improve, they will draft a DT. If Peria Jerry is still there by any chance it will probably be him.

Mood

I'd stay as far away from Harvin as I could get. I like the idea of going Defense for once and focusing on the DT spot. We need beef in there and since Pitcock threw a wrench in the plans last year, we still need a 300lb guy or close to it in the middle. I don't fault the guys we already have there, they just aren't the big beef that we need. I think WR will be ok with some of the guys we have in Garcon and Hall. The running game will be better because the O-line will have more consistency and Addai will be healthy hopefully.