Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird to give "season post mortem" at 10am today, there will be live Indystar.com feed

Default Re: Larry Bird to give "season post mortem" at 10am today, there will be live Indystar.com feed

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

iv) instead try to obtain a non-star veteran PF who isn't currently signed to a long-term contract and who's known for his D and can score a bit in the post

Best guess??
    Darko for Tinsley.

Default Re: Larry Bird to give "season post mortem" at 10am today, there will be live Indystar.com feed

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Besides the MLE, do we have any cap space available for FA signings? DrFife mentioned Gooden which was a good mention. We could use part of the MLE on him. But im pretty sure we dont have cap space to spend because Granger's extension will kick in soon

It would be nice if Boozer would accept the MLE, but I think he'll be getting more from a team like Detroit. I just realized that Boozer has a $12 million player option. My guess is that hes going to exercise his option because of all the time he missed this season, his value might have dropped. Which means that Milsap will be an restricted FA. I think Milsap should be given a $6 - $7 million / season. When he got the mins, he produced.

Also, Brandon Bass is FA. Im sure we should pick him up for cheap and have him come off the bench. I would love to see Hibbert and Milsap be our front court and have Bass come off the bench
    I think this all depends if we pick up Marquise's option. Larry will have decide if the risk of loosing Marquise and not getting Dun back healthy is worth the cap space.

I would love to see Hibbert and Milsap be our front court and have Bass come off the bench
    Why do the Pacers want 2 undersized PF's?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Why do the Pacers want 2 undersized PF's?
    Apparently not making sense makes sense these days.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Apparently not making sense makes sense these days.
    I think we need to follow Chicago's lead. They picked up Tyrus and he has been an absolute beast on defense in the playoffs. He's long and athletic. Not a huge mass but very quick off his feet. With this type of player we can still run. If we picked up a banger that needs to score off the block to be effective, I think this may set us back. imo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From Conrad...

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700035807

Bird anticipates "creative" moves in offseason
    Apr 21, 2009
    In his just-concluded year-end press briefing, Larry Bird didn't break any major news but the Pacers President made several interesting and perhaps telling points.

Like Coach Jim O'Brien, he believes the key to significant improvement for 2009-10 begins with the defense. But he differs from O'Brien's stance that it's primarily a matter of personnel. Bird said he believes "(the players) have more in them" than was apparent in 2008-09.

One of the keys to internal improvement defensively will rest with Danny Granger, who needs to "take leadership on the defensive end," Bird said. "When he does that, the other players will follow him."

Bird would like to add a post player to strengthen the inside game at both ends of the floor but indicated that need would much more likely be filled with a veteran player through a trade or free agency than in the draft.

The interest in another post player is in no way an indicator of a lack of faith in Roy Hibbert, who started 42 games as a rookie but struggled with foul trouble, but rather reflects a desire to strengthen the overall frontcourt rotation.

Though the Pacers fell short of the playoffs in 2008-09, Bird was pleased that "we've changed the culture" of the team, playing a style that fans enjoy with players that not only avoided off-court trouble but actively reached out to the community.

If not for the injury to Mike Dunleavy, Bird believes the Pacers would've made the playoffs in 2009.

Uncertainty over Dunleavy's return could change the team's plans for free agent Marquis Daniels. It has been generally assumed the Pacers would not pick up the option on Daniels' contract but Bird said he'd consider re-signing Daniels "if we feel Mike won't be back in time."

Bird will make a qualifying offer to and would like to re-sign Jarrett Jack, who he believed made progressive improvement throughout the season to the point he "was one of our best clutch players" in the second half of the season.

Because of the recession and the potential for a dramatic reduction in the salary cap, Bird said the franchise needs to be prepared for a variety of possibilities in the free agent market this summer. "I see a major change in free agency in this league," he said.

Bird believes the Pacers might be able to split the mid-level exception to sign two free agents as well as retain Jack, assuming the price is right. "We've got to be creative with what we do this summer," he said.

The point guard position is in good hands with Jack and T.J. Ford. "They both can get the job done," Bird said.

He has not talked to ownership about a contract extension, saying he'd prefer "a handshake agreement" to continue in his current role.

He has not talked to O'Brien, whose contract also expires after the 2009-10 season, about an extension.

Bird said he will make an effort to re-sign free agent Josh McRoberts "because with his athletic ability, he could be a big plus for us this year."

Though O'Brien also said his wish list includes drafting a bigger, more athletic point guard to develop, Bird said the point guards in this year's draft are generally small. "It's nice to have a wish list," Bird said with a smile. "I'd like to have $30 million to spend."
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

So, it seems Bird isn't looking PF in the draft and there are no big point guards, by his estimation. I wonder if this just means best available player, which really is what they should do anyway to improve the overall talent period, imo.

I keep thinking a guy like Joe Smith.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    I think we need to follow Chicago's lead. They picked up Tyrus and he has been an absolute beast on defense in the playoffs. He's long and athletic. Not a huge mass but very quick off his feet. With this type of player we can still run. If we picked up a banger that needs to score off the block to be effective, I think this may set us back. imo
    In fact, I think the Bulls lost last night because they played Brad Miller over Tyrus Thomas down the stretch.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Okay, I'm following. How do we obtain him?

The Bulls didn't exactly "pick up" Tyrus Thomas, they drafted him with the second overall pick.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by stevo

(Bird) made comments like he is happy with JOB but I just got this impression that this was just a smoke screen.

Stevo, could you explain why you think the statement was a smoke screen?

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    The Bulls didn't exactly "pick up" Tyrus Thomas, they drafted him with the second overall pick.
    They drafted LaMarcus Aldridge with the second overall pick, then traded him to Portland for Thomas (4th pick) and Victor Khryapa (sp?).

See...easy-peasy?

Get it done.

Besides the MLE, do we have any cap space available for FA signings?
    No.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    So, it seems Bird isn't looking PF in the draft and there are no big point guards, by his estimation. I wonder if this just means best available player, which really is what they should do anyway to improve the overall talent period, imo.

I keep thinking a guy like Joe Smith.
    Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I would hope that IF the Cavs win this season ( GO CAVS! ) and he gets his ring...Smith might be willing to go for the $$$ instead of remaining with the Cavs.

But I'm guessing that Joe Smith will have plenty of interest in him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I would hope that IF the Cavs win this season ( GO CAVS! ) and he gets his ring...Smith might be willing to go for the $$$ instead of remaining with the Cavs.

But I'm guessing that Joe Smith will have plenty of interest in him.
    I agree, a similar deal is like for Donyell Marshall. He had all 11 points in the 4th quarter come back for Phillie the other night. He's not really what they are looking for, but he's a vet who could contribute in Obies offense and probably come on the cheap.

I agree with stevo that there is some smoke screen going on with Larry Bird and this supposed "handshake deal". If Larry resigns, then I think it puts JOB in a bad situation - players and people around the team wonder why is JOB not being re-upped if LB is. So by saying there is a handshake agreement with the Simons, it keeps from being pressured to resign JOB right now - when it maybe obvious that they really want a new coach after next year and don't want to lose the money on paying JOB when he's not going to be here past next year.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

If Bird wants to leave, that's fine. As long as Morway (who I believe is the one that is most active in the front office) stays, then that's all I care about.

I wonder if Bird would stick around without a contract (or rather, without pay) if that would allow the Simons to permit him to spend more money on the roster? After all, Bird does make 7-figure for this, doesn't he? Maybe he gives it up for a little luxury tax wiggle room?

Just speculating, obviously.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I wonder if Bird would stick around without a contract (or rather, without pay) if that would allow the Simons to permit him to spend more money on the roster? After all, Bird does make 6-figure for this, doesn't he? Maybe he gives it up for a little luxury tax wiggle room?

Who do ya think this guy is? Isaiah Thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Stevo, could you explain why you think the statement was a smoke screen?

Mainly because they disagree on one of the fundamental problems with our team. JOB thinks we do not have the players to play the defense he wants and Bird just flat out said that the players had more in them. To me that's saying the coach didn't get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I wonder if Bird would stick around without a contract (or rather, without pay) if that would allow the Simons to permit him to spend more money on the roster? After all, Bird does make 6-figure for this, doesn't he? Maybe he gives it up for a little luxury tax wiggle room?

I'm sure Bird is making 7-figures, and I'm also sure that there is next to nothing that gives extra luxury tax wiggle room. Keep in mind that once your $1 over, you lose about $3.5mm because you no longer get the bonus for being below the threshold.

I don't think there's much to this. I think Bird may not be entirely convinced that this is going to be his life's work. I could be remembering incorrectly, but didn't Walsh work under a similar "handshake" type of deal?

Whoops, yeah, I meant to say 7-figures.

I think this all depends if we pick up Marquise's option. Larry will have decide if the risk of loosing Marquise and not getting Dun back healthy is worth the cap space.
    Bringing back Marquis would be a serious question mark in my mind. No matter whether it is via taking his option or renegotiating another deal. I think Marquis played like this was a contract year... and he still ended up missing several games with some injury pine time.

I think the odds or Marquis being available as an insurance policy for Dunleavy aren't all that much better than the odds of Dunleavy himself being available most of that time. I'd rather just stick with Brandon Rush as the starter and cobble something together rotation-wise with Stephen Graham and Jarret Jack and utilize Diener more (so we don't get an overdose of JJ and TJ together).

...That's assuming we can't pick up a better FA option than Graham or have some kind of drafting or trading luck come our way.

I just don't think I'd count on Marquis...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Bringing back Marquis would be a serious question mark in my mind. No matter whether it is via taking his option or renegotiating another deal. I think Marquis played like this was a contract year... and he still ended up missing several games with some injury pine time.

I think the odds or Marquis being available as an insurance policy for Dunleavy aren't all that much better than the odds of Dunleavy himself being available most of that time. I'd rather just stick with Brandon Rush as the starter and cobble something together rotation-wise with Stephen Graham and Jarret Jack and utilize Diener more (so we don't get an overdose of JJ and TJ together).

...That's assuming we can't pick up a better FA option than Graham or have some kind of drafting or trading luck come our way.

I'd have to agree with you on this. I was really quivering when Bird said that he'd have to consider picking up on his option.

I'd at least wait until the day of the draft to consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Yeah, I wasn't going to be heartbroken about not re-signing Marquis when he was healthy and playing well...I have absolutely no interest in re-signing him now.

I'd have to go back and re-watch the whole press conference (the feed got jacked up), but it sounded to me like Bird was "theoretically spending" a lot of money he doesn't have.

Honestly, I still think there is virtually no chance we'll re-sign Daniels.