Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird to give "season post mortem" at 10am today, there will be live Indystar.com feed

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Bird to give "season post mortem" at 10am today, there will be live Indystar.com feed

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I wasn't going to be heartbroken about not re-signing Marquis when he was healthy and playing well...I have absolutely no interest in re-signing him now.

I'd have to go back and re-watch the whole press conference (the feed got jacked up), but it sounded to me like Bird was "theoretically spending" a lot of money he doesn't have.

Honestly, I still think there is virtually no chance we'll re-sign Daniels.
    Yeah I agree. I like to see Rush playing more minutes at SG than him. Daniels was injury bound most of the games through out the season. His defense and scoring was great earlier in the season but began to fade out of the picture when Rush was getting the minutes.

Default Re: Larry Bird to give "season post mortem" at 10am today, there will be live Indystar.com feed

I see no reason to pick up his option. He's not making that much on the open market, so at the very least wait and re-sign him if you want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I see no reason to pick up his option. He's not making that much on the open market, so at the very least wait and re-sign him if you want him.
    Didn't the summary quote Bird as saying "re-sign" and not "pick up the option"? I think 'Quis is worth less on the open market than Jack is, so picking up his option is a ludicrous idea. If teams really wanted him, we'd have gotten a good offer for him at the deadline.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I would not be suprised to see Nick Cathelises on this squad next year.
    Nick Calathes would be a good 2nd round pick as a back PG with decent size (6'5"), assuming Deiner and Marquis are gone. It would likely require a trade-up in the second round since we pick late. As a second rounder I think he culd make the team, which is about all you can ask for at that point in the draft.

90% sure that Spurs have no bird rights on Gooden since he was acquired in FA..we can outright sign him if sheed goes to SAS

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Okay, I'm following. How do we obtain him?
    I think you look at Sac's team option on Cedric Simmons. He really hasn't been given an opportunity to play since being traded from Chicago. He's young, athletic and a solid rebounder. He won't cost that much. So the risk is low and reward would be high if he pans out. If all we are looking for is a younger Jeff Foster with the ability to score the Cedric fits that mold. If anyone else has some idea's that may be new and out there. throw em out there. Im sure there are other players like Cedric that could help us.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    I think you look at Sac's team option on Cedric Simmons. He really hasn't been given an opportunity to play since being traded from Chicago. He's young, athletic and a solid rebounder. He won't cost that much. So the risk is low and reward would be high if he pans out. If all we are looking for is a younger Jeff Foster with the ability to score the Cedric fits that mold. If anyone else has some idea's that may be new and out there. throw em out there. Im sure there are other players like Cedric that could help us.
    Yeah I like the idea of Simmons being an example of a younger Jeff. He'd be a good back up at PF. Josh and him would be battling minutes at PF if Josh is re-signed.

I finally got to watch it via pacers.com and I really like the ideas Bird has planned for during offseason.

I like it that he is willing to re-sign Jack which he's making it seem like that's first on his list of offseason to do's.

I also liked what he said about Troy being our starting PF and getting him a back up PF either Josh or a free agent.

Lastly I liked that he brought up a player name for the draft and that was Evans. I wouldn't be surprised if he selects him if he's still available when we make our selection. He's mainly the PG he would want. Tall and athletic.
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-21-2009 at 05:57 PM.

I noticed that in regards to Marquis, he said it as if they would take his option, not let him go and re-sign him. I'd like to think that if it came to that, they'd realize that's not the wise move.

Regarding a big man, he said it would be someone to back up Troy because he views Troy as a starting PF.

I noticed that in regards to Marquis, he said it as if they would take his option, not let him go and re-sign him. I'd like to think that if it came to that, they'd realize that's not the wise move.
    He only mentioned Marquis' name only once or twice so I don't expect him to be back next season with us. He almost made it seem like he was well out of the picture for next season.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Didn't the summary quote Bird as saying "re-sign" and not "pick up the option"? I think 'Quis is worth less on the open market than Jack is, so picking up his option is a ludicrous idea. If teams really wanted him, we'd have gotten a good offer for him at the deadline.
    I think that Teams are probably interested in him....I just don't think they are interested in him at $7mil a year. In the offseason....even with the injuries, if a Team could sign him for some 2-3 year deal at $2-3 mil a year....he would be worth it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I agree, a similar deal is like for Donyell Marshall. He had all 11 points in the 4th quarter come back for Phillie the other night. He's not really what they are looking for, but he's a vet who could contribute in Obies offense and probably come on the cheap.
    Donyall Marshall is more like an Al Harrington-type player.....he's more of a Tweener that can hit jumpshots and occassionally play in the post....but more of a SF then he is a PF. My impression of Joe Smith is that he's closer to the type of PF that we would want to get.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that Teams are probably interested in him....I just don't think they are interested in him at $7mil a year. In the offseason....even with the injuries, if a Team could sign him for some 2-3 year deal at $2-3 mil a year....he would be worth it.
    I see some teams willing to sign him for a few years but like you said his injuries and high contract might keep teams with second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post

Lastly I liked that he brought up a player name for the draft and that was Evans. I wouldn't be surprised if he selects him if he's still available when we make our selection. He's mainly the PG he would want. Tall and athletic.

Smoke screen Smoke screen! When has the Pacers PTB ever tipped their hand about draft picks? Walsh never did and neither has Bird. I'm not buying it. Bird's too much of a poker player to give his hand away. Just a smoke screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Smoke screen Smoke screen! When has the Pacers PTB ever tipped their hand about draft picks? Walsh never did and neither has Bird. I'm not buying it. Bird's too much of a poker player to give his hand away. Just a smoke screen.
    He really never says names of guys he likes until he selects.

Who was it Bird talked/raved about after having workouts for the Pacers last year? Randolph or Arthur? He could have drafted whoever it was and didn't. Not buying him showing his hand prior to the draft with 2 months to go until draft day. SMOKE SCREEN!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Maybe Larry knows that we know this, & by coming out & stating a name he is in fact "hiding" his intent right under our noses!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I don't even see the big deal about him mentioning Evans. He was asked about J'Ob's mentioning of needing a taller and more athletic PG, and Bird said the only one who would fit that description would be Tyreke Evans, b/c the rest of them are small.

He also stated that J'Ob most likely knows nothing about college players

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's the luxury threshold supposed to be next year?

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I don't even see the big deal about him mentioning Evans. He was asked about J'Ob's mentioning of needing a taller and more athletic PG, and Bird said the only one who would fit that description would be Tyreke Evans, b/c the rest of them are small.

He also stated that J'Ob most likely knows nothing about college players
    No big deal. I just liked it that he said a name of someone that he might look at for the pre draft work outs.

Ya know, I just don't agree here.

IMO, while I agree that Bird doesn't "give his hand away [completely]," I do believe he tips his hand [about draft picks]. I believe that Donnie enjoyed the art of smoke-screening (daggone lawyers!), but Bird's just not wired to spout BS.

I don't have his recorded comments from last year to back up my argument, but I feel like he gave clues that he was particularly interested in both Rush and Hibbert. I admit, I was momentarily disappointed (though not outright ballistic like so many posters!) that he passed on Bayless, but once it was announced that we had obtained JJ along with Rush, I thought, "Of course!" When he picked Hibbert, I felt a strong sense of satisfaction.

I'm sticking my neck out here ... ... but I'm confident that his comments reveal that we will not be picking a (small) PG (unless we trade up to get Evans, which I don't see happening). And I'll go even further: I believe he hinted that if he can't pull off a pre-draft trade for a veteran PF, he may opt to (pick a wing at #13 and) acquire an additional pick later in the 1st round ... and select his "consolation prize" ...

... Tyler Hansbrough.
    Last edited by DrFife; 04-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Who was it Bird talked/raved about after having workouts for the Pacers last year? Randolph or Arthur? He could have drafted whoever it was and didn't. Not buying him showing his hand prior to the draft with 2 months to go until draft day. SMOKE SCREEN!
    I'm usually always satisfied with his selections.

Regarding a big man, he said it would be someone to back up Troy because he views Troy as a starting PF.
    What's not the wise move?

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    What's the luxury threshold supposed to be next year?
    $69.4

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    What's not the wise move?
    Picking up Daniels' option.