Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA to review Dampier's guarantee to put Parker "on his back"...Dale Davis rolls over in his grave

Default NBA to review Dampier's guarantee to put Parker "on his back"...Dale Davis rolls over in his grave

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4087427
    The NBA has commenced a review of Dallas Mavericks center Erick Dampier's postgame comments Monday in San Antonio that could result in an official penalty from the league office -- most likely in the form of a fine -- before Thursday's Game 3.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed Tuesday night that Dampier will be interviewed by league security officials about his statements after vowing to put San Antonio's Tony Parker "on his back" with his first foul in Game 3.

Parker shredded Dallas' defense for 38 points Monday night to spark San Antonio to a 105-84 triumph that evened the long-standing Texas rivals' first-round series at 1-1.

"Parker got into the teeth of our defense and caused problems," Dampier told The Dallas Morning News after the game. "Every time he drives the lane, we have to put him on his back. The first foul has to tell him he's in for a long night. My first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back. I guarantee it."

Even if the 6-11, 265-pound center avoids further sanction from the league for his "guarantee," Dampier has potentially compromised the Mavericks' efforts to contain Parker and Tim Duncan, almost certainly inviting closer scrutiny from the referees who will be working Thursday night when the series shifts to Dallas. Dampier's strong play in Game 1 (10 points, 11 rebounds) against Duncan helped the Mavericks steal the series opener on the road.

Six of Parker's 16 baskets Monday were layups, including four alone in a 19-point first quarter.

Both teams used Tuesday as an off day from the practice court as well as the media. Spurs officials declined ESPN.com's request for a reaction to Dampier's statements and neither Mavericks owner Mark Cuban nor Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle could be immediately reached for comment.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
    What is wrong with the NBA? Come on!

Default Re: NBA to review Dampier's guarantee to put Parker "on his back"...Dale Davis rolls over in his grave

I just don't understand Dampier. If you're going to lay out Parker, then just go out and do it during the game. Maybe they call a flagrant or a technical, maybe they don't.

But now that you've verbally threatened this, they're going to be on the lookout and anything ressembling a hard foul is far more likely to be a flagarant and a fine.

Default Re: NBA to review Dampier's guarantee to put Parker "on his back"...Dale Davis rolls over in his grave

And possibly a suspension. If you're Darnpier, you can't be stupid enough to put this in print. Just do what you gotta do, but don't say you're going to lay the guy out.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Funny thing is, they would get any fines for talking in the post game interview about getting in front of Parker before he drives.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's worthy of a fine? Brutality.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I find nothing wrong with them doing it, for i think in this day and age it isn't done enough. The idiotic part is telling the press that you would do it. I think it would be the "Jordan Rules" Pistons that are rolling over rather than Dale.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

This might be the lamest story ever.

Next game, Ben Gorden and Ray Allen are going to be in trouble for threatening to shoot the basketball if they are open. Probably get charged for carrying a gun without a permit or something... oh, you mean THAT type of SHOOT the basketball.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

These comments were made to fire up his team.

A fine for that? Even an interview??

C'mon! This league needs to toughen up. Bring back the 90's when you didn't get penalized for breathing.

Dutch Pacers Fan

The NBA is making a mockery of itself! This is the play-offs man, what do you expect, teams just to roll over and play dead?
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

I think the NBA is interpreting this as a threat to hurt Parker
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pretty lame on all sides, really. Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley probably would have been kicked out of today's NBA.

If they fine Dampier and Wallace does not get suspended for his elbow on Big Z Mark Cuban is going to riot.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does this guy ever get fined for stuff like this?

What about this guy?

(Yes, I realized they've been fined. I was just stirring things up.)

oh man. This is just unbelievable. This is the Playoffs the league gives you 6 fouls for a reason. TO USE THEM. Who cares if you talk about HOW YOU USE THEM. This game has become way to soft. We wonder why players drive the lane at will and get monster dunks. Because there are no good mean players left. Everyone wants to be the next spokesman.

I applaud dampier for having a chip on his shoulder and sending a message to parker.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's worthy of a fine? Brutality.
    If someone were to say "Next game, I'm going to deck Granger so he'll know whats up." I'm sure you'd be concerned about it.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Pretty lame on all sides, really. Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley probably would have been kicked out of today's NBA.
    Difference being... Mason and Oakley wouldn't be foolish enough to indicate this before doing this... Dampier just opened himself up for some serious punishment if anything happens to Parker outside of standard game stuff.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the league's course of "preventative" action.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    If someone were to say "Next game, I'm going to deck Granger so he'll know whats up." I'm sure you'd be concerned about it.
    Then you be concerned about it. When it happens you kick him out of the NBA or give him a large suspension.

Fining someone for saying they are going to put a HARD foul on another player to protect the basket is not worth a fine. If it is a blantent flagrant when it happens then you fine them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Does this guy ever get fined for stuff like this?

What about this guy?

(Yes, I realized they've been fined. I was just stirring things up.)

Wait a minute, I thought you said that I stirred things up.

I'm far more concerned our big men DON'T have his mentality than being concerned that our players will hit the floor.

If you go to the basket, you should be expecting a hard foul. I'm sure Danny, with all we've heard about him and how his father raised him, wouldn't think twice about not going to the hole if someone publicly said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm far more concerned our big men DON'T have his mentality than being concerned that our players will hit the floor.

If you go to the basket, you should be expecting a hard foul. I'm sure Danny, with all we've heard about him and how his father raised him, wouldn't think twice about not going to the hole if someone publicly said that.
    Theres a difference between expecting a hard foul and having someone basically tell you they are going to try and hurt you.

Theres a difference between expecting a hard foul and having someone basically tell you they are going to try and hurt you.
    Simple solution! Don't got to the hole! Dampier is allowed fouls just like everyone else. Just because parker is a poster boy doesn't mean he is above the game of basketball. This is a MENS league and its the playoffs. Get over it.

He never said he was going to hurt him. He said he was going to knock him on his back.

That doesn't mean he's going to punch him in the face, that means that he's going to give a good hard foul, probably a lot of body contact. He never said he was going to grab him by the head and throw him down.

There's a BIG difference in what he said, and trying to hurt someone.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Where did he say he was going to try to hurt him?

"Put him on his back" <> "Hurt him".

IMO.

C'mon. Converse made an entire shoe commercial campaign out of showing Dwayne Wade getting back up from a series of hard fouls. If you're a guard, and you go in with the big boys, you have to expect this. Every NBA player expects this. Duh. Now, whether or not every opposing NBA team "delivers" is a different story. To me, the only people this should bother are the Mavs coaching staff who are thinking, "don't tell him."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    Simple solution! Don't got to the hole! Dampier is allowed fouls just like everyone else. Just because parker is a poster boy doesn't mean he is above the game of basketball. This is a MENS league and its the playoffs. Get over it.
    When did I ever say that? I have no problem with hard fouls, I encourage them over the weak fouls that allow And-1's to happen. The problem is saying you are going to "put him on his back" insinuates you are going to make him fall on his back, which usually results in injury. The way he worded it, made it sound like he was going to try to hurt him - you just don't say something like that without it being an issue.

"Get over it.", seriously dude, I'm pretty sure most of us are old enough to be past the "Get over it." stage.