Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 Free Agency Thread

Default Official 2009 Free Agency Thread

Can I call something an "official" thread since I'm not a moderator?

If I call something "official" does that mean we can make this the predominant thread for FA discussion rather than talking about it in every thread?

Here's a pretty good list from espn.com of who's going to be an FA in the next 2 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-09-10

Here are some positional highlights:

PG:
    Mike Bibby
    Stephon Marbury
    Raymond Felton (R)
    Jason Kidd
    Jarret Jack (R)
    Ramon Sessions (R)
    Nate Robinson (R)
    Andre Miller

SG:
    Ben Gordon
    Wally Sczerbiak
    Allen Iverson
    Jamal Crawford (ETO)
    Von Wafer
    Marquis Daniels (TO)
    Quinton Ross
    Desmond Mason
    Anthony Parker
    Morris Almond

SF:
    Josh Childress (R)
    Marvin Williams (R)
    James Singleton
    Linas Kleiza (R)
    Ron Artest
    Trevor Ariza
    Lamar Odom
    Jamario Moon (R)
    Keith Bogans
    Rodney Carney
    Matt Barnes
    Grant Hill
    Ime Udoka
    Shawn Marion
    Joey Graham (R)
    Hedo Turkoglu (ETO)

PF/C:
    Solomon Jones
    ZaZa Pachulia
    Mikki Moore
    Glenn Davis (R)
    Leon Powe (R)
    Sean May (R)
    Joe Smith
    Anderson Varejao (PO)
    Brandon Bass
    Chris Anderson
    Rasheed Wallace
    Antonio McDyess
    Josh McRoberts (R)
    Hakim Warrick (R)
    Charlie Villanueva (R)
    Shelden Williams
    David Lee (R)
    Chris Wilcox
    Robert Swift
    Channing Frye (R)
    Ike Diogu (R)
    Drew Gooden
    Carlos Boozer (PO)
    Paul Millsap (R)
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Official 2009 Free Agency Thread

People probably won't like this, but one player I think the Pacers should take a good hard look at is Shelden Williams. If you can manage to forget that the Hawks were stupid enough to draft him #5 and look at what he brings to the table, you might like what you find.

Here's his Hollinger scouting report from ESPN:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe...?playerId=3040

2007-08 season: The fifth-overall pick in 2006 has had trouble gaining career traction, with a chronic inability to finish around the basket dampening his hopes of becoming a rotation player. Williams converted only 47.8 percent of his shots in the basket area, an extremely poor rate for a big man, and since he's also mediocre at best an outside shooter (37.6 percent on long 2s for his career), it doesn't leave a lot of alternatives for where to get his points. He at least got to the line at a high rate, which helped offset that woeful 43.4 percent mark from the floor.

The one thing he really does well is rebound. Williams was eighth among power forwards in offensive rebound rate and 11th overall; unfortunately, he was unable to convert many of those offensive boards into buckets.

Scouting report: Williams is strong and willing to do the dirty work around the basket, but he's a poor finisher because of his lack of elevation and oftentimes can't get a shot off -- more than one delivery in 10 was blocked. He's good on the offensive glass because of his muscle and long arms but has to stop and gather himself before going up with a putback, and usually by then the defense has recovered.

Defensively, Williams is a solid player, and if he's going to stick as a regular it will be because he does the heavy lifting at that end of the floor. He's a good shot-blocker and a physical post defender, and he plays hard.

2008-09 outlook: Williams is facing a crowded frontcourt situation and, unlike Atlanta, the Kings don't have a major investment in him to try to justify. As a result, he's likely to be on the losing end of a battle with Mikki Moore, Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes and Brad Miller for frontcourt minutes and will only see sporadic duty unless there's an injury. He'd make a good fourth big man for 15 minutes or so off the bench, but unless there's a trade it doesn't appear this will be the place that happens.

- Salman Rushdie

Interesting idea, mellifluous. I can't imagine he'd be that expensive, either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a pretty good back up and a decent defender. I like the idea that we should see what he can do for us and where he would fit in in the lineup.

How much do you think Pachulia will want? Or Mikki Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't imagine he'd be that expensive, either.
    No, I don't think he will be, and I think that he's the type of guy we're going to have the ability to sign. All the Paul Millsap talk is just pie in the sky. We're not going to be able to afford him. In the press conference Bird said re-sign Jack and split the MLE into two players. That's not Millsap money. I don't even think that's Brandon Bass money. That's more like Shelden Williams and James Singleton or Quinton Ross money.

- Salman Rushdie

Shelden Williams is a pretty good idea. He's attainable and inexpensive. He's not a long term, end all answer by a longshot, but he'd be good for 15-20 mpg as a change of pace to the type of frontcourt players the Pacers currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Shelden Williams is a pretty good idea. He's attainable and inexpensive. He's not a long term, end all answer by a longshot, but he'd be good for 15-20 mpg as a change of pace to the type of frontcourt players the Pacers currently have.
    I think he can play alongside any of current bigs. I'm not sure I like the idea of pairing him with McRoberts, but I don't mind him with Foster, Murphy, or Hibbert.

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I think he can play alongside any of current bigs. I'm not sure I like the idea of pairing him with McRoberts, but I don't mind him with Foster, Murphy, or Hibbert.
    Yeah he and a resigned Josh would really be battling for minutes at PF so it's a tough decision but a good price on Williams though.

To me Williams is an unathletic big guy - and IMO that is the last thing we need.

I also like Brandon Bass and/or James Singleton. They have inexpensive paying contracts and they're somewhat athletic here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    To me Williams is an unathletic big guy - and IMO that is the last thing we need.
    Buck's got a good point. It's been a while since I've seen Williams play. The concept is sound, but, as I said in another post, we simply can't get any slower.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Buck's got a good point. It's been a while since I've seen Williams play. The concept is sound, but, as I said in another post, we simply can't get any slower.
    Agreed, and I've been kicking that horse hard in my Blair comments on the draft thread. That being said, Williams isn't any slower than Murphy, and he's certainly quicker than Hibbert and Rasho.

It's going to be hard to find a tough physical defender who's also a significant athletic upgrade at the position.

My main question about Williams is this: If he's a poor athlete who's not that big (6'9"), how is he a good shot-blocker?

- Salman Rushdie

Here's an idea that will never happen, though I think it would be great for us.

Give 'Sheed the full MLE for two years.

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd turn in my Pacer fan card. Might as well ask the P's to sign Ben Wallace and have him relieve himself on the P at center court.

Money problems aside, I think 'Sheed's is sliding. The skill set would be nice, but I don't see that kind of investment.

It doesn't help that he irritates the living **** out of me, either.

Agreed, and I've been kicking that horse hard in my Blair comments on the draft thread. That being said, Williams isn't any slower than Murphy, and he's certainly quicker than Hibbert and Rasho.

It's going to be hard to find a tough physical defender who's also a significant athletic upgrade at the position.

My main question about Williams is this: If he's a poor athlete who's not that big (6'9"), how is he a good shot-blocker?
    Two things:

One, I'd have to watch Williams again to see what's what.

Two, I'm right there withya with Blair.

People probably won't like this, but one player I think the Pacers should take a good hard look at is Shelden Williams. If you can manage to forget that the Hawks were stupid enough to draft him #5 and look at what he brings to the table, you might like what you find.

Here's his Hollinger scouting report from ESPN:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe...?playerId=3040
    Definitely worth consideration. Big and strong at least. That wouldn't hurt. Never gonna be great, but could probably contribute if handed the blue-collar role.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Why is it a "next 2 years". Why not a "who's a FA this summer". I could care less about the summer of 2010. We've got some trading chips, all kinds of options. Maybe it will be an interesting summer. I want to win this coming season.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

There's a few players I like in the PF/C list above it they're at a reasonable price.

Wilcox, Frye, and Gooden have all been guys that I thought could help us in a backup role, but maybe be out of our range.

Zaza or Bass might be in the range, and would be nice off the bench. I've always like Powe, but after his ACL injury... not sure how he'll recover

Mikki Moore hasn't looked very impressive since joining the Celtics, and didn't do much with the Kings. I think J Kidd is the reason for his strong play in New Jersey

The Shelden Williams idea is intriguing, and I don't remember him being that unathletic at Duke, plus he may be motivated to stay in the league with he and Cadice Parker having a baby on the way.

Looks to be another interesing offseason regardless

I noticed in the latter part of the season Williams had some good games for the T-Wolves. If he's a DD blue collar lunch pail type guy, why not give him a good look with a workout? It sure can't hurt. I'd have to believe he'd be cheap too.

Channing Frye is a player I'd be interested in giving a good look at too.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    The Shelden Williams idea is intriguing, and I don't remember him being that unathletic at Duke
    You remember correctly. Compared to most collegiate players, Williams was bigger and more athletic. In the NBA, he's undersized for the type of game he plays and he's average athletically.

He was a poor pick at #5, though remember it was a weak draft. His talent really is that of a player taken in the 20s in a decent draft.

I mentioned this in another thread but Cedric Simmons is not getting any love in Sac town since the trade. Sac has a team option on his this year. He has logged no more than 6 minutes in 7 games played since the trade. just a thought.

http://hoopshype.com/players/cedric_simmons.htm

Young, athletic and a presence in the middle.

Correct me if Im wrong, but with a team option, Sac can opt let him be walk with FA tag? Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong, but with a team option, Sac can opt let him be walk with FA tag? Is this correct?

That's correct.

Simmons has been with 3 teams in 3 years and has accomplished zilch. I'd stay with McBob over Simmons.

I'd like to see the Pacers look at a backup 4 along the lines of a Shelden Williams, Sean May or Drew Gooden as well as someone like a Richard Hendrix or Rod Benson from the D-League.

I know people will question May's weight, Williams' desire and Gooden's willingness, but I could definitely see the Pacers looking at one of them.

As far as Hendrix or Benson, I know there was interest in Hendrix last year before he was drafted and he's got good size at 6'9 250ish. Benson is also 6'10 230lbs, so they at least come in and compete for a bench role, if anything else and they would sign for the minimum.