Thread: Mike Brown - coach of the year

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Brown - coach of the year

Not a big fan of his team, but good for him.

Yes sir! He certainly deserves it.

Did anyone hear his postgame press conference after Saturday's game 1. A reporter asked him why the offense is so much better than the first few years as coach . Brown said that was his fault and yet he did it on purpose. he said he spent every minute in practice on defense for his 1st 3 seasons - never spent anytime on offense and never emphasized offense. (and he was constatnly criticized by experts about his offense and how bad his system was) This past season he gave the offensive responsibilities to his assistant and spent some time on it.

I really think that is what JOB should be doing - but it might be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone hear his postgame press conference after Saturday's game 1. A reporter asked him why the offense is so much better than the first few years as coach . Brown said that was his fault and yet he did it on purpose. he said he spent every minute in practice on defense for his 1st 3 seasons - never spent anytime on offense and never emphasized offense. (and he was constatnly criticized by experts about his offense and how bad his system was) This past season he gave the offensive responsibilities to his assistant and spent some time on it.

Definitely a credit to Brown, but recognize a lot of coaches don't have the luxury of doing something like this.

Unless you have a super talented team doing a lot of winning off the bat or you have a guy like Lebron, it would be very, very difficult to make your games watchable at all to fans with that kind of coaching strategy.

With Lebron able to QB the offense, you don't need an elaborate offensive plan to survive. If you got a young talented guy like that carrying the load for 40 mins a game, you can afford to have the rest of your team focus their energy on defense.

Ugly as it was for them, they were able to generate points and Lebron James himself is a draw that is going to sell tickets. You can run any kind of offensive scheme you want and people will come to watch him.

That being said, Mike Brown deserves COY. He's done a fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

You beat me to the punch!

I have confidence that this team can learn to play "good" defense if it was emphasized like Brown did.

Congrats to Brown. If I was voting, I'd probably would have voted for the Miami coach due to the huge turn around from last season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel like we should take a little bit of credit. Heck...

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I feel like we should take a little bit of credit. Heck...

j/k
    He gives Rick Carlisle and his time as Pacers associate head coach a lot of credit. But also gives Pop credit. Give Rick credit for seeking him out as he wasn't the Spurs lead assistant

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd have voted for Nate McMillan, but I don't get a vote.

Coach Brown in a timeout.. "Ok guys, play hard, get the ball to Lebron and react fast to whatever Lebron does."

Really though, I like his emphasis on D. Why can't we do that? There are many contributing factors to the Pacers decline, but Coach (Mike) Brown leaving is definately one of them.

Good for Mike.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Once an assistant for us now coach of the year. Congrats to him.

I don't necessarily agree with this selection. I think the team's improvement has more to do with the personnel upgrades, particularly the Mo Williams trade, than the coaching. I respect Mike Brown as a coach, but I would have given more consideration to guys like Rick Adelman and Eric Spoelstra.

Good for him, but if he wins it, more than half would be because he has Lebron James. I would've voted for Rick Adelman though...

Isn't it interesting how good of a coach you are when you have with the likes of a Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron . . . . .

Phil Jackson made his living swinging on those kind of jersey-tails.

Rick Adelman hands down. No one did more with less in the league than he did. I like Mike Brown but to me they picked the wrong coach. Hard to argue with only 2 home losses all year though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Rick Adelman hands down. No one did more with less in the league than he did. I like Mike Brown but to me they picked the wrong coach. Hard to argue with only 2 home losses all year though.
    I disagree completely. The Rockets talent level is easily top 10 in the league, and that doesn't include T-Mac. Man to man, they have more than Cleveland does, outside of LeBron. I also disagree with Miami's coach being a front runner as well. hey did improve, but the team is better than it was last year as well, the same arguement that could be used agaisnt Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Isn't it interesting how good of a coach you are when you have with the likes of a Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron . . . . .

Phil Jackson made his living swinging on those kind of jersey-tails.
    Sure, but some guys are wanted by the teams with the big talent for one reason or another. It was the Lakers who came calling for Phil Jackson, and he took a very attractive spot.

By the same token, Stan Van Gundy was courted by at least 3 teams. He had his choice and to nobodys' surprise, he picked the team that had the bonafide franchise superstar. It's what everyone would do, given the option.

It goes hand in hand. It definitely is a players' league, and the teams that have the best players are going to attract the best coaches.

For those questioning Brown winning the award - suggesting that the cavs have a ton of talent and James - my reply to that is have you seen the cavs play defense. Defense loike that is a result of coaching - great coaching.

Wait you do not think Cleveland is as talented as Houston? Really? Sorry if I misunderstood I am just kind of stunned to hear that. Houston does not have a go to player and I certantly think they have top ten talent without McGrady condsidering there is only 16 teams that make the playoffs and they are ranked 5th in the stronger conference. Listen as I said I love what Mike has done in Cleveland and I can tell he is a big part of that turn around, but it would interest me to see what Cleveland would have done in the Western Conference with their record if they had to face those teams more than twice a year. Also on that note Lebron who should be the MVP this year gets all of his other teamates involved while Houstons go to guy Yao does not create as well as Lebron so to me Lebron should win MVP while Adelman who has always done a great job as a coach should have won. JMHO
    Last edited by jhondog28; 04-21-2009 at 01:13 PM.