Thread: New Orleans/Indiana

Default New Orleans/Indiana

Pacers trade PF Troy Murphy and their 2009 second round pick #52 overall to New Orleans

New Orleans trades PF/C Tyson Chandler and 2009 first round pick #21 to Indiana

Why for Indiana: They get an athletic shotblocker/ rebounder type with size to help defensively in Chandler. They also get an additional first round pick to help fill a hole in another area.

Why for New Orleans: The Hornets save millions in this deal by saving the difference between Chandler and Murphy (about 3 million I think in 09-10 and a bit more in 10-11) and by not having to pay a first round pick this year. They also get a good player in Murphy coming off a career year. Mainly, this is a salary move by New Orleans I think.

Is this realistic at all? Is it a good deal for us? Is it a good deal for them?

Default Re: New Orleans/Indiana

The Hornets probably say no. They save some money, but not anywhere as much as compared to the deal that they wanted to do with the Thunder at the trade deadline.

I think this is very realistic I think that i heard that A trade was on the table for Chandler i'm not sure who the other player involved was but i'm almost sure that was something

Is it too much to also throw in Tinsley for Mo Pete in the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it too much to also throw in Tinsley for Mo Pete in the deal?
    considering they have Antonio Daniels as their backup, they wont want Tinsley
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see it happening.
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.

This would be a steal for us, but I only see NO trading Chandler for an immediate expiring. If they'd just get a contract that is the same length as Chandler's, I'm sure they'd just rather pay the extra to retain Chandler.

I'd go for it, but I can't see the Hornets doing it.

Murphy has been a bit more durable than Chandler though.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    This would be a steal for us, but I only see NO trading Chandler for an immediate expiring. If they'd just get a contract that is the same length as Chandler's, I'm sure they'd just rather pay the extra to retain Chandler.
    I would agree that NOH want immediate cap space so here's my take...

Tyson Chandler
    Julian Wright
    for
    Jeff Foster
    Marquis Daniels
    (Picks the same as in earlier offer)

This could be a deal where by sending out additional salery w/Daniels, we can get back a package that still allows us room to resign Jack.

Why this Deal?:
    NOH get the cap space in MD, & we get TC's "D" & a young wing.

We also pick up a 21. D/E has Jrue Holliday going around then - a 6'3" defensive PG-type, who kind of sounds like he fits what we've said we need, though not touted as a great athlete.
    OR
    We package 21w/13 & move up (T.Evans?)

Just a thought.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Mood

I would jump for joy if Larry could pull this off. I doubt NO would take it though.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    I would agree that NOH want immediate cap space so here's my take...

Tyson Chandler
    Julian Wright
    for
    Jeff Foster
    Marquis Daniels
    (Picks the same as in earlier offer)

This could be a deal where by sending out additional salery w/Daniels, we can get back a package that still allows us room to resign Jack.

Why this Deal?:
    NOH get the cap space in MD, & we get TC's "D" & a young wing.

We also pick up a 21. D/E has Jrue Holliday going around then - a 6'3" defensive PG-type, who kind of sounds like he fits what we've said we need, though not touted as a great athlete.
    OR
    We package 21w/13 & move up (T.Evans?)

Just a thought.
    1. This offers very little cap space this year to NO. To trade Marquis, you have to pick up the option, which means that NO would have to pay him $7.4mm next year, so they're taking about $13.5mm in salaries, while sending out $14.4 plus their guaranteed pick, which would be another $1.0mm.

2. They're getting minimal cap space, but they're giving up a young player (Wright) and a 1st rounder...seems like too much.

3. WE DON'T HAVE CAP SPACE TO GIVE. While NO is one of the few teams in a more dire financial situation than the Pacers, we are still not in a position to take on salaries like this. This trade would have the ultimate consequence of putting us well over the luxury tax, preventing us from re-signing Jarrett Jack, and quite possibly put us in the position of having to sell not only the 21 st pick we'd (theoretically) get in the deal, but probably our 13th pick just to avoid going broke.

This is a really bad trade for New Orleans, but it's only a marginally worse trade for the Pacers.

(This doesn't even get into the discussion that Chandler is a relatively small upgrade over Foster, at twice the price.)

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. What is an "immediately expiring contract" other than one that ends after next season (ie Daniels' contract)?

2. Are there any large enough to trade for Chandlers? I just don't see unguranteed contracts that large.

Mood

I could see Detroit trading their early second rounder this year (#36) for Chandler and possibly one of their young PF's in Amir Johnson. This way NO gets another big body, plus a cheap player out of the draft to fill some roster spots. And save themselves about 8M next year.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 05-05-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    1. This offers very little cap space this year to NO. To trade Marquis, you have to pick up the option, which means that NO would have to pay him $7.4mm next year, so they're taking about $13.5mm in salaries, while sending out $14.4 plus their guaranteed pick, which would be another $1.0mm.

2. They're getting minimal cap space, but they're giving up a young player (Wright) and a 1st rounder...seems like too much.

3. WE DON'T HAVE CAP SPACE TO GIVE. While NO is one of the few teams in a more dire financial situation than the Pacers, we are still not in a position to take on salaries like this. This trade would have the ultimate consequence of putting us well over the luxury tax, preventing us from re-signing Jarrett Jack, and quite possibly put us in the position of having to sell not only the 21 st pick we'd (theoretically) get in the deal, but probably our 13th pick just to avoid going broke.

This is a really bad trade for New Orleans, but it's only a marginally worse trade for the Pacers.

(This doesn't even get into the discussion that Chandler is a relatively small upgrade over Foster, at twice the price.)
    My thoughs were:
    -The adition of Foster vs. Wrights contracts would offset +/- 4 Mil of the incomming $ we would be taking in. With Daniels contract being 7+ mil, that would add +/- 3 mil to us - as I was seeing it. This would be 1/2 the MLE, something I have heard LB stated he might do.
    -I think Chandler is a big upgrade over Foster. Obviously TC''s recent foot injury has limited him, & would give me some pause, but I like the offensive upgrade & the more dominate defense he would bring.
    -While NOH don't get cap for t/y, they do get help at yr end - allowing them to look ahead 1 yr earlier. They got a loan from the NBA, so getting help t/y is not as important. Besides, getting room for t/y will be hard as they would need to find a team w/ cap space to absorb salery, something that is not likely. As far as us, I was only using the $ LB alluded to that we might have available (6-8 mil).
    -You are likely right that NOH says "get lost", but Wright is not being used & they might not see him w/ the potential that others might.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

What was probably on the table is no longer what we could offer, and that would've been immediate cap space in the form of Rasho's contract, and Marquis.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I could see Detroit trading their early second rounder this year (#36) for Chandler and possibly one of their young PF's in Amir Johnson. This way NO gets another big body, plus a cheap player out of the draft to fill some roster spots. And save themselves about 8M next year.
    Very good post reminding me that teams under the cap don't have to match salaries.

However, if NO trades away Chandler, who is their center and how tall is he? Would he be a good fit next to the small David West in the Western Conference?

Trading Chandler without getting a Center back doesn't make bball sense, but not every trade does due to $.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Actually, the latest rumor has Detroit trading for David West instead of Chandler. If they can get him on the cheap, that would be a real coup for Dumars.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    considering they have Antonio Daniels as their backup, they wont want Tinsley
    Considering they have Antonio Daniels backing up CP3, they clearly need an upgrade.

Mood

Where have you been avoiding? need more posts like that one.

David West would make a TON of sense for Detroit and NO actually. What needs to happen is Detroit gives its #15 overall, Jason Maxiell and their #39 to NO.

-This would give NO about 8M in relief.
    -They wouldn't be trading their center.
    -They would also get back a solid young PF who is signed on the cheap for a couple years to replace the PF you are giving up.
    -NO gets two draft picks this year to round out their final roster spots on the cheap.
    -They get a very young and talented player at 15. Think wing player that can replace the minutes of aging and injured Peja and MoPete. Gerald Henderson would look pretty good next to Chris Paul.

-Detroit builds quickly with the smarts and toughness that got them to the finals in the first place. They use their cap space VERY VERY wisely. Take note Pacers fans for the summer of 2011.
    -They get a back to the basket scorer and tough rebounder. He doesn't block as many shots as you would like, but having a good defensive center like Kwame Brown next to him takes a ton of the onus of the front court duties away from West. Kwame is a solid defensive player and a big body. He does block some shots. Good fit next to West.
    -They have the ability to go sign some free agents to complement a astarting five of: Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, West, Brown. I would say they would need a spot up shooter, a young athletic center, a veteran backup PG, and a slashing scorer on the wing. I would probably pay more than that if I am the Pistons now that I consider it a little more deeply, but NO is desperate to shed some payroll and the Pistons have alot of leverage.