Thread: The Now Famous Susan Boyle Video (Singing)

Default The Now Famous Susan Boyle Video (Singing)

I kept hearing about this so I had to see it for myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
    Last edited by Bball; 04-18-2009 at 02:57 AM. Reason: embed didn't work... just click the link
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Now Famous Susan Boyle Video (Singing)

Damn, I was totally in the dark about this. I thought this was a set up for a joke, so I was looking at her as cynical as everyone else until she started singing... Pretty amazing.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

lone pacers fan in israel tde3000's Avatar

I miss the days when you didn't need to have a good voice for people to appreciate your music.... Led zep, guns, nirvana and lots of others....

Quote Originally Posted by tde3000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I miss the days when you didn't need to have a good voice for people to appreciate your music.... Led zep, guns, nirvana and lots of others....
    I know! Damn those pesky people who want people who sing to actually be good at it! Damn them!

Those same loony's are the reason I can't get in the NBA without the proper talent! It's bull!

-- Steve --

So does Cowell fly from the U.S. to the U.K. and back every single week? My God that has got to make you weary.

If the Pogues can make, Susan Boyle can...

Though I'm not interested in any product of those TV talent cattle drives.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    So does Cowell fly from the U.S. to the U.K. and back every single week? My God that has got to make you weary.
    And he's actually not as much of a douche on Britain's Got Talent, which is a better show than it's American counterpart or American Idol imo.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I just don't get it. She's not that amazing. Nice voice, but you couldn't even hear her before the crowd went nuts. I don't ever watch Idol shows... are the other contestants so bad that she really stands out?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I just don't get it. She's not that amazing. Nice voice, but you couldn't even hear her before the crowd went nuts. I don't ever watch Idol shows... are the other contestants so bad that she really stands out?
    It's the expectations...this is really kind of an upscale gong show (it's US counterpart isn't Idol, it's "America's Got Talent"...it's the second time something like this happened...last year, a guy named Paul Potts (IIRC) came out and blew everybody away with Opera.

In both cases, the people were dumpy and singularly unattractive, and people simply weren't expecting anything.

sweabs

Yep - and from what I've heard he might leave Idol because of it.

I saw Potts. He was amazing.

Boyle is not.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Boyle is not.
    Yeah, that was my take, too...but I believe that reality shows will actually cause the downfall of civilization.

I'm surprised that we haven't had "Running Man" make it on cable somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Yeah, that was my take, too...but I believe that reality shows will actually cause the downfall of civilization.

I'm surprised that we haven't had "Running Man" make it on cable somewhere.
    Ah Richard Dawson....... Loved him on Hogans Heroes

Boyle is not.
    She does have a nice voice. Not a great voice - she doesn't have the lower pitches and her bridges are rough. But a voice coach could work a lot of that out. They've been calling her the favorite to win - if she is then the competition can't be that tough.

By far the best part of the video were the judge reactions. Always fun. Though I think it's right to ask, on the US version of the show we have 2 British judges and one transplanted German - why can't we get an American on the British show? Heck, they could have Madonna rather than Amanda slutserface.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I don't consider those reality shows - those are talent shows which are entirely different and I think are OK (within reason). We've been having those for decades - Star Search, Gong Show, etc.

I completely agree with you on reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race. Haven't figured out what's the appeal. But it's the first step toward us all being able to live in boxes and watch other people's lives instead of living our own. What was that SF short story - "The Machine Breaks?"

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I don't consider those reality shows - those are talent shows which are entirely different and I think are OK (within reason). We've been having those for decades - Star Search, Gong Show, etc.

I completely agree with you on reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race. Haven't figured out what's the appeal. But it's the first step toward us all being able to live in boxes and watch other people's lives instead of living our own. What was that SF short story - "The Machine Breaks?"
    I consider them reality shows in that they gobble up time for what could be some good programming. They are a cut above the Survivors of the world, but I don't like that Idol, as an example, gobbles up mutiple hours on multiple nights.

There was only one "reality" type show that I thought had promise. It came out shortly after Survivor, and it was on Fox. I believe it was called "Small Town X", and it had 10 contestants trying to solve a murder mystery in a small town involving 15 suspects. The concept was cool, but the execution was lousy. The contestants weren't smart enough, and after 7 of the 8 weeks, 8 contestants had been "killed," but they'd only eliminated like 5 or 6 of the 15 suspects. I didn't see much of it, but it at least seemed thoughtful.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

television channels love "reality shows" /etc - anything which gives the channel extra revenue on top of their advertisement income - hence all the shows that have somewhat of a success in ratings AND can produce substantial income from txt messages/voting/etc - then they hit the jackpot...we produce similar content in our company - but we have not gone in the direction like of endemol/etc in regards to prime time programming yet...

lone pacers fan in israel tde3000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    television channels love "reality shows" /etc - anything which gives the channel extra revenue on top of their advertisement income - hence all the shows that have somewhat of a success in ratings AND can produce substantial income from txt messages/voting/etc - then they hit the jackpot...we produce similar content in our company - but we have not gone in the direction like of endemol/etc in regards to prime time programming yet...
    i'll be more than happy to text that hot chick in your avatar

Rumor is that this whole thing was a set-up:

http://www.popeater.com/music/article/susan-boyle-simon-cowells-creation/440819?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.p opeater.com%2Fmusic%2Farticle%2Fsusan-boyle-simon-cowells-creation%2F440819

Which further proves why:

1) American Idol has, at best, highly questionable credibility, and
    2) Simon Cowell is an egotistical, hypocritical, greedy bag of dog vomit on a sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Rumor is that this whole thing was a set-up:

Which further proves why:

1) American Idol has, at best, highly questionable credibility, and
    2) Simon Cowell is an egotistical, hypocritical, greedy bag of dog vomit on a sunny day.
    There's really nothing other than this guy (writer) thinking it's too good to be true to support his claims. Maybe something will break but you're a bit premature to use this as further proof of your points (1 and 2).

Right now Cowell is denying any kind of shenanigans and nobody has reported anything to discredit his comments of no prior knowledge.

And really, if we can say he did see and hear her beforehand and have this knowledge that this is how it would play out, why can't it be true he DID NOT have prior knowledge and made up his mind when he saw her audition? He had to recognize the talent and possibilities at one point or the other.

And also, although maybe the story doesn't play as well if Simon did have prior knowledge of her abilities, it still is the show that gave her this chance and has catapulted her into this world-wide fame.

Now that she's clearly gotten this underdog role carved out will the lowered bar effect still be in play or will she now have to live up to heightened expectations? Nobody expected much of anything before they heard her sing. That gave her an initial edge. Will she now still have that type of edge over a 22 year old hottie that can sing just as well (or better)?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Ah Richard Dawson....... Loved him on Hogans Heroes
    We were searching for Richard Dawson / The Running Man clips here at the office a few weeks back. I think he's great in that movie because its the absurdity of his character that lets you know just how sick and twisted the whole premise really was.

I generally don't watch reality shows because I agree with Count's premise - those are going to be the downfall of modern society.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    We were searching for Richard Dawson / The Running Man clips here at the office a few weeks back. I think he's great in that movie because its the absurdity of his character that lets you know just how sick and twisted the whole premise really was.

I generally don't watch reality shows because I agree with Count's premise - those are going to be the downfall of modern society.
    I will occasionally look at somebody at work, and say, "Ya look pissed, Ben."

It sails right over their head.

The other one I use, not from this movie, is "Is it safe?"...it's stunning how much that loses when you have to explain it.

I don't know why I keep saying it, other than the futile hope that someone, somewhere, will get it some day.

I will occasionally look at somebody at work, and say, "Ya look pissed, Ben."

It sails right over their head.

The other one I use, not from this movie, is "Is it safe?"...it's stunning how much that loses when you have to explain it.

I don't know why I keep saying it, other than the futile hope that someone, somewhere, will get it some day.
    I saw Marathon Man when I was very young and I believe it inspired a fear of dentists which I still have.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I saw Marathon Man when I was very young and I believe it inspired a fear of dentists which I still have.
    I'm ok with dentists, but I'm deathly afraid of Laurence Olivier.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I saw the video (finally).

Is it just me, or does she look like John Belushi in Animal House - specifically the Toga Party scene?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you