Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Game, Pacers v Bucks, Pacers come from way back.

Default Post Game, Pacers v Bucks, Pacers come from way back.

I turned the game off after the third quarter, good thing I taped it. Danny was all over the place and brought the Pacers back from 17 down.

DANNY GRANGER
    Scored 16 of his 35 points in the fourth quarter, adding five rebounds, two assists and two blocks in the period. Finished with 35 overall, adding nine rebounds, four assists, three steals and three blocked shots.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 04-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Post Game, Pacers v Bucks, Pacers come from way back.

Bittersweet end for the season.

I am very sad that it's over.

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

I'm so pumped for next season.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, real interesting night that wrapped up with Hicks, Shade, Seth and myself having an extended conversation with Danny Granger Sr. He is rather pumped about next season and he basically told us what Danny is going to be working on during this off season. Pretty good stuff.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Yeah, it was great talking with DGS. He's a very optimistic guy. It was also cool seeing Mark Montieth and Stacy Paetz up close and personal.

Great game by Danny, but you also have to give it up for Rush. He's really finding his shot, and applying it when it matters most (the 4th quarter).

We outscored the Bucks 43-20 in the 4th tonight.

I'm sad to see the season come to an end, even though it wasn't exacly a great season from a win-loss standpoint. Let's re-sign Jack, acquire the right PF, and get back to the playoffs next year!

I hope Granger improves his passing and post moves in the offseason.. he would be a beast if he could make those parts of his game respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, real interesting night that wrapped up with Hicks, Shade, Seth and myself having an extended conversation with Danny Granger Sr. He is rather pumped about next season and he basically told us what Danny is going to be working on during this off season. Pretty good stuff.
    Tell us what he said!

Talking Re: Post Game, Pacers v Bucks, Pacers come from way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Tell us what he said!

I second that motion ...

Do tell..........
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Ok... We were just shooting the bull like usual about 45 mins after the game. We seen Granger Sr. just talking and looked like he was just waiting by the Guest Relations desk. Seth or someone mentioned getting a picture with him, so I just asked him and the dude was real receptive to it. Hopefully Seth can post the pic in this thread.

From there... he started talking to us about his excitement for the team. First thing he spoke about was how we should of been in the play-offs. He really felt that if we could have just got maybe 5 or 6 of those close games. We'd be there. Nothing Earth shattering, but very enthusiastic.

When we started talking about the close games... He mentioned Dunleavy.... If Mike was healthy, making the play-offs would have been no sweat. We all kind of talked about Mike a bit. I forgot who asked, but one of the guys asked about Dunleavy's condition. I was kind of expecting a very vanilla answer, but Senior surprised us by saying that he's spoken with Dunleavy personally. Dun is indicating that the early rehab is going very good and he was expecting to be back sooner then "the rumor" has him coming back.

The next conversation point was about Roy Hibbert. He was very complimentary of Roy by saying that Roy was going to be our franchise player down low. We all agreed that Roy needs more help down low.

After that, we started talking about Danny. He mentioned that Danny was going strait to L.A. to start his off season workouts. Hicks commented that if Danny improves his ball handles, Danny would be unstoppable. Seniors eyes kind of lit up and that was when he mentioned all the things DG was working on this summer. I might be forgetting a few things here, but he said that Danny was going to work on his defense #1, some post moves and finishing with his left hand. It felt like he said more, but this is all I can remember.

Just as he was wrapping that up, Stacy Paetz kind of broke it up and slid in to give Senior a good bye hug. Telling him that she'd see him down the road..

So, that was our time with DG Sr. I'm sure I forgot some of the conversation, but Seth, Hicks, and Shade can fill in the holes.

Duke, this all took place about a minute or two after you walked off
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Ok... We were just shooting the bull like usual about 45 mins after the game. We seen Granger Sr. just talking and looked like he was just waiting by the Guest Relations desk. Seth or someone mentioned getting a picture with him, so I just asked him and the dude was real receptive to it. Hopefully Seth can post the pic in this thread.

From there... he started talking to us about his excitement for the team. First thing he spoke about was how we should of been in the play-offs. He really felt that if we could have just got maybe 5 or 6 of those close games. We'd be there. Nothing Earth shattering, but very enthusiastic.

When we started talking about the close games... He mentioned Dunleavy.... If Mike was healthy, making the play-offs would have been no sweat. We all kind of talked about Mike a bit. I forgot who asked, but one of the guys asked about Dunleavy's condition. I was kind of expecting a very vanilla answer, but Senior surprised us by saying that he's spoken with Dunleavy personally. Dun is indicating that the early rehab is going very good and he was expecting to be back sooner then "the rumor" has him coming back.

The next conversation point was about Roy Hibbert. He was very complimentary of Roy by saying that Roy was going to be our franchise player down low. We all agreed that Roy needs more help down low.

After that, we started talking about Danny. He mentioned that Danny was going strait to L.A. to start his off season workouts. Hicks commented that if Danny improves his ball handles, Danny would be unstoppable. Seniors eyes kind of lit up and that was when he mentioned all the things DG was working on this summer. I might be forgetting a few things here, but he said that Danny was going to work on his defense #1, some post moves and finishing with his left hand. It felt like he said more, but this is all I can remember.

Just as he was wrapping that up, Stacy Paetz kind of broke it up and slid in to give Senior a good bye hug. Telling him that she'd see him down the road..

So, that was our time with DG Sr. I'm sure I forgot some of the conversation, but Seth, Hicks, and Shade can fill in the holes.

I get the impression from what you said that it even furthers the idea of how good the chemistry is with this team. With Senior talking about Dunleavy in that way it implies to me there is some respect there. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but I'd think if Granger felt Dunleavy couldn't play an important role for the team then that would filter to Senior and make a difference in his own opinion.

Same with the comments about Hibbert.

I hope the team invests in some big man coaching working directly with Hibbert. I see too many flashes of good things from him to not think there's something there that we need and can use.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Um had to more than a min. or two as I was there a good 10 min or more after Duke left and this happened after I left. I assume that Somehow Evans showed up as you were leaving to offer you a ride home in Boomers Van.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

I hope the team invests in some big man coaching working directly with Hibbert. I see too many flashes of good things from him to not think there's something there that we need and can use.

Bball, I've been saying and advocating this for years. I felt Walsh was inflexible in this concern. I still feel if they had Harrison would have been a better player, not saying he temper and weed habits would have changed. As most have come to realize I'm not a Bird GM fan, BUT I do like the direction he has set the Pacers going towards. I hope he doesn't make the Williams/White mistake in the draft at #13. I wasn't in favor of Hibbert or Rush as picks, but Speights and Lee. I must admit both Rush and Hibbert show future promise. B/c of the promise in Hibbert, I feel it is more imperative than ever to get a big man coach for Hibbert. I hope Bird and the Simons see and realize this as well thus bringing in a big man coach.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 04-16-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    ... acquire the right PF...
    Patrick Patterson declared but won't hire an agent. I think he'd be a very good fit with the Pacers and should be there at 13. Could trade back and still get him and maybe dump Tinsley?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Good to hear that defense is the top target for Danny, who was derided by a few that he took more pride in shutting guys down last year and took care of business more on the scoring end of the court.

Now to Buck concerning JO'B. We have had our share of differences of opinions concerning O'Brien. I have never been a JO'B hater or wanted him fired. I just don't like "Jimmy's run n gun with little 'D' style game. I'll be the first to say he had the Pacers playing better the last 20-25 games this year. His modus operandi the last 2 seasons is to get the Pacers playing better towards the end of the season only to come up short. I just want it to start at the beginning of the season and have the team playing "D" instead of "his perfect game" of run n gun outscoring the opposition while playing little "D". "D" Jimmy, it truly does work! Work on "D" for your system for next year keeping in mind you have the core returning that has played in your system 1-2 years. Incorporate and expand the concept of MORE "D" for the players in your style/system. Playing "D" and scoring aren't incompatible with each other, they can work together, so do it.

I know Buck, you are going to say he does teach it. Then maybe he's teaching or presenting it incorrectly. Bottomline is it just ain't work'n for whatever reason so it needs to be changed. Next year is a year for either success or a new coach for 2010-11. The ball is in your court Jimmy... success or failure. No more 36-46 teams with a push towards the end of the season only to miss the playoffs.... AGAIN!

I've enjoyed watching the growth of Granger and Murphy this year in JO'B's style play, among others, but I want to get to the playoffs. Teams win in the playoffs playing "D". I, like others, feel we would have been there this year, even w/o Dun, if "D" had been played. JMOAA

P/S O'Brien PLEASE get some new ties for next season. Your selection of ties, mostly stripes, are just down right horrible! For someone that likes flash in his game, you are ultra-conservatively boring in your choice of ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

Now to Buck concerning JO'B. We have had our share of differences of opinions concerning O'Brien. I have never been a JO'B hater or wanted him fired. I just don't like "Jimmy's run n gun with little 'D' style game. I'll be the first to say he had the Pacers playing better the last 20-25 games this year. His modus operandi the last 2 seasons is to get the Pacers playing better towards the end of the season only to come up short. I just want it to start at the beginning of the season and have the team playing "D" instead of "his perfect game" of run n gun outscoring the opposition while playing little "D". "D" Jimmy, it truly does work! Work on "D" for your system for next year keeping in mind you have the core returning that has played in your system 1-2 years. Incorporate and expand the concept of MORE "D" for the players in your style/system. Playing "D" and scoring aren't incompatible with each other, they can work together, so do it.

I know Buck, you are going to say he does teach it. Then maybe he's teaching or presenting it incorrectly. Bottomline is it just ain't work'n for whatever reason so it needs to be changed. Next year is a year for either success or a new coach for 2010-11. The ball is in your court Jimmy... success or failure. No more 36-46 teams with a push towards the end of the season only to miss the playoffs.... AGAIN!

I've enjoyed watching the growth of Granger and Murphy this year in JO'B's style play, among others, but I want to get to the playoffs. Teams win in the playoffs playing "D". I, like others, feel we would have been there this year, even w/o Dun, if "D" had been played. JMOAA

I don't disagree with anything in your post. Some of the better record at the end had to do with the schedule - I cannot ever remember a more brutal schedule through December - the number of games and the quality of the opponent was incredible and that was why I and several others around the second week of January figured from that point forward the team should be at least a .500 team the rest of the way. Also having so many key new players hurt early on and missing Dunleavy really hurt early on because of all the new players. (Having two new point guards really is tough - because they control everything)

The question needs to be asked. Is this team not capable of playing good defense - do they not have the quickness or mental capacity to do it. They certainly lack the inside players to play more than adequate defense IMO they have Jeff and no one else. Roy has really improved, and I expect him to be a factor defensively next season, but this past season with all his fouling and just being a rookie he was a negative.

The key for me is that Danny has to start training camp with defense on his mind - that is the key - if he commits to it - the rest of the team will follow.

I don't buy the theory that this defensive system cannot work - it can and it has in the past and with other teams and other coaches.

JOB needs to start anew next traning camp making defense the emphasis. - Also would help picking up a coupled of players who specialize in defense

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought that MCRoberts played great on defense. He rotated exceptionally well on the pick n roll. Jack, Ford, and Danny penetrated and allowed for out shooters open shots and bigs easy lay ins. The players after the game really showed like they were enjoying each other. Danny giving high 5s to the crowd really shows how much he enjoys playing here.

JOB put in Diener and Mc Roberts and the Pacers got a Victory. What a great end to the season. I had no idea Dan Gadzurick was muscular. Joe Alexender got outplayed by Rush.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Alexander did better in draft workouts though.

I am satisfied with the way that the team played and performed this year, but next year I am really hoping for a playoff berth. I followed the team pretty closely as I always do and had a fun time with it, but I was never emotionally invested to the point where I was really pulling for them to win because I knew for the start that this would be a rebuilding year.

Next year, though, I am really going to emotionally invest myself into the Pacers making the playoffs and if they don't, I'll be really disappointed. With the emergence of Danny, the continuing development of Rush and Hibbert, and maybe some frontcourt help in the offseason we should be in the playoffs. Then we would be a good PG away from being a really good playoff team. I'm excited.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Um had to more than a min. or two as I was there a good 10 min or more after Duke left and this happened after I left. I assume that Somehow Evans showed up as you were leaving to offer you a ride home in Boomers Van.
    It's alright. I got to talk to him for a while in Home Court earlier in the season.

He asked me if I wanted him to take my jersey and have it autographed after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    He asked me if I wanted him to take my jersey and have it autographed after the game.
    Are you sure you weren't almost duped by a look-alike?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert Laugh View Post
    Are you sure you weren't almost duped by a look-alike?
    I am sure. I've seen his father many times. And he's pretty recognizable.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Also having so many key new players hurt early on and missing Dunleavy really hurt early on because of all the new players. (Having two new point guards really is tough - because they control everything)

Anyone who expected a team with the kind of personnel changes this one had to come out without having to gel was nuts.

There can be some argument over why they didn't seem to gel more quickly, was it coaching or injuries or some combination, but there should have been every expectation that the team would be better down the stretch than at the beginning of the season.

I would not be surprised if we have a couple of steps back at the beginning of next season as well. Consider that at minimum we might lose Jack and/or trade Foster or Murphy - these are players who have been key to the style being played and therefore the replacements will have a learning curve.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What, no mention of Rush in this game?

15 points in the 4th quarter, during the huge run. He was pivotal. I'm absolutely loving the potential of Granger/Rush combo.